1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 951 dead - trash or a new one?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Drefuzz, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Drefuzz

Drefuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a Philips 951 for 4-5 years. Won an auction on the net, so I paid less than the original price tag...but I've found out, that it wasn't exactly a budget player.

Anyway - the player can't recognize discs. It tries for a minute or so and then ejects the disc. No dust inside and no luck cleaning the lens.

I figured it wouldn't be worth the money to try getting it repaired but now I've got second thoughts. I've ordered a Philips 720SA figuring it is much newer in the software and that the technology has gotten better.

But is this the case? Or should I try getting the 951 repaired (probably costing about 2/3 of the price of a 720SA)?

2. Carl Ed

Carl Ed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVD player technology has improved substantially over the last five years. Unless you're out to spend as little money as possible, then I'd recommend you take the opportunity to upgrade to something a bit more modern.

The current equivalent model to the 951 is the 9000. The 720 is the next model down.

3. Drefuzz

Drefuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually I'm looking forward to using the Divx of the 720 and I've never been impressed with the loading time of the 951.

I still haven't seen any info on the 3010, 5100 and 5500. And I have no hope that the dealers here can tell me the difference or demonstrate anything.