Philips 9617 / Widescreen

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by eno, Aug 10, 2002.

1. eno

eno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got a Philips 9617,and im very pleased with it.I just have a qustion :How can i get widescreen as my fist choice?Is there a place where i can save it,to be shown anytime i turn on ?Hope you understand.

2. Nick23

Nick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wish they would have told me this before I got mine. There is no way to get it to default to widescreen... it will always come on in superzoom. Thankfully though I'm not keeping mine and I've managed to pull a good deal to get it replaced with something soon that should be alot better..... I'll let you know what after I get it.

3. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The 9617 in common with many other modern TVs employs Auto-Switching when it detect a WideScreen signal. If you want to watch ALL your broadcasts (regardless of format) in 16:9 then switch off Automatic Format in the install menu. Then just go into Widescreen mode. Why do you want to do this? On 4:3 broadcasts, the picture will look very strange! If you really want the picture to fill the screen all the time, a better option is to leave Auto Format on but "train" the TV to use Super Zoom rather that 4:3 for 4:3 material... this distorts the image much less. To do this:

Go to a purely widescreen channel.

Press the aspect button until it says "Widescreen" on the screen.

Wait a few seconds.

Press the aspect button, it should now say "Automatic"

Go to a pure 4:3 channel, e.g. Sky News.

Press the aspect button until it says "SuperZoom".

Wait a few seconds.

Press the aspect button, it should now say "Automatic".

You're done! The TV should now auto-switch, keeping the screen filled, but with minimal distortion.

btw. I personally like seeing broadcasts as intended: i.e. 16:9 as 16:9 and 4:3 as 4:3, I don't care about black bars!

Hope this helps. ;)

4. sorbiegunner

sorbiegunner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I thought that I had found the answer here but alas the model number is 1 out (edit: sorry on re-reading few thousand out). I have the the 28pw6517. The set is excellent in everything apart from docimentation, which is cr*p. I have managed to disable auto switching twice by mistake and both times have managed to get it back on again through hours of trial and error, but I still don't know I managed to do either. The manual is no help what-so-ever. The auto format option in the install menu (mentioned above) is not present in this set. I would like to know how to disable and re-enable auto switching on purpose and in seconds, instead of by accident and in hours.
    Oh yes and can anyone throw any light on 'smart text'