1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 9528 - checkered pattern on sides

Discussion in 'TVs' started by kerecsen, Jun 5, 2004.

1. kerecsen

kerecsen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I've noticed that my TV set has a "checkered" look near the left and right edges of the screen. It is not particularly annoying, but with certain colors it can be quite visible. I browsed various retailers and many Philips and Panasonic sets show the same issue, to various degrees (some have only an inch or two of this area, others have the entire screen covered by the pattern).

Normal area: [​IMG]
    Checkered area: [​IMG]
    Bigger picture (about 1/4 of the entire screen horizontally): click here

It seems to be some pixel-misregistration, but I couldn't put my finger on the exact problem.

Is this a normal occurence? Can it be adjusted away by some service menu wizardry?

Thanks!

ps: I had a hell of a time taking and rescaling a picture without causing colossal moire patterns :) Not to mention that the demosaic algorithm in digicams gets totally confused when photographing TVs...

2. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've noticed the same thing.

I've often seen it on Toshiba sets. The pixel structure at the sides of the picture is more noticeable than those across the rest of the screen. It almost looks as if the pixels are slightly elongated, while the pixels across the screen's centre are square.

It's very unlikely that there's any way to eliminate this, as I think it's down to the actual construction of the tube.

As you say, it's quite easy to live with, but I've often wondered what causes it.

3. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Yes, it is normal, it's the stretching of the picture width ways, as a result of the 16:9 ratio.