1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 9308 - Shimmering Straight Lines....

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by barnold, Jan 20, 2005.

1. barnold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I hope someone can help with this, it's driving me mad....

I've had a 32" Philips 9308 for over a year without any problems, but recently
    it's developed an anoying problem. The picture source is Sky+ via RGB.
    I generally watch the set in 100Hz mode, with little or no sharpening.

The problem is that an annoying 'shimmering' can now be seen on objects
    with obvious fine straight edges when the picture pans. If the picture is
    stationary, everything looks fine, but as soon as it pans you notice this
    shimmering around these straight edged objects... as soon as the camera
    is stationary again, everything looks fine. It sort of looks like a low refresh
    rate flickering, but only on these straight edges of objects.

The only thing that has changed in my set-up recently is that I've changed
    my surround kit from an old Videologic Digitheatre to a Denon DHT500. Before
    all three front speakers were sitting on the TV, but now just the center
    Denon is on the box. The left and right are on stands a little to each side.
    They are all shielded so I can't imagine that this could be the problem?

It's driving me mad, so any help would be much appreciated. Changing to
    Movie+ or Pixel+ modes doesn't seem to make any difference.

2. Goggleyes

Standard Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:

I might know what you're talking about here and it's not your telly.

With Freeview (via RGB) certain programme material exhibits this strange blurring effect with even slight movement of either subject or camera. However, this is only some material, usually soaps or home grown dramas. Documentaries and news programmes are usually OK as are most prime-time films.

I think this is down to the compression being applied 'at source' by the broadcaster as when its bad, I think its possible to see the effect even on the parallel analogue broadcast.

I can only assume the broadcasters have been told to squeeze ever last ounce of bandwidth out of the alotted spectrum and this is the effect.

It is really strange as you don't get the obvious blockiness as you do with a low-bitrate transmission, it's as if they are removing whole frames from the source material in order that the MPEG encoders see less change per sequence and so transmit less data, hence minimising bandwidth.

Just my little theory, but it's getting really bad and makes an absolute mockery of the statement that Digital is as good as analogue of a few years ago.

I must tackle the BBC about this and then perhaps my MP.

Pardon the rant !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS. I've got a Philips 9509.