1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 9616, speakers AAAAARRRGGGHHH

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by jeffspiers, Feb 11, 2002.

1. jeffspiers

jeffspiers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What the hell do I have to do to get these external speakers working? They are proper doing my head in!!
    Are they supposed to work all the time or what?
    I,ve run the test what ya can do but they don,t come on, just the ones on the telly (2 side and 1 middle)
    Please help me before I go out and trade this great telly for something a little less complicated.

2. NigelC

NigelC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Jeff,

I took delivery of a 28PW9616 last saturday. I had doubts as whether the rear speakers were working ok as well. I was not too bothered at the time as I needed to fit a power socket behind the sofa which I have now done. The speakers are OK now I have completed the install but I am not sure what I did to make them work. Lets start of by some answers to the following:

Are you only experiencing the problem in Dolby Digital mode?

If you cycle the sound setting to HALL do the speakers work?

Is the FM box connected properly at the back of the TV?

What are your settings in the Installation - Sound section?

Have you left the switch on the master speaker set to channel 1?

What colour is the power LED on the master speaker?

In the sound test in Dolby Digital mode, do you hear the test sound in the rear speakers?

These are pretty basic questions but we can start from here.

NigelC

3. NigelC

NigelC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Jeff,

Following my reply from last night, here are my sound settings as follows:

Installation Menu (press "clock" and "?" buttons together)

SETUP > Sound Setup

Auto Surround <Off>
    Wireless Surround <Channel 1>
    (Check this matches the slider switch setting on the base of the master speaker.)
    Extra Front Speakers <No>
    Distance to Front speakers <2M> (This may be different to yours depending on location)
    Distance to Rear speakers <2M> (This may be different to yours depending on location)

Now exit this menu. While watching TV as normal. Press the MENU button on the remote.

MAIN MENU > Sound

Surround Settings

Surround Mode <Pro Logic>

Start the test, there will be a test sound that cycles around the speakers. Set the relevant volume settings to balance this level so all speakers appear to have the same volume from where you normally sit. My settings are:

Rear L & R volume ~90%
    Balance 50%
    Centre Volume ~60%

Stop the test and go back 1 level to the SOUND menu.

Volume, Treble, Bass, Headphone Volume set to suit your personal choice.

Wireless Headphone <Off>

Exit this menu and watch TV as normal. Press the "Surround Mode" button on your remote to make sure you are in Dolby mode. Your rear speakers should now be set up. You will only hear sound from them when watching program material, Video or DVD that is marked DD Dolby Suround. Hope this helps.

NigelC

4. jeffspiers

jeffspiers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nigel, I,ll tell you what mate, that manual with my telly is about as clear as mud. I,ve come in from work today and my wifes cousin has managed to get them working but, like you, he doesn,t know how he,s done it. When I was trying I could get the speakers working in the HALL mode but when they came on, the speakers on the telly went off. It does seem to sound best in the HALL mode, what do you think. No doubt it will sound even better when I get a DVD. Did you find that the aerial lead you got was no good, It didn,t fit my video or wall plug.
    I was a bit concerned this morning while watching ITV I seemed to have some diagonal stripes in a faint blue and yellow colour but they disappeared after a while. Have you noticed any faults apart from the manual being crap?

5. NigelC

NigelC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Jeff,

The manual does have its shortcomings, I feel that some settings are left to be played with and it would be nice to have some explanation behind the options available.
    I did not use the aerial lead supplied, I used my original one. I have looked at the lead supplied and mine appears OK.
    I do not understand why your TV's speakers turn off when you go into Hall mode. Mine don't, I have sound from both TV L&R speakers as well as both rear's.
    Overall I am very pleased with my TV. I have just about got used to it's size as my lounge is long and narrow. Glad I did not go for a 32", this would be too overpowering.
    I do have some problems with reception but these are down to the aerial. I prefer Anglia but can receive a better picture from Thames. I need to upgrade the aerial for Anglia and raise the mast height as the aerial currently points at my neighbours chimney. A small project for the next few weeks. I will be looking into getting an aerial that is supported for receiving DVB signals as I am interested in the Pace set top box being released next month for terrestrial digital. This should give proper 16:9 pictures I hope.
    I am keenly watching Pace's web page for more info on this.

NigelC

6. deff

deff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nigel, what are your pictures like?. I have a 32 inch and I can swear that my 10 year old 21inch Sanyo has better pictures. I have tried changing the settings without much improvement. I have both an external area and sky.

Deff

7. NigelC

NigelC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Deff,

I am no expert. I did have doubts that my expectations would not be met before the TV arrived as the display models in stores seem to be always fed with sh*t signals.
    I am more than happy with the pic. quality on my screen after setting up the TV. This takes a little time with playing with settings as the manual leaves a lot to the imagination.
    One point worth noting is that you can check the channel no. match it against the conversion chart for frequency at the back of the TV's manual and check against your manual setup. You can get the channel info from a link via the bbc web site and matching against the transmitter you point to. Your tuned channels should be a match.
    Another point worth noting is that I had interference only on BBC1 from London which was presented as 2 vertical lines, 1/2" wide, 3/4" apart, 2/3 of the way across the screen. I isolated the problem to an old aerial amplifier I have in the loft. I have disconnected this and feed directly from the aerials now.
    I know I can improve the Anglia reception by replacing my original aerial which I shall be doing soon as several neighbours have better Anglia pic. quality than I have. London reception from my 2nd aerial is clear and well defined. I will probably need this aerial upgrade if I purchase the new Pace digital box due for release next month.

NigelC

8. deff

deff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I will give it a go