Philips 936 (65OLED+936) OLED TV Review & Comments

KALIMERA

Standard Member
Thanks Phil for your comprehensive review of the 936.
When it comes to an HDR source, would you say the Panasonic JZ 1500/200 offers greater overall brightness?
Did you you find the ABL very aggressive?

MEGATAMA

mitor

Thanks for the review. Can you please test eARC support given the numerous issues reported on the forums?

desinho

Interested to know why they switched the Kvadrat material to the top now; lookswise it looks like a <€100 soundbar now with that shiny metal front :thumbsdow

jed1982

Standard Member
I am bit surprised by the low 10% peak brightness measurements as I have read two other reviews who place this at over 850 nits. This seems pretty low and not expected seeing as they are using the new evo panel.

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
I am bit surprised by the low 10% peak brightness measurements as I have read two other reviews who place this at over 850 nits. This seems pretty low and not expected seeing as they are using the new evo panel.
We use the best accurate picture modes for measurements, so I can't answer what other reviews use to get their results, but many don't use accurate picture modes. The real benefit of these panels is the actual 100% peak brightness which is 20% brighter.

jed1982

Standard Member
We use the best accurate picture modes for measurements, so I can't answer what other reviews use to get their results, but many don't use accurate picture modes. The real benefit of these panels is the actual 100% peak brightness which is 20% brighter.
Thanks for the reply, do you notice a big difference in the peak highlights between this set and the A90j or jz2000 due to the lower nits

mark6226

Thanks for the brilliant review. I am very interested in this TV. I have read about its use of anti burn in technology. I couldn't find it mentioned in the review.

As I use my TV as a pc monitor and for 4k ultra gaming, burn in is an obvious concern. I'd also read that this set reaches around 930 nits. Your review seems to debunk that. I don't really want to get a TV that struggles with Brightness level as hdr is very important for me in pc gaming.
I also have the Panasonic Tx65jz2000b on my list. However it was the Philips anti burn in tech that really grabbed me about the set.
The Sony a90 won't fit on my stand and I'm not buying a new one.
Let's see what Vincent on his YouTube channel makes of this set when he gets it.
I'm going to probably wait until next year before taking the plunge.
Thanks again for the review. This set does look extremely tempting.

AdtAdt57

Thanks for the reply, do you notice a big difference in the peak highlights between this set and the A90j or jz2000 due to the lower nits
As I watch in low light levels I’ve found my 936 to be extremely bright when needed, certainly brighter than my previous 9002. The main thing in terms of the EVO panel that I’ve noticed is a wider range and more accurate whites. Plus especially more detail in the whites on HDR content, which goes well with the more detail in blacks too. LG referenced this in their EVO marketing but few reviewers seem to pick up on this.

It worries me a bit about ‘professional reviews’, as while I appreciate their calibration skills I‘ve heard some very experienced ex-calibrators say there’s really not much point with the latest TVs. Why, because measurement differences are so close they typically can’t be seen by human eye? I think they should spend more time on video connectivity quality with high end sources and the many issues seen by owners already, including me. This is more important now than image testing that can’t be seen by owners.

Noblegamer

• Limited resolution with 4K/120 material as things stand
Should also be written in the 806 review.

Thanks for the review btw.

fathergll

Interested to know why they switched the Kvadrat material to the top now; lookswise it looks like a <€100 soundbar now with that shiny metal front :thumbsdow

An amazing TV but that color is a massive oversight. That speaker bar should have been matte black. Thats actually distracting.

idcard

Thanks for review! Do you know how Philips renew their Android TV? Philips OLED935 was in the beginning with Android TV 9. Is this now with version 10?

How about 936? Now there are Android TV 10 and what will be next? Will happens update to Google TV or always will be just Android TV 10?...

In the manual of 936 not so clear about Subwoofer output. Has this model Subwoofer output with RCA or 3.5mm? On manual is 3.5 and on videos it looks like RCA. All people prefer RCA output....

I also prefer soundbar with darker color tone and maybe on full lengths of TV straight under the screen. Version 934 was a little better view. And twitter was inside and not visible.

Last edited:

KALIMERA

Standard Member
I agree with you idcard, that sound bar looks too much like an add on, which it is! As you say, it's distracting to be able to see it in that colour, in a dimmed lighting environment.
By comparison, i have the LG E6 with its built in Harman Kardon sound bar attached to the base of the screen, it just looks part of the tv, unlike the 936! I think the E6 was one the best designed LG OLED's, & still giving a stunning image.

idcard

Philips also had in the past some models with sound straight under screen. Maybe it is already too old style I don't know. But if redesign this idea with B & W I think it could be beautiful and in harmony. Plus will be fine to open possibility unite it with separate soundbars like Sony is doing now.

Last edited:

MJeeves7

Is there a way of 'coating' the soundbar in matt black in a way as to not make it permanent, kill your warranty, or worse still, colour the sound performance???

idcard

Maybe just find this same material that they put over box? Is this somewhere possible to buy? Will be whole box just dark grey. :)

Or just buy dark material and give to people who fixing dresses. They will do just special box or case. :)

MJeeves7

Dark matt material I guess would work... BUT importantly would this create a fire hazard? Does the soundbar omit any heat and would the material cause the speakers to overheat. I'm assuming not but better safe than sorry.

AdtAdt57

Thanks for review! Do you know how Philips renew their Android TV? Philips OLED935 was in the beginning with Android TV 9. Is this now with version 10?

How about 936? Now there are Android TV 10 and what will be next? Will happens update to Google TV or always will be just Android TV 10?...

In the manual of 936 not so clear about Subwoofer output. Has this model Subwoofer output with RCA or 3.5mm? On manual is 3.5 and on videos it looks like RCA. All people prefer RCA output....

I also prefer soundbar with darker color tone and maybe on full lengths of TV straight under the screen. Version 934 was a little better view. And twitter was inside and not visible.
@idcard Philips have quoted that the 936, possibly all 2021 TVs, will get Google TV in the spring next year, which I’m hoping is a good thing ?

As for the soundbar I don’t need it as I have a full AV System but wanted the best EVO picture, so I hope Philips don’t provide attached ones in future. Personally, I think they should offer the flagship models with optional ‘speaker bars‘. These will always be a sound compromise rather than having a full set of speakers, or even a decently spread out stereo pair. Such ‘speaker bars‘ could be either sound bars as per the B&W now, or perhaps more like B&O with it blending in better at the bottom of the screen?

I remember when Philips used to ask actual buying customers what they wanted rather than reviewers who, apparently, know what we want even though they probably buy anything or keep anything for more than a month. Tail wagging dog comes to mind…

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
As stated in the review, (in the connections section), it has an RCA phono out for the subwoofer.

KALIMERA

Standard Member
Yes, i agree with you. Likewise i also have a full 5:1 surround system & don't need the sound bar. Like you i was just interested in the EVO (sorry Philips, you don't like that ref. being made!) panel compared with other similar tv's with the same panel. Panasonic have listened to customer feedback & produced the JZ1500. Are you reading this Philips!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 24th November 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Panasonic 2021 TV update brings full 4K resolution with VRR and HFR