1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 880/890

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bobbles, Jan 15, 2003.

1. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Getting one of these on the weekend

I will prob go for the 880 as I do not need the i-link feature

I have read the FAQ on the dvdplusrw.org site

However, one question I am still not sure about

on a blank +RW disk

say I record corrie then eastenders in that order

I then delete corrie, will the 30min space only be available at the start

i.e if i try to tape a 40min prog at the start it will wipe the first 10 min of easties?

like VHS would

if so that's a bit pants, I thought it would be similar to how a floppy saves. After reading the FAQ I am not sure now.

cheers

2. jryoung

jryoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I didn't investigate the Philips recorders too much as they can't do timeslip/record & play. Thats why the Panasonic DVD-RAM recorders are better as a VCR replacement. The RAM discs are random access. You can remove the ads, etc to free up space.

Yours

Jonathan

3. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've got sky+ so timeslip etc is of no interest

compatability is an issue -RAM can not be played on other formats

on -R you can not edit out the ads etc

before you ask I do not have a DVD burner on PC

so to achieve a TV series i would have to use -RAM which cost £6 ish per disk whereas +RW cost a little over £2 and can be played on other players. +RW hides the ads which is also carried over to other machines

If any of what i've written is wrong please correct.

4. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    actually, to save a little money

could I save on +RW, hiding ad chapters. Then by playing this through my current machine Tosh210 could I connect it to the DVDR (through RGB IN) and record onto +R

if so

what would be the drop in quality?

would I be able to inset titles and chapters before finalisation?

If so would these be read on other machines?

Cheers

Bob

P.S.

what would be ideal in the next generation Sky+ is an onboard DVDR whichever format capable of recording in DD5.1 and a facility which automatically takes out the ads

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news by the Tosh 210 won't play +RW. I had a friend bring one over so I could copy the programme to DVD-R for him but it wouldn't play. We tried several others (just to test it wasn;t a bad disk) but none would play.

To be honest this is hardly surprising as Toshiba is supporting the 'official' DVD Multi format.

6. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Toshiba and Hitachi support DVD-RAM. I know about the Hitachi for definate as the DVD-ROM in my laptop can play me DVD-RAM disks I have recorded on my E30.(laptop is 2 years old so DVD-RAM drives were around that far back).
    In Japan DVD-RAM is very popular.

I have also heard that deleting recordings on +RW Phillips means that only that space becomes free and recording a longer program will write over the next program rather lake a VCR.

The Panny will fit the program to the space left on the disk so in your case 30 mins before easties and 10 mins after rather like a hard disk.

7. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the multiregion 210E which is on the list as been compatable with +RW, so fingers crossed

If not :mad:

i thought so :(

I am not overly bothered though as I will be using sky+ as my VCR and I will save up a few episodes before achiving

I am not closed to the panasonic but achiving on -RAM is expensive and I can not edit out the ads using -R

so other than getting a DVD drive on PC it is not much use

try not to be biased!! but i think the philips more suits my need do you agree?

8. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    actually if it is true about the +RW not playing on my tosh then quite frankly I am well ... :mad:

can anyone else confirms this before I buy

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    The VCD Help site reports that the 210 cannot play +RW disks as well. I too have the multi-region 210 (I use it as my primary DVD player). It plays -RW disks (I've used several with my unit) but not +RW.

As I said it's not really that surprising considering Toshiba is supporting the -RAM, -R and -RW formats. You'll find best compatibility for +RW in Philips and Sony players as these are the companies that are supporting the breakaway from the DVD forum's format.

10. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    You really need to try a +RW disk with YOUR machine bobbles. I have a Toshiba 125E MR that does play +R/+RW. I had a Pioneer 350 that faltered with them, yet someone on the +RW forum had a 350 that played faultlessly.

11. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The tosh 201E does indeed play +RW with a little bit of work

the dvdplus.org site describes how it is done

Bit Settings

as the link describes you need to change the bit settings

hope this helps someone else

12. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    As I stated above I spent the best part of a day with a friend trying to get any +RW disk to run. +R's will play but +RW, using whatever bitrate, wouldn't. Looking at the comments on VCD Help it would seem the only people to have success have been using a PC burner with the utility pack.

As Alan rightly says though the only way to know for sure is to test a DVD+RW on it. Perhaps if you purchase a DVD+RW disk a local AV store might be prepared to record a short sample for you to test it?

13. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    I'm surprised by this because it *should* play them. Perhaps you need to upgrade the firmware of the player?

14. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    bobbles. Oh dear Oh dear Oh dear...Do yourself a big big favour and forget the plus format and go the Panny route.

As for -RAM not being compatible. All you need is a new DVD RAM compatible player (Not all that expensive) and you can record to RAM and edit then copy to DVD-R. My understanding of the Philips machines is that you can over record a program in error. With the Panny that is just plain impossible. I studied the plus format for months and months. Thank goodness I did not in the end choose it. Good luck and wise decision making. Malcom.

15. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    which player?

and how do I copy the recording to -R?

I do not have a DVDR drive on my PC!

16. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    I know it's even *more* money but if you can stretch to a PC DVDR drive as well as a DVD Recoder you'll find an extremely powerful solution at your finger tips.

17. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what did you try what the site stated about holding down two or three

oh for :mad: sake

well I will prob eventually get a dvd burner on pc but with sky+ dvdr xmas etc it is not something i can afford at the moment

I will prob get philips sat test it see if i can get +rw to play on tosh

if not i may take back and swap for panny E30

18. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just read that if the DVD+RW have been recorded in 4hr mode or even 3hr mode then they can cause problems when trying to be read on other disks

so fingers crossed

:(

19. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok you have me intested

I agree it is the ideal solution

is this the set up you have, what would I need a DVD-R writer that reads DVD-RAM

what kind of money are we talking here

I found a site selling 10 dvd-ram for 19.99

20. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    The way I 'produce' my DVDs is to record them onto RAM, edit as required (on the HS2), copy the RAM disk onto my PC HDD, author in Spruceup and burn to DVD-R. For this I use Panasonic's DVD-RAM/-R drive.

Depending on which DVD Recorder you get you will need a device that can read the media. Thus for the E30 you would need a RAM reading device (many DVD-ROMs can do this - failing this you would need a compatible burner). Obviously if you go for +RW or -RW then you would also need compatible drives. This will enable you to copy the files to the PC.

You can then author them using Spruceup (a simple but free authoring programme that allows you to add custom menus and chapters).

You can then burn them into a DVD-Video on a DVD -R/+R burner - it makes no difference which as both will play on (virtually) any DVD Player. -R are cheaper but +R are coming down in price.

21. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how can you tell if a ROM drive will accept RAM

I guess i would be looking at 50ish DVD-ROM and 200 DVD writer

this is a tough decision

Do you know if you can hack the panny to be multiregion?

So Panny E30 or Philips 880

I think I will go for 880

If I can get the +RW to work on my Tosh and the drop in quality to +R via Tosh is slight then I will go for that as it works out tons cheaper and it can be made multiregion

22. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

bobbles. The DVD RAM compatible player is the Panasonic RA82 £210 see web site below.......

http://www.avland.co.uk/panasonic/dvdra82/index.htm

Simply connect your player to the DVD recorder and record back to the E20/30

If your original recording is made in XP mode then a copy most probably won't show any loss. At least I can't see any loss although in theory there should be. Copies from SP mode I have also found to be excellent resolution wise but if there is any fast movement you may see some blockiness.

The Multi drive PC solution is of course the best. I think the multi drives will be around the £400 range......

23. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well you can pick up a DVD rom drive which will read ram then burn onto -R with a seperate burner

can you get the Panny to be Multiregion without buying a multiregion version as they seem to be 100 extra

now i have found cheap ram i really do not know what to do

24. pastie

pastie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I should hold off a bit mate until ur sure u know waht u need....there is all sort happenin in the world of DVD recording... new better products about to be released........ see some at www.avland.co.uk/dvd/dvdr.htm#dvdr

25. Desk

Desk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +783
    If you've decided on a Philips you might want to wait a couple of months until the new models come out, because the company's current recorders seem to be riddled with bugs.

I've firsthand experience of apparently endless problems, including machines gradually refusing to read pre-recorded disks, switching off during recording, the timer not working, the machine locking up completely, white-outs during recordings from video, failure to finalise disks, blocky lines appearing in recordings and successfully recorded disks later refusing to be recognised.

The problems are so widespread that on the DVD Plus RW forum they're now running polls to try and chart the extent and nature of the faults.

The results speak for themselves...

http://www.dvdplusrw.org/cgi/forum/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=4;t=4832

Alternatively just browse through the DVD recorder section of the forum at the following address for endless tales of woe...

http://www.dvdplusrw.org

Desk

26. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    This is hardly surprising as Philips are being so aggressive with the pricing.

27. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    due to Dixons being a complete sod

they wouldn't let me spend my vouchers online, only in store. The store wouldn't match the online price either

I went for a multiregion Panny from the multiregionmagic store mentioned earlier

Thanks for the link

Thanks to all for the advice. It was the faults and VBR that finally swung it Pannys way

28. pastie

pastie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to confm what DESK said that the 890 is un-reliable.....mine intemittantly stopped recognising disc's then packed up all together. My retaitaler wanted to send it back to BELGUM for repair ...I instisted, as the machine was ony 8 weeks old and that it has been reported that the Philips units are unreliable, I swoped it temporally for a DMRE30 which I must say I prefer......it recocnises disc's quicker ..... in fact all disc access function are quicker and the Panasonic is a pleasure to use as its interface is more user friendly I find. U get instant acess full screen ( rather than thumb nail with the Philips) navigation round your recordings. I thinks the Panny's just more of an inteligent machine....... e.g. with thw Philpps u av to tell it that u wanna watch the TV .......every time u switch it on ... the Panny knows there is a incomming signal fron the sky box so automatically swithes.... the 890 u av to tell it by hittin the 'Monitor' button on the remote.

29. pastie

pastie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Too many characters in my last post.... LOL...... any way the broken 890 gone back .... Iv'e got the DMRE30 on loan which I'm very happy with until the DMRE60comes out in Mar /april at around £500 ...... if \i was u I'd order a DMRE60 now especially if u wanna view your JPEG's on yr telly as I do. See it at http://www.avland.co.uk/dvd/dvdr.htm#dvdr