Philips 9617 - Geometry Issues

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Barry_X, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Barry_X

Barry_X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, fantastic TV - great image quality and sound and P+ is stunning. Only problem is the geometry is way off (see attached image).

[​IMG]

Image shows what it looks like when playing a Widescreen DVD. Both bottom corners bend down and top right bend up but it's the top left that's the worst with the upwards bend taking Satellite TV Channels logo's off the screen! Anyone else had these issues and managed to get it improved?

2. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Typical Quintrix F pincushion distortion. AFAIK there's no easy way to correct that, even on the service menu. Sorry.

3. Barry_X

Barry_X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thing is I've checked demonstration 9617 sets in-store and they don't have anything like the same amount of distortion. A technician is SUPPOSED to be getting back to me from Philips - will wait and see what they say............

4. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ouch! That does look bad! I do think you should have a go in the service menu, I managed to fix mine except for a slight curve in the bottom left. Look for the Top and Bottom "East/West Corner Correction" function.

5. Barry_X

Barry_X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having only had the set for 6 weeks and still well within my warranty period I am reluctant to do the "Service Menu" thing myself . If the technician can't offer any help I'll be asking for a new set so I'll wait and see what he says first.......

6. greenthumb

greenthumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahaah!!!! Just the evidence I needed when arguing with Philips the other day. i mentioned the Panasonic tube had geometry issues and he basically said that is news to him and that,get this!!, "We have never received any customer complaints regarding geometry issues on the Pixel plus range" He was adamant that there is no problem and that "all Philips tubes are manafactured to the same high specs at the same factory.......blah blah" you know the rest. Send them a picture, might make them listen but I doubt it.:mad:
    When are they going to come clean!!!!!!

7. Barry_X

Barry_X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The thing is at first I was so blown away with P+ and the superb sound quality that I was blinkered to the warped screen. After a two week holiday (in Majorca) though I have returned and found that, on balance and considering the amount of money I have paid, that the geometry is not up to scratch.

My supplier had forwarded my image and comments to the technical dept of Philips and is awaiting a response.

8. Barry_X

Barry_X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For those interested I have still heard nothing from my supplier or Philips on this issue. Patience is starting to wear thin.......

9. Gerbil

Gerbil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Sorry to hear that, but not too surprising I'm afraid.

I emailed Philips customer service regarding geometry issues with my 9617 about 10 days ago and had nothing back other than an automated acknowledgment.

I'm now waiting for a Loewe to replace it, but I'm still interested to hear Philips response to the John Lewis suggestion that all 9617s have the same geometry problem.

Good luck...

10. Barry_X

Barry_X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally getting TV replaced a week on Wednesday.......

11. Barry_X

Barry_X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had new TV for about a week now. The geometry is certainly better than the old set although there is still a slight upturn in the top left corner - but I can live with this. Unfortunately there is a 3" dark spot in the top right which is starting to annoy the hell out of me.

Doesn't seem like I'm ever going to get a set I'm entirely happy with........maybe I'm too fussy?

12. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Good to hear the geometry on this one's a bit better.

Try using the set for another week, switching off at the TV rather than by remote every night. The TV will then degauss every morning.... hopefully this will cure spots, blotches etc. After a while of doing this, my screen is now completely free of this type of thing.

13. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +724
    Do you really have to turn the TV off and on to get it to degauss?

My Sony used to come on with a really loud THUMP when it came out of standby, which is the degauss mechanism... My Philips comes on with a 'bong' which also thought was the degauss?

Is there any reason why turning if off, rather than standby will make the difference??

14. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Turning my TV off does seem to give it a better degauss than standby. The "bong/thump" is much more pronounced if it has been left off for a while rather than for a similar time in standby.

I suppose the best way to explain is in terms of computer monitors... when using my monitor for a long period of time, I will sometimes degauss it. The sound heard is pronounced but nowhere near so as when the thing is first turned on from cold.

I won't pretend that I know for sure the way the Philips TVs are setup for degaussing... but it seems to work for me!

I really don't have a single patch on my screen now!

15. Barry_X

Barry_X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, turning off at the power HAS made a difference but the dark corner has far from gone completely. Still very noticeable when the background is light. A technician took a look at the weekend and said it was quite noticable but not as bad as he has seen.......!! He suggested that a new set might have the same or worse and that what I had was pretty good.

Is this what we've come to expect from a £1,600 TV.........????

16. Barry_X

Barry_X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Technician called on Saturday with a magnetic "magic wand"! After plugging his "wand" into a power source he proceeded to "suck" out the bad corners of my TV (which gave some intersting colour banding) before pulling his "wand" away from the screen and running over the other side of the room with it.

The result being: For a couple of days the dark corners had all but vanished but they appear to be returning slowly......looks like I'll be giving them another call.......

17. core

core

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll run every burn-in / out test tomorrow at store (even wet-in) before I pay for my 36PW9527 and carry it home..

18. Jimmi

Jimmi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Im probably really late to this thread but I'd just like to add I have the 28" Philips set and have the same geometry issue reported here although not as bad. At first I thought it was me being too anal and looking for faults with the TV set rather than just watching it and I actually thought it was impossible for the horizontal top and bottom lines to be out, but I put on a dvd with a aspect ratio of 2.35:1 and decided to measure the black bars at the top and bottom and the far right of the screen is roughly 2mm lower than the far left.
    Its not something thats hugely noticeable and my TV is only 1 week old, I don't know whether to insist on changing it or to accept it for being ever so slightly out because you really have no way of knowing if a replacement Philips (or any other model) will actually improve the problem.
    I've come to the conclusion that every single TV has faults (especially WS) and its down to deciding how much you can put up with.

19. Jimmi

Jimmi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Well I phoned up Philips and they sent an engineer round to take a look. He said that there's nothing that can be done about iffy geometry and didnt even attempt to try using the service menu. Truth be told, I don't even think he knows the service menu exists. He then said he'd have a word with some people from Philips and see if they offer a solution. :(

20. Jimmi

Jimmi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    ....and they havent bothered getting back to me, which is nice. :rolleyes:

21. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You say that one side is lower than the other... is this because of bending or are the lines just straight but tilted? If it is just tilt this can easily be corrected in the "Installation" menu.

22. Jimmi

Jimmi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    It appears to be a liitle of both.
    I certainly get slight bending in the center but it also dips down slightly. The 2 geometry issues combined means that I end up with one side lower than the other.