1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 9527

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Sarge, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Sarge

Sarge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Anyone know when its out?

Might plump for this rather than sony - I've got an older 32 50hz sony and it has scrolling bars - wanted to get 32fq-75 but been put off after reading forums....

2. danlo

danlo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the process of getting rid of my Tosh 32ZP18Q and I'm waiting patiently for the 32PW9527 !!!!

I really want the model with the Cybertube and no DD 5.1, although if I have to wait much longer I might have to opt for the 9617 :(

The only place I have seen this model advertised is a small company called BOS Electronics - http://www.kingdom88.com/bos/index.html

I called these guys but all they could tell me was "July sometime".

I'll let you know when I get any more info.

3. Sarge

Sarge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks

I'm at a loss at what to buy - no matter which tv looks ok - someones had a bad experience but... hopefully the new philips one will be ok

4. danlo

danlo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know how you feel. Buying a TV should really not require this level of scrutiny and research. I'll be damned if I'm going to spend £1500+ for some of the junk I've had in the past.

Sony KV28FX65 - Flickering & colour purity problems
    Tosh 32ZP18Q - Flickering & dirty screen

I presume that companies get away with this because in general the UK is a nation of non-complainers and just accept any old rubbish. Compainies just rush to get something onto the market without any proper QA or testing.

Anyway sorry for my little rant. I noticed today that Robert Whyte Ltd is now advertising the 9527. Sent an email but haven't had a reply yet.

http://www.robertwhyteltd.co.uk

Looks hopeful though.

5. tonyc

tonyc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Couldn't resist ordering one from Robert Whyte for the incredibly low price of £630 (+ £38 delivery). My local department store was predicting a price of around £995.

6. tonyc

tonyc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Set is expected to be delivered second week in July.

7. Sarge

Sarge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    £630?? It say £850 without stand on their website....did you order the 9527?

8. tonyc

tonyc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should also have mentioned that I was after the 28" version. So, yes the price is right for the 28PW9527. The 32" version is £850 as you stated.

9. Dorian

Dorian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Saw a demo of this TV (the 32" version) yesterday, they have one in at Practical Hifi in Warrington.

It was extremely good, Pixel Plus looked more impressive than on the 36" 9607 I saw recently. But I think the colours were brighter on this new 32"

I actually liked the picture with all the processing off too, it's certainly not a sharp picture but is very smooth and cinema-like.

I was up for buying one until the salesman started being funny saying he would be happy to let me bring my DVD player in to demo the TV but I couldn't use R1 DVD's because they would be fined 20,000UKP and the manager would be thrown in jail. What a load of cobblers:confused:

I said there was no way I was spending that kind of money without checking what NTSC discs look like because I have quite a few. One lost customer:p

10. Sarge

Sarge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I went to currys today (only to look - don't worry) and they kindly set up a pixel plus demo for me using the phantom menance dvd that had been running on a toshiba.

the picture was aweful - very grainy on all textures even still ones... I hope this is a faulty set they have - I'll have to go try it another store now to double check!!!

Why can't buying a TV be a simple process - it used to be simple just buy a sony !!

oh well back to the mags and trawling round shops....

11. Sarge

Sarge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    OK New update

miller brothers kindly setup a 9617 pixel plus today for me with my dvd and apocolypse (excuse spelling) now.

At first picture was poor but he played around with the settings until it was looking OK. However, to my eyes it looked better with the pixel plus turned off - less "artifacty" and a bit sharper.

He was good enough to tell me that all the manufactures have new equipment including picture frame tv's from toshiba, sony. philips coming out on the 10th of August and he recommended waiting till then - which I thought was quite nice.

We then set the dvd up on a sony ls60 and I thought it was a much much better picture.

so looks like I'll wait till August and buy a new set then - might make do with some fs2av's and sony 1070 till then

thanks Matt