Philips 854 (804) Stutter / Judder Issue

andreihanea88

Novice Member
Hello,

So I was very happy this last weekend because I've bought a black friday deal TV - Philips 55OLED854, with nearly 1100 EUR which was a really good deal. I was glad about the Ambilight, HDR10+, good panel reviews, great design. After initial setup and a minimal calibration i immediately started noticing the judder /stutter in all the cinematic scenes, because for the movie mode i've canceled any motion processing. The judder is very very annoying it is always there, I compared side by side with my Samsung KS8000 with no motion on and the judder is more visible on the Philips.....maybe it is the OLED instant response and contrast that make it so obvious.
The second problem is that I've tried all the settings possible to find the perfect spot (like on Samsung KS8000 - 2 for blur 3 for judder in the custom motion settings) of reducing judder without creating soap opera effect or introducing interpolation artefacts....Well at Philips 854 (most probably the same as for 804) I cannot find this sweet spot, while going to Motion Styles > Personal > I found that for Perfect Natural Motion turning it from off to minimum it instantly gives the soap opera effect and many artefacts in motion and increasing it it makes it worse. Perfect Clear Motion seems to do nothing. I am very bodered about this issue and although dolby vision movies look great I cannot stop my mind from seeing all this faults in the image processing.
My question is if there are any settings that I should try or recommendations or if not should I return it put some extra 100 EUR and buy LG 55 OLED B9, is it any better overall and especially in motion processing and judder reduction?

Thank you!

Last edited:

stevelup

Distinguished Member
I was at the AVForums Philips demo in London last night, and the highlight for me of the whole product was the superb motion handling. It has finally convinced me it's time to move on from my Panasonic VT65 which I thought would never happen.

What is your source and how is it configured?

There's a dedicated Philips TV forum - you might want to report your own post and ask a moderator to move this thread there where it may be seen by more Philips owners.

andreihanea88

Novice Member
Ok.... the sources are netflix, hbo and xbox one s with uhd blu ray movies. Without any motion processing enabled there is a lot of judder and when turning motion to minimum it instantly turns into a soap opera and creates artefacts....

Ionutus

Ok.... the sources are netflix, hbo and xbox one s with uhd blu ray movies. Without any motion processing enabled there is a lot of judder and when turning motion to minimum it instantly turns into a soap opera and creates artefacts....
I also bought the 854 (most likely same offer on emag), but mine it's still to arrive. So I'm a bit worried by your post.
Did you solve the issue? Or did you return the TV.

andreihanea88

Novice Member
I also bought the 854 (most likely same offer on emag), but mine it's still to arrive. So I'm a bit worried by your post.
Did you solve the issue? Or did you return the TV.

Hey, yes same offer from Emag. I've returned the tv to emag and bought at a similar price from AV Store the LG B9 and I am so glad i have made this decision the image is way better less judder and great motion handling.

petfield

Novice Member
Hello,

So I was very happy this last weekend because I've bought a black friday deal TV - Philips 55OLED854, with nearly 1100 EUR which was a really good deal. I was glad about the Ambilight, HDR10+, good panel reviews, great design. After initial setup and a minimal calibration i immediately started noticing the judder /stutter in all the cinematic scenes, because for the movie mode i've canceled any motion processing. The judder is very very annoying it is always there, I compared side by side with my Samsung KS8000 with no motion on and the judder is more visible on the Philips.....maybe it is the OLED instant response and contrast that make it so obvious.
The second problem is that I've tried all the settings possible to find the perfect spot (like on Samsung KS8000 - 2 for blur 3 for judder in the custom motion settings) of reducing judder without creating soap opera effect or introducing interpolation artefacts....Well at Philips 854 (most probably the same as for 804) I cannot find this sweet spot, while going to Motion Styles > Personal > I found that for Perfect Natural Motion turning it from off to minimum it instantly gives the soap opera effect and many artefacts in motion and increasing it it makes it worse. Perfect Clear Motion seems to do nothing. I am very bodered about this issue and although dolby vision movies look great I cannot stop my mind from seeing all this faults in the image processing.
My question is if there are any settings that I should try or recommendations or if not should I return it put some extra 100 EUR and buy LG 55 OLED B9, is it any better overall and especially in motion processing and judder reduction?

Thank you!
I bought this TV a couple of days ago and I have the same problem!! It is extremely frustrating and annoying that you can't watch a single scene that has motion in it without extreme judder!! I' ve tried every possible setting change, but the shivering just won't stop!! I really cannot believe I paid a small fortune to buy this and it works worse than the cheapest lcd in the market!! Just awful!

MultiRoom

I returned my POS802 for this exact reason. I heard Philips motion processing was second only to Sony. Maybe it was 10 years ago but it was either incredibly juddery, with no film smoothing applied, or with the minimal settings too much SOE.

If you want decent motion processing the only set to go for is a Sony, LG have terrible artifacts similart to the Philips, although the custom settings are more intricate.

I eventually went for the Panasonic, although not perfect it was better than the Philips and LG.

Samuele2723

Novice Member
Hello guys, i have intention to buy philips 65OLED854 but i Went to the shop and i tested it connected with Nvidia Shield 2019 and several 1080p and 4k movie sample and i saw so many artifacts and banding during test. I’ve also tried to change motion off but still not great image. I compared on Sony AG9 And was another story.

is there any update or setting that solves the issue? Or should i consider go Sony or LG?

thanks and regards

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom