1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 9509 vs Panasonic 32DTX40

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Mayland_Andy, Oct 31, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Mayland_Andy

Mayland_Andy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All,

New bloke here, so please treat me gentil :blush:

I am looking for advise on the above teles. I'm tempted by the component and IDTV in the panny, but the Philips keeps getting rave reviews.

Is the Pixel Plus 2 worth the lack of Component?

The money has to last, but I would expect to change the tele within 5 years if the HDTV takes off.

Lastly, which retailer? Tring to traunch through and the advise in other threads seems contradicotry. A good one please as I don't have the money to burn.

Thanks for looking at my message.

Cheers

Andy

2. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    I am not aware of the Panny having component inputs. I have the manual on my computer at work and there isn't the slightest mention of them, nor on the Panny website.

3. Mayland_Andy

Mayland_Andy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Scrapbook,

You're right :blush:

I was reading about it from the What Hi Fi Sound and Vision Awards Issue;

Quote:

It's preety well equipped, too with a choice of Scart and component video connections, the latter providing progressive scan functions with a suitably equipped DVD.....

A bit irritating reqlly that a trusted source should get it wrong. Have they printed the wrong model name?

Anyway, the issue is the same. Is the PP2 on the Philips worth loosing a Component input for? What do you think?

Thanks.

4. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Yep, I saw that review in what Hi Fi as well. Bloody annoying really. It makes you wonder how they review these TV's, I am almost convinced that they stand in a TV store and base their review on what they see!!

These two TV's were on my short list of two as well until I decided to go down the flat panel route.

I am always a bit hesitant on the PIxel Plus technology, it seems to be such hard work to get a good picture reading the threads on here. I rarely see one with a good picture in the TV shops, lathough this may be down to the feeds in most instances. And as for the Halo effect!!

On the other hand I don't recall having ever seen a bad picture on the DTX40.

Really all you can do is study both TV's in as many stores as possible and go for gut instinct.

As for component, I wouldn't get to hung up over it myself. The choice for TV's with component is very limited really, Panny PD30, Tosh ZP48, JVCD40 primarily.