1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 9617 Or 32dx100

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by elviobarros, May 19, 2002.

1. elviobarros

elviobarros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can Get a Sony 32dx100 for 1429.00 (k.k electronics)
    Or a 329617 p+for 1250 (Hiway Hifi) Which is the better of the two. Be Honest!!!!!!!

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Given the quality control problems experienced by Sony, I personally would go for the philips. Also the future of free to air digital terrestrial tv doen't look certain.

Best way is for you to decide for yourself though, take a favourite DVD and go to a shop with them both on display... (e.g Harrods) be sure you can have a play with the remote to alter settings etc.

Also when you buy make sure of the returns policy of the shop both if the set is faulty OR not suited to your liking. Good luck! ;)

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nothing is going to happen to free to air digital terrestrial.

The future of ITV Digital is uncertain.

The two are not to be confused.

4. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Haven't you heard that the future of the platform is under serious review. I'm not confusing the two. The only people that remain committed to DTT are the Government. Although the BBC has expressed some interest, there are still questions about the platform's long term viability given the lack of support from other media companies and also the poor coverage and quality of signal compared to other platforms.

5. Moin

Moin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Robert Whyte are doing the philips for 1129 pounds, what a price ...

6. beavis

beavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, it's a good price, but when you add a stand and delivery, it comes to £1,289 although that includes a 5 yr warranty.

I'm debating whether to get the 32" or 36".

Cheers

B

7. bigfatlad

bigfatlad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cant quite give a direct comparison to the Philips P+, but I can offer my opinion on the DX100.

After all the negative threads relating to Sony TV's I too did not really consider owning a Sony an option.
    Until, that was, I saw the 32dx100 in action. Before my beautiful dx100 I tried 2 Panasonics and the Toshiba 32zp18. Without a doubt the Sony DX100 has the best 100hz processing of all the sets I tried, in fact when I watch it I keep wishing it was bigger. I never wanted any of the other sets I tried to be larger as I thought there were just too many 100hz nasties/blocking/ hidden features, present already. (The 32zp18 was much better the pannys) I think either Sony TV's have some kind of 'block' removing filter, or their (Sonys) 100hz processing is simply the best.

I did look at the PixelPlus (in the shop, not at home like the other sets) but from what i could see of it displaying DVD and TV broadcasts I preferred the look if the Sony image.

if _you_ think the Philips P+ image is as good as the sonyDX100 then, i think you should go for the 36incher. Your size issue aside ;) , in my humble opinion, you really cant go wrong with the 32dx100, it is stunning, simply the best tv i have ever used. I personally would (and did) choose it over the 36inch P+.

I’ve had it for about 3months now and despite looking for the dreaded scrolling bars I have yet to see them, or any other fault for that matter. I only use the TV connected via (RGB) scart to my sky digibox, so I cannot comment on its digital tuner.

cheers

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's why nothing is going to happen to digital terrestrial...

The transfer from analogue to digital TV is inevitable, it's just a question of when. The only way to ensure that everybody has access to digital TV is via digital terrestrial. Unless of course the government is going to start paying subscriptions and installation monies to Sky along with income support and pensions... unlikely I think. The monopolies and mergers commission might have something to say about that as well. As for the prospect that the whole nation will be covered in satellite dishes... *shudder*! But seriously, no matter what is being talked about at the moment, nothing CAN happen to digital terrestrial because it is the ONLY way forward for enabling mass accessibility to digital TV.

Regarding your comments about coverage and quality of signal, please refer to this thread, which discusses DVB vs. Sky in more depth: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37127

And yes, in case you're wondering, I use digital terrestrial NOT Sky ;) Personally, I find the picture and sound quality to be consistently tremendous. And that's from a £98 Pace box plugged into my FM aerial!

Cheers :)

9. arifn1

arifn1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The BBCs position is simple - it needs DTT because it is the most cost effective way to get its Free To Air channels like Choice (3) and 4 via a one off payment for the new Pace box etc. The BBC wants less channels available on DTT in the future so that the signal quality of its channels is improved (so bye bye Granada Men and Motors on DTT.) If this happens then the coverage of DTT and its attractiveness (potyentially much better picture quality than Sky) would be improved. This is likely to happen. Ther BBC may well buy or be part of a consortium to buy the MUXs (transmitters)

So - DTT will continue - providing the new FTA channels for those of us who want them but don't want to make monthly payments for pay TV. the other advantage of DTT over analogue is that the picture quality is in my view already better than analogue - no ghosting for a start.

10. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree. A similar discussion has been going on on this thread: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37127
    That would explain the new BBC test channels that are appearing on DTTV (http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37405)
    Of course it's already better! It's crystal clear on mine (as it should be for everyone) and only subject to the quality of the original source that was digitised. I defy anyone to try digital terrestrial on their TV and not instantly notice the improvement :)

11. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Is the Robert Whyte price for the Philips an 'internet' price or is this available (inc warranty) from the store? As this makes a very nice pricematching solution for Mr John Lewis & his good friend Mr Fraser...or technically even Mr Curry now THERES a challenge....

cheers

Berth;)

12. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    bertha - I'm not entirely sure but with Robert Whyte, be sure to add the price of a stand and delivery as they often don't include it. Why not just phone them and ask? If they then aren't the cheapest look at Pricerunner and look again! Do tell us when you order and receive the TV etc.