Philips 9617 - service menu question - please help

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by arifn1, Apr 29, 2002.

1. arifn1

arifn1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nyqvil Driver, Zacabeb or anyone who knows what they are talking about.

I have a Philips 28inch 9617 (with a cybertube I believe). I think it is a great TV but the vertical lines - the geometry - aren't plum perfect. When I am watching a 14:9 broadcast the borders curve outwards top left and right. Similarily there is a little bit of parallel curvature in the actual picture. Now these flaws are small and only if you are looking for them - but I understand that they are possible to fix in the service menu. My question - how can I get into my service menu on this set and what do I do when I get there?

Please help. Ta

2. freeky

freeky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do you have the 2 dots either side of the screen like zacabeb said?

i would like to know if 28's have cyber and 32/35 panasonic ones?

3. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The service menu is a very dangerous place to enter on the Philips sets. The menu is more comprehensible and straightforward than on many other brands, but there are two things you must know before you enter it.
    1. If you enter the service menu code incorrectly, you will reset the entire chassis to default - not the default adjusted by the factory, but the pre-programmed defaults of the chassis as they were before the factory adjusted the set.
    2. There is a dangerous option called 'Initialize NVM' in the service menu. This clears the Non-Volatile Memory used to store all the chassis settings, and as such it will also reset the chassis to its pre-adjustment default.
      [/list=1]
      Both of them can mess your TV up so badly it will be a nightmare even for a service engineer to recalibrate the TV.

If you still dare, you can enter the service menu using a numeric code.

You can find that code at http://home.hccnet.nl/m.majoor/

Start your mission by carefully stepping through the menus and writing every setting down, including the Option Code.

And of course, you have to do all of that at your own risk :)

4. arifn1

arifn1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I may leave it alone - as I say the curvuture is very minor. I definatly have a cybertube and as I speculated in an earlier post so does Nyqvil driver and we both have 28inch screens - it maybe that these all have philips CRTs.

5. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    arifn1- My 9617 also has minor bends in a couple of places but I decided against using the SM in the end. The Philips menus are too mercurial for my liking and (like Zacabeb says) it's possible to mess things up even if you're ultra-careful. I successfully adjusted the geometry on the Panny/JVC sets I previously had, but I always knew that as long as I was methodical, there wasn't any danger of knackering them.

I got the Philips service codes that work for the 9617 (and some background info) from Ludae but he actually convinced me not to bother. In my case, the main discrepancies seems to be in the top-centre/top-right and I'd have to make wholesale changes in order to rectify these (I'd probably do more harm than good). In actual fact, what troubles me the most is that the dividing line in the split-screen P+ demo has a noticeable arc (it's like a banana!). It's not an issue with regular viewing and if there's a similar curvature to all images, I honestly can't see it. The bendy line certainly takes the shine off the demo itself though and I can hardly use it show-off now can I?!.

The borders on 4:3 material aren't dead-straight either (the very top of the borders bend outwards), but the bends only appear when there's a sudden fluctuation in contrast or an extended period of bright imagery. The borders on the 14:9 setting actually do the opposite (bend inwards), so I'd be opening a can of worms if I ever attempted to rectify all of these quirks at the same time. The Philips trend of having the entire lower half bend very slightly (and symmetrically) upwards is present also, but I don't mind that (my 6005 did that aswell so I'm used to it)....

Yikes!, it sounds pretty terrible when described in such a negative way, but trust me, the deviations mentioned above are more-than acceptable by current CRT standards. The set doesn't have any issues that spoil my enjoyment of day-to-day viewing so it would probably be a bit dim to risk lousing everything up. Basically though, the novelty of owning a decent TV hasn't worn off for me yet so I've been able to resist the urge.

If you decide to give it a shot, let us know how you get on....

6. deff

deff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Zacabeb,

What did you do with your panny errr pw329616. Mine which I have had for 6 months has the panny tube. How are the rest of you with this model finding it

deff

7. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've kept my 32PW9616 and intend to do so until I find the 32PW9617 is available with the Cybertube HD. I am honestly not very interested in Pixel Plus and would like to have a pure 100Hz mode, something Philips assasinated on the 9617.

The reason I want a pure 100Hz option is that I play a lot of video games, and often Natural Motion has a problem with them, depending on frame rates and movement. The high saturation in video games also brings out errors in color vector processing, causing colors to trail behind. Digital Scan doesn't feel right as it tends to blur things too much; while Natural Motion re-interlaces thus keeping the sharpness, Digital Scan uses median filtering to blur the flicker away. Digital Scan might work better on the new Eagle-IC used in the 9617.

8. deff

deff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Zacabeb, I havn't experience any problems so far with my pw329616. Have you made any tweaks to the default picture settings and if so you pass on any tips to improve my picture performance.

Also how to you find the rear speakers?

Deff

9. shaf

shaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've had a close look at my 32pw9617 and have found the two 'dreaded' dots that Zacabeb mentioned in an earlier post. Therefore this means that its not a cybertube.

I am deciding on what to do, should I ask for a replacement, if so on what grounds as I am happy with the set. I really need to see what diffeence a cybertube makes.

anyone got any comments/ideas.