philips 880

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by filfree, Dec 9, 2003.

1. filfree

filfree

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A few months ago I bought a Philips 880 dvdr.( I am a total newcomer to dvd video) The shop multiregioned it for me, after two or three tries. Then when it still didn't work their man came to see the installation and said that the Nokia set top box was the problem and disconnecting that seemed to get it going. I have only used it about a dozen times since but each time something goes awry. EG the picture sometimes sticks, or the extra material on the disk doesn't play. These are all brand new disks. Are dvd discs usually like this or is it more likely to be the machine?

2. numskull

numskull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Philips 880/890 machines are well-known for both recording problems and playback errors of commercial discs. We bought an 890 this time last year from RS and the unit had playback problems from the outset really - recognised some discs and not others. Then it gave up recording after around 40 discs so we returned the unit in April.

My advise is to take the unit back to your reatailer and try to get a refund - then buy a Panasonic unit (E50) which seem to be far more reliable.

3. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, my two friends have this unit and it's been sent for repair twice already. Get rid of it, it's a duffer mate :-(

4. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your retailer will probably try and just repair it.If you contact Philips directly on their website,you should get more help.Philips are well aware that the 880 is one of the most unreliable pieces of equipment ever sold.Do your very best to get a refund or tel lPhilips you will accept one of their new,more reliable models in exchange.

5. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My mate got his from Richer Sounds and after the 2nd repair they gave him a Panasonic e50 but he didn't like it so returned it for his 880 which they eventually repaired for him (took 2 momths, and they gave him someone elses instead by mistake). I know, he's mad, but he prefered the Philips.

6. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an HS2 with a HDD,but I have to admit that after the unreliable 880,I would still prefer not to have RAM as my rewritable disc as playback on other machines is important.So a Panasonic non HDD machine would not fit the bill for me.
    Now the Pioneer machines are slowly coming down,maybe -RW will start to pick up a bit

7. filfree

filfree

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all. I have taken your advice and returned it to the retailer. He is going to see what Philips reponse is, though he expects that they will send another 880!! He has kindly lent me a Sony player in the meantime, as I don't mind being without a dvd recorder for a while. I have also e-mailed Philips with a general enquiry about these machines and am awaiting a response.

8. numskull

numskull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you'll just get the standard reply from Philips. I can't see that they'll give you another 880 mind you; just be careful the dealer isn't mucking-you about - the 8 series has been superseded for months.

9. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Usually the recorders are sent to Belgium, Philips will probably send a DVDR-70 as a replacement, if the dealer offers you an 880 / 890 don't accept it.

10. trainspotter

trainspotter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Philips 880 that is suffering all of the common problems, so its been sent back to the place I bought it from in Birmingham, as its under warranty. I dare say that i will get a mended 880 machine back, but to be honest I would prefer a newer model, but waht are the chances of that ?

11. menalaus

menalaus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    slim and fat are to words that spring to mind. i think that i must be the only 880 owner in the uk with a trouble free player:)

12. sunderland

sunderland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    i would just like to say that ive had nothing but bother with my 880 as well so i got in touch with phillips to tell them the exact problems i.e keeps locking and comes up no disk and all i got back was they couldnt do anything without knowing exactly what was wrong but i already told them so i replied and said that. 2 weeks later still no reply. [nice company] :thumbsdow

13. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It's up to the retailer you bought it from to sort it out, not Philips, tell them you want a replacement.

14. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting that the retailer has lent you a Sony recorder.I hope you aren't sitting on a pile of +R discs,as the Sony will only record to +RW(and -R/-RW).
    When I contacted Philips about an 880,even though it was 2 months out of warranty,they were interested in getting it sorted.The retailer took it back and it was returned after 2 weeks.The person who bought it off me is still happy with it.
    I would say getting a new model to replace the 880 would be very dependant on exactly how old the 880 is

15. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you buy from RS then it's a good idea to take out an extended warranty - a 3 year one will cost you about £30 for a recorder and you get your money back if you don't use it. (Of course you have to put this date in a diary somewhere as you have exactly a month to claim it). It also guarantees you a 50% buyback if you want to upgrade.

The warranty is a swap out one which means you get a loan machine while yours is being fixed and if they can't fix it they have to give you a new equivalent machine.

I got the five year one with my 880 for £60, it got the dreaded disc error but it took me about 2 hassle free minutes to swap it for a new one at RS.

This has not given me any problems for the 10 months I've had it.

PS Rembember it is the shop's responsibility to supply you with a unit which is fit for purpose, not the manufacturer. Don't take any buck passing as it is the shop that is legally liable.

16. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like Richer Sounds are a good place to buy.When I was searching for a multi remote control,I tried each and every touchscreen model that RS had,but eventually bought a Marantz RC200MK2 to replace the one I had.RS gave a refund every time.Great service-it was a shame they did not stock the old model I bought so that I could actually reward them with a purchase.I would heartily recommend them