1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 9509: Problems, or am I too critical?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Steve6696, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Steve6696

Steve6696

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the Philips 9509 last week after reading good reviews.
    Whilst a lot of the time the picture is fantastic, on some programmes such as Casualty, the pale backgrounds can have what can only be described as dirty patterns on them.
    Also, edges down the right side sometimes have a red halo, especially if the thing displayed is orange. (A good example being when I press the text button on the Philips handset the right hand side orange bar has a red 'bleed' a few millimetres thick.
    Also, right sided vertical lines are a bit curved.
    Also, the sound can be a bit indistinct, especially for speech.
    Not to mention halos round a body thats moving, especially in front of trees!
    Are these just 'features' of the model or should i expect better?
    All replies gratefully received.
    Steve.

2. Niburu

Niburu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there.

Without knowing too much about your set-up, it is difficult to comment but some of the problems sounds like weak picture (from rooftop aerial)
    Have you tried DVD's on this TV and do they have the same effect?
    The `bleed` problem would concern me most and if this is the case on DVD pictures, I would demand a replacement. This TV is a good one (I have the model before it) and you should enjoy the picture on it.
    As for other problems : The dirty patterns on light colours is quite common to most large TV's, mine does it and by looking on this site, so do many other peoples (Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba etc)
    Try adjusting the tilt in the setup menu to see if that helps your vertical line problem.
    The sound on this TV is not its strong point. I do not use it, as I have a Home Cinema system, so try hooking it up to some decent hi-fi kit.
    The rest, as I have said, could be down to an analogue signal.

3. Goggleyes

Goggleyes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

As you might have seen from my post yesterday, I have very similar feelings about this set. It took me a little while to learn how to get the most out of it and when properly adjusted it can be great.

I use 100Hz digital scan for normal viewing and PP2 for some films. On Freeview films often seem to be transmitted at a higher bitrate, hence fewer artefacts and so better PP2 performance. PP2 with poor source material really is nasty!

Like you, my main criticism would seem to be the quality of the tube. It really isn't good enough for the standard of signal processing the TV is capable of. Wondered whether Philips had got a cheap batch of sub-standard tubes from Panasonic, but having seen similar problems on a Panasonic set, perhaps not.

The halo you are seeing may be exaggerated due to PP2 trying to process a poor quality broadcast. The effect is much less with 100Hz digital scan, though there is still a lesser ghost effect on my set even in this mode, which can be annoying.

I'm wondering whether to get my set swapped for another, hopefully with a better tube but this could backfire for obvious reasons.

Can anybody recommend a similar set with better quality control, say a Sony (with DRC) or have they all got there shortcomings ?