1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 9617 Auto Switching....

Discussion in 'TVs' started by nicktf, Mar 4, 2003.

1. nicktf

nicktf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I've had the beast nearly a week, and while I'm really happy with the picture, I don't think I've quite bottomed out the auto switching. It seems to work ok - ie if I move through the channels of my digibox it resizes the screen appropriately. However, when watching the analogue signal (I'm a teletext junkie!) the "superzoomed" picture is cropped at the top and bottom - Obviously, I'd expect this, as 4:3 into 16:9 doesn't go. BUT on certain channels I get a cropped top screen and an inch or so wide black strip of available screen at the bottom.

So, a couple of questions....

1) Is this "by design" as they say"
    2) Does an analogue signal supply screen format information

Cheers

Nick

2. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It depends what you want.

Pursists (like me), prefer to watch all TV programmes as far as possible in their original format.

So that means 4:3 programmes have black "pillar box" bars on each side of the picture.

Just to confuse matters, if the broadcasters has reformatted a 16:9 programme to 4:3 - for example some of the UK Gold stuff that was 16:9 when shown on BBC - they use a compromise 14:9 setting which gives narrow black bars at the top and bottom as well.

Now other people don't like the purist's way of watching, so TVs have all kinds of clever automatic switching to make the picture fill the screen - one way or another!

That ranges from a compromise zoom position which enlarges the whole picture, but often cuts off captions and graphics, to the worst of all, which stretches a 4:3 picture sideways to fill the screen.

So you either let the TV do its clever stuff and risk the occasional odd result, or you do what I do and select the right screen size manually - you pays your money...

I don't share the view that I need to fill the whole screen the whole time, just because I've paid for it, but some folk do!

3. mjm01

mjm01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Channel 4, and possibly channel 5, include a widecreen signal that, although not anamorphic, tells the TV to switch to 'zoom', 'cinema' or whatever the equivelent on your set is for zooming up letterbox format pictures.

Mark

4. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    1. The black strip is because you inadvertantly pressed the "up" button on the 4 way circle on the remote... press "down"

2. Some channels do... itv always do, BBC only sometimes, others occasionally.

For info as regards to switching set-up look at my post here (substitute super-zoom with 4:3 if you want to watch broadcasts as intended) http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43868

Hope this helps ;)

5. nicktf

nicktf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks one and all, All my questions answered before lunch! :D

6. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That's your TV sensing the picture with black bars not a broadcaster signal... clever tele! :smoke: