Philips 854 4K OLED Review & Comments

If you wanted syncing with the movies, you'll need a Hue sync playbox (not out, £229 when out). Also, I assume you have a Hue bridge as well for the light strip?

Yes I already have the bridge alongside several other Hue products. I did look into the sync box but at that price its not worth it for me and not sure how well it works based on limited reviews. Either way I was always more interested in the still ambient light behind the tv to ease viewing as opposed to moving/changing/flashing options it had so hopefully I can recreate that.

I have been weighing this one up all week so perhaps my thoughts may help you make a decision after some (too much) research. I placed an order on Monday with costco for a Philips 854 which is currently at a great price (I’m a costco executive member so would have also got an additional 2% off plus a £10 black friday voucher code). This was due for delivery on Saturday.

Despite this excellent deal I have since cancelled my order and purchased a LG C9 from Richer Sounds instead who price matched Costco with an additional year warranty (6) which I took away the same day and have been enjoying yesterday. Had the difference in price been anymore than £100 I would have stuck with Phillips.

It turns out I do definitely miss ambilight and will be getting a hue lightstrip to add some background lighting to compensate (currently only £45 on amazon for 3m if anyone is interested). Other than that I am very happy with my choice and the picture out the box and will not be spending any additional on calibration just yet. The operating software is also fantastic on this LG, although I can’t compare myself reviews seem to agree this is better than android offering.

The swivel stand is a great feature on the Philips and a better solution than LG but would be missed for me as my tv will be wall-mounted. Also HDR10+ is on the Phillips only.

One of the main reasons I switched was due to HDMI e-arc which not available on this Philips. Whilst I didn’t need this feature yet I would like to purchase a Ambeo soundbar in the future which utilises e-arc for full lossless sound - I probably wouldn’t even notice!

Another reason was the future gaming benefits of this TV and 2.1 future-proofing. Although I’m not a gamer should I need to sell the TV on down the line it may appeal to a larger audience.

LG also has plans to update with Apple Airplay 2 which may come handy for some.

Again I’m splitting hairs and as someone said to me there’s no right or wrong just whatever works for you and have a gut feeling towards. Happy hunting

Pretty nicely summed up Thanks so what about Apple Airplay 2 >> Are you saying its not available on Philips . Didnt know that .

Pretty nicely summed up Thanks so what about Apple Airplay 2 >> Are you saying its not available on Philips . Didnt know that .

Yes at the minute I’ve seen nothing to suggest Phillips will be taking on Apple airplay 2 or the Apple TV app.

Can’t wait ... Trying to take long breaths
DC78F8B6-0FA2-46E0-96E0-BA20B7DA9EAD.jpeg
lol:):)

Mine came this morning at like 8am. Gotta clean and rearrange furniture and wait for the TV stand to come...

Waiting for my friend to wake up and shake his hangover off so he can help me move my furniture lol!

IMG-20191130-WA0000.jpeg

Any updates on how this TV performs please.
Dolby vision content using Dolby vision brith mode on netflix looks stuning. Watching alternate carbon looks just perfect. HDR10+ shows on Amazon Prime also look very good. 1080p that has Been done right looks almost like 4k when using TVS extra prosessing. Like nightflyer on netflix looks likea 4k HDR content. Sound is quite good when using Dolby atmos virtualisation and clear voice but when compared to good soundbar there is very big difference. Android OS is fluid to use. Gaming I have tested only with Witcher 3 and the experience was good. I had 50 day return window for my 854 and I could have gotten C9 for 1799€ on Black friday, but I don't feel any reason to switch. Connecting Bluetooth headphones to TV was easy and arc connection to LG soundbar was effortless and atmos from tv apps to soundbar works without Amy issues.

Hi. Got an 854 65'' month ago from Finland since it's not available in my country. It cost me 1999 euros with delivery charge in. I'm the kind of fan of Philips because of Ambilight and Perfect motion (I don't mind the soap opera effect as everything becomes so smooth). So since 2008 I bought only from them (Philips 37'' 9603, then in 2015 bought a 55'' 7600 speaking of which that one was very glitchy). Well, the first impressions from the new one were very positive - a huge OLED with its perfect contrast and black, very stable in work, fast, decent built-in sound speakers... I was content with the purchase. Then I started to notice that the motion processing is not good as they said in reviews. If something moves very fast you can notice that the part of the object appears as it is in a very low resolution (too much pixeled). Some artifacts even might be spotted as completely detached parts of image appears on surrounding objects. For example, time 1:05 the blue logo falls apart when a hand moves above it. It definitely depends on Perfect motion settings. If I turn it off it won't be a problem anymore. But I can't stand the picture when that feature is off ( So I have to set it to Medium.. Still can't get used to see that artifacts. Maybe it can be somehow connected with so fast response time of OLED...maybe LCD TVs I'd had before couldn't react so fast and therefore I didn't notice these bugs on my previous ones. I remember there were some artifacts such as outline around fast moving objects, maybe some ghost images but all of them were not so irritating...Though..I hope a miracle new firmware might fix that))) English is not my mother tongue so please excuse any mistakes!

Last edited:
Hi

I took delivery of the 65OLED854 on Saturday from Costco.

I'm having a few issues with the inbuilt media player.

I was hoping someone would have an idea what could be happening.

Problem 1

Watching a 4k movie from a USB3 hard drive. For some reason, could be 20, 30, 50 minute's into the movie, playback stops and returns you to the browser screen. It doesn't give you an option to resume play back like it does when you press stop. The only option is to start playback from the beginning again.

Read/write speed is over 100MB's, so I know that's not an issue.

It's like the media player has crashed.

Problem 2

Downloaded a MP4 file (Amaze-Dolby-thedigitaltheater.mp4) from the link below to test that I have my soundbar and rear speakers setup right.

The problem is for some reason, the file just refuses to play after it has play perfectly fine before. The only way to get it to play again is by restoring the TV back to factory settings.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Hello, I'm new to the forum and also a newbie when it comes to having a modern OLED TV. 2 topics keep me busy right now.
On the one hand the question if the Philips OLED934 (independent from the soundbar) is an extra cost of 600 bucks to a OLED804/854 worth or not. I only refer to the better scores according to the two reviews. Or is this rather irrelevant for me as a casual user (series, gaming)? I don't think it's worth it, but I'm confused.
With my second topic I'm not sure if my question makes sense at all. Among other things, calibration plays an important role in the tests for the two devices mentioned above. As far as I understand it, this is done with technology that is not available to me as an end-user. But I now wonder if the calibration done in the tests can be achieved at least approximately via the standard TV settings and how I get the corresponding values.
I hope you can help me. Thanks in advance and I think it's really great to get all this information on avformuns at all. English is not my mother tongue. I hope all my words are understandable.
Cheers

Hello, I'm new to the forum and also a newbie when it comes to having a modern OLED TV. 2 topics keep me busy right now.
On the one hand the question if the Philips OLED934 (independent from the soundbar) is an extra cost of 600 bucks to a OLED804/854 worth or not. I only refer to the better scores according to the two reviews. Or is this rather irrelevant for me as a casual user (series, gaming)? I don't think it's worth it, but I'm confused.
With my second topic I'm not sure if my question makes sense at all. Among other things, calibration plays an important role in the tests for the two devices mentioned above. As far as I understand it, this is done with technology that is not available to me as an end-user. But I now wonder if the calibration done in the tests can be achieved at least approximately via the standard TV settings and how I get the corresponding values.
I hope you can help me. Thanks in advance and I think it's really great to get all this information on avformuns at all. English is not my mother tongue. I hope all my words are understandable.
Cheers

Sorry short reply from my phone.

From a picture perspective, the 934 854 804 should be identical as they have the same specs.

The 854 has a swivel base over the 804 and the 934 obviously has the B&W soundbar.

I was originally planning on buying the 934. I was impressed by the B&W sound, but its no match for a standalone soundbar and sub really. I went with the 854 and an LG SK9Y soundbar over the 934 and am pleased with it.

934 sounds great for a TV only system, but doesnt really stand a chance against external systems in my opinion.

Hope that helps.

IMG-20191201-WA0016.jpg

All set up for now.

To whoever had the question about the soundbar obstructing the bottom of the TV, there's what it looks like.

Sorry short reply from my phone.

From a picture perspective, the 934 854 804 should be identical as they have the same specs.

The 854 has a swivel base over the 804 and the 934 obviously has the B&W soundbar.

I was originally planning on buying the 934. I was impressed by the B&W sound, but its no match for a standalone soundbar and sub really. I went with the 854 and an LG SK9Y soundbar over the 934 and am pleased with it.

934 sounds great for a TV only system, but doesnt really stand a chance against external systems in my opinion.

Hope that helps.
How are you finding the TV so far?

So it doesn't block it at all as far as I can see?.

If your sitting height is about level with the middle of the TV, I cant notice it. If your TV stand is higher and you're viewing at or near the bottom, you might get a bit of obstruction as the sound bar is maybe 1.5 cm taller than the bottom bezel of the 854.

And the 854 is pretty close to edge to edge. But no it shouldn't be a problem.

The Samsung bars are taller than the LG by quite a bit, so you'd have obstruction with something like a HW-Q80R.

How are you finding the TV so far?

TV looks great, I've some some settings calibration based on some videos and guides that I've seen, and am still playing with some of the motion settings and things, but the picture looks great.

Sometimes theres a bit of judder, and some weird artefacting around subtitles and the images behind it, but I'm sure as I continue to tinker with settings I'll find a fix.

I dont have any audio sync issues, and the BBC iPlayer no sound is a non issue as I use an NVIDIA Shield TV for all my app streaming content. I dont use the TV apps for anything.

TV looks great, I've some some settings calibration based on some videos and guides that I've seen, and am still playing with some of the motion settings and things, but the picture looks great.

Sometimes theres a bit of judder, and some weird artefacting around subtitles and the images behind it, but I'm sure as I continue to tinker with settings I'll find a fix.

I dont have any audio sync issues, and the BBC iPlayer no sound is a non issue as I use an NVIDIA Shield TV for all my app streaming content. I dont use the TV apps for anything.

Would you mind sharing your settings with us? In my first post on the topic settings, I thought about how to achieve the values from @Phil Hinton's calibration mentioned in his review with the standard TV settings. Is that possible in any way? You too had to collect the information from different sources. I don't want to bother anyone with the topic, but I am not experienced in these topics and think that a basic set of more experienced opinions gives me a good basis to try for myself. Completely without help I feel a little overwhelmed.

Would you mind sharing your settings with us? In my first post on the topic settings, I thought about how to achieve the values from @Phil Hinton's calibration mentioned in his review with the standard TV settings. Is that possible in any way? You too had to collect the information from different sources. I don't want to bother anyone with the topic, but I am not experienced in these topics and think that a basic set of more experienced opinions gives me a good basis to try for myself. Completely without help I feel a little overwhelmed.

I can try and share them when I'm back home later this week (I'm away at client location for work).

A healthy disclaimer - I have absolutely no clue what the heck I'm doing with these settings and everything looks amazing coming off of a really old 1080p set.

So I could really close my eyes and it would be a massive improvement! But a lot of it will be trial and error and trying to watch the clip over and over to see if it's better or not (as I have no clue what most of the settings do!)...and I've not had the time or the heart to do so yet.

But yes, will share when I can and let's all work it out as a group in the spirit of collaboration!

I think the next thing I wanted to look at is how to do the panel uniformity test and the 5% thing? I'm not sure what I'm looking for or how to do it but am interested...

Hello guys,

I have recently purchased an 854 55" and i would like to give some feedback. I moved from Philips 7303 led, so the difference is very obvious :). The TV is only used for streaming: Netflix, Youtube, Prime etc

First I would like to point out the "bad", it is just my opinion after 2 weeks of usage.

- first of all and the most annoying thing is the ABL - way to aggressive in SDR content - you instantly lose a lot of details in bright scenes. I hope philips will rethink and find a way to better manage this. In HDR10 and Dolby is much better, but also the content is very limited.

- pixel shift + ambilight: kind of fail. In a dark room with ambilight on, the pixel shift will ruin the experience. You will always have a thicker edge( up to 1 cm) and it is a shame because otherwise the edges are very thin. You have to turn off the tv to reset the pixel shift but will not last, in 5 minutes will start over. I understand the need of shifting but this doesn't change the fact that ... is not ok for the experience.

- remote control looks cheaper :( - compared to 7303.

The Good:
Great picture, great blacks;
HDR content looks very good;
Same for Dolby Vision;
Good uniformity, no visible dirty screen effect;

It is possible that the "bad" that a i pointed, not to be an issue for you. As i said, it is just my opinion after 2 weeks of usage.

George

Last edited:
Guys, could you please try setting "Perfect motion" on Medium or High level and check whether you see these image artifacts or not?
link to the YouTube video is in my previous post (1:05) Philips 854 4K OLED Review & Comments

Attachments

• IMG_20191202_232629_2.jpg
    IMG_20191202_232629_2.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 263
  • IMG_20191202_232923.jpg
    IMG_20191202_232923.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 269
  • IMG_20191202_232923_2.jpg
    IMG_20191202_232923_2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 258
  • IMG_20191202_233028.jpg
    IMG_20191202_233028.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 261
  • IMG_20191202_233028_1.jpg
    IMG_20191202_233028_1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 250
  • IMG_20191202_233028_2.jpg
    IMG_20191202_233028_2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 243
  • IMG_20191202_233029_1.jpg
    IMG_20191202_233029_1.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 239
I have 854 65” overall satisfied though sound is not so great so looking at sound bars now.

Costco price is back at 2199. Most here paid 1689 ( including me) so sounds like a deal.

How do you find calibration options . Thanks

I have 854 65” overall satisfied though sound is not so great so looking at sound bars now.

Costco price is back at 2199. Most here paid 1689 ( including me) so sounds like a deal.

How do you find calibration options . Thanks
Back at £1699 at Costco online. Strangely more in the warehouses. Higher price didn’t stick.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom