Philips 903 OLED TV announced - news discussion

Hasn't Vincent released a 903 review last week that was also sponsored by Philips on his channel?
It is the word sponsored that I don’t like..he did several videos with 803 and 903 but they are partially sponsored and not usual ones...

It is the word sponsored that I don’t like..he did several videos with 803 and 903 but they are partially sponsored and not usual ones...
The 803 review doesn’t contain those words but the 903 PREVIEW does. Probably Philips covered the travel expenses and it was not a test but rather show off (preview) so he probably was citing Philips facts w/o any real tests.

Yes, pro members of this forum are invited to blind test on Philips expences (travel, hotel). They will not be paid for promoting or lying. Their job will be calibrating all four TV sets and then evaluate them not knowing the brand.

Ok, maybe the event execution is promoted and participants have to pay for travel/hotel by theirselves. A nice opportunity for those living in UK.

Ok, maybe the event execution is promoted and participants have to pay for travel/hotel by theirselves. A nice opportunity for those living in UK.
I went along to Philips 2017 shootout and no AV Forum members received any payment at all.
We just attended for the fun of it. :)

I assume that Phil and Steve were paid for their time calibrating the sets but that seems reasonable - especially as they did not vote on the results.

Did you notice same issue reported in France with skin tones and pixel shift ?
Any issue with game input lag?
Brightness is supposed to be the best in term of hdr, how are the black and near blacks?
No issue with panel ?
Motion ?
Skin tones overall are very good though I have to be honest when saying that on some occasions, specifically when dealing with pale skins, the tone can become somewhat greenish. I'm still trying to improve this by tuning the settings (which, agreed, can be complex but I guess I'm used to it after owning several other Philips sets lol).

Other than that no issues with my current panel (55OLED903) at all.

Dark/black scenes actually look amazing on this set. Shadow detailing/ lighting are amazing, especially on HDR sources. My previous set (58PFL9955) did not handle dark scenes that well (detail would be gone, picture going fully dark at times).

I've had no issues with game input lag yet though I have to admit I'm not at all a hardcore gamer and didn't actually benchmark this in any way apart from just enjoying games like Fortnite and Fifa 19.

I bought this set in the NL at www.plattetv.nl for 2599 euros. I did get a chance to see the 65 inch on display after which I bought it. It turned out too big for my taste. Luckily the shop let me trade it in for a 55 inch no problems.

The design is the best I've seen so far for a TV set, it's just so slick and minimal

IMG_5912.jpg
IMG_5911.jpg

Skin tones overall are very good though I have to be honest when saying that on some occasions, specifically when dealing with pale skins, the tone can become somewhat greenish. I'm still trying to improve this by tuning the settings (which, agreed, can be complex but I guess I'm used to it after owning several other Philips sets lol).

Other than that no issues with my current panel (55OLED903) at all.

Dark/black scenes actually look amazing on this set. Shadow detailing/ lighting are amazing, especially on HDR sources. My previous set (58PFL9955) did not handle dark scenes that well (detail would be gone, picture going fully dark at times).

I've had no issues with game input lag yet though I have to admit I'm not at all a hardcore gamer and didn't actually benchmark this in any way apart from just enjoying games like Fortnite and Fifa 19.

I bought this set in the NL at www.plattetv.nl for 2599 euros. I did get a chance to see the 65 inch on display after which I bought it. It turned out too big for my taste. Luckily the shop let me trade it in for a 55 inch no problems.

The design is the best I've seen so far for a TV set, it's just so slick and minimal

View attachment 1078072 View attachment 1078073
Looks stunning
How is the sound please and in particular voices and bass.

Looks stunning
How is the sound please and in particular voices and bass.
Voices is where this set really sets itself apart from similar models (with sound bars). Bob Odenkirks raspy voice on Better Call Saul has never sounded better. Have to say it actually sounds better (more crisp and clear) than when played through my separate 5.1 set / center speaker I own. Bass is pretty good, though it can't really be compared to an actual sub woofer in terms of deepness (duh).

Voices is where this set really sets itself apart from similar models (with sound bars). Bob Odenkirks raspy voice on Better Call Saul has never sounded better. Have to say it actually sounds better (more crisp and clear) than when played through my separate 5.1 set / center speaker I own. Bass is pretty good, though it can't really be compared to an actual sub woofer in terms of deepness (duh).
Merci sir, much appreciated
Last 2 questions
1. Motion?
2. Pseudo hdr effect on SD content. Apparently, it looks very good and subtle way to simulate hdr on normal content
Did you notice it at all?

It really doesn't matter how good the Philips sets are ,unless they get their arse into gear and get the sets in stores to view

It really doesn't matter how good the Philips sets are ,unless they get their arse into gear and get the sets in stores to view
The TPvision from the other shootout thread is hinting to some changes and availability at more locations. He also confirmed some samples in selected location. Time will tell. Their call.

Merci sir, much appreciated
Last 2 questions
1. Motion?
2. Pseudo hdr effect on SD content. Apparently, it looks very good and subtle way to simulate hdr on normal content
Did you notice it at all?
The motion is excellent and smooth (no judder). I've mostly used 'Movies' so far, though 'Standard' is working good as well

Though probably not for purists I think Perfect Natural Reality (pseudo HDR) actually works very well. It just adds a ton of detail on SDR source material, mostly by bringing out the 'whites'. I currently have it set at 'Minimum', higher settings will remove some of the detail in dark scenes.

I am now going to the Philips event hopefully so will check first hand.
Thank you sir for answering all the questions, appreciated

The motion is excellent and smooth (no judder). I've mostly used 'Movies' so far, though 'Standard' is working good as well

Though probably not for purists I think Perfect Natural Reality (pseudo HDR) actually works very well. It just adds a ton of detail on SDR source material, mostly by bringing out the 'whites'. I currently have it set at 'Minimum', higher settings will remove some of the detail in dark scenes.
w

HEads up guys, Vincent is comparing an e8 versus 903 especially for motion
That will be very interesting when out

Perfect timing for the shootout. They better fix the tone mapping and Gail face as not having it !!!! :suicide::suicide:

I am not sure if it can be fixed. If they fix then this has the potential to be awarded the best HDR OLED TV.

Not all picture processing components can be fixed by f/w update Some can remain un-defeatable.

I am not sure if it can be fixed. If they fix then this has the potential to be awarded the best HDR OLED TV.

Not all picture processing components can be fixed by f/w update Some can remain un-defeatable.
I think they can fix tone mapping but not sure about Gail face :-(
If they do, I have to agree that this tv priced right (and with Oreo) will become quite something...

Should they fix the tonemapping? If I look outside right now at the sun bursting through the clouds I surely don't see any 'spectacular highlight details' in the clouds ;):p. Pretty sure if there was a lightning strike I wouldn't be seeing the detail in Bafleck's shirt either :D (and probably you wouldn't be able to see them [as detailed] on a true 4000 nit monitor either because of the sheer brightness?)

Happened to stumble upon some video coverage yesterday of the German blind shootout:

Haven't really watchde it yet but it was laughable to find the AF9 coming in at last place in calibrated and third in Vivid mode tests.

Last edited:
Haven't really watchde it yet but it was laughable to find the AF9 coming in at last place in calibrated and third in Vivid mode tests.

Nothing laughable here. It was a shootout and the audience picked the best looking TV. This just proves how close these TVs are when it comes to overall picture quality. It is almost like a toss of a coin.

I wouldn't be surprised if a different TV wins another shootout with the same audience.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom