Philips 854 4K OLED Review & Comments

Fizzled

Standard Member
So it doesn't block it at all as far as I can see?.
If your sitting height is about level with the middle of the TV, I cant notice it. If your TV stand is higher and you're viewing at or near the bottom, you might get a bit of obstruction as the sound bar is maybe 1.5 cm taller than the bottom bezel of the 854.

And the 854 is pretty close to edge to edge. But no it shouldn't be a problem.

The Samsung bars are taller than the LG by quite a bit, so you'd have obstruction with something like a HW-Q80R.

Fizzled

Standard Member
How are you finding the TV so far?
TV looks great, I've some some settings calibration based on some videos and guides that I've seen, and am still playing with some of the motion settings and things, but the picture looks great.

Sometimes theres a bit of judder, and some weird artefacting around subtitles and the images behind it, but I'm sure as I continue to tinker with settings I'll find a fix.

I dont have any audio sync issues, and the BBC iPlayer no sound is a non issue as I use an NVIDIA Shield TV for all my app streaming content. I dont use the TV apps for anything.

Rhcoll

Novice Member
TV looks great, I've some some settings calibration based on some videos and guides that I've seen, and am still playing with some of the motion settings and things, but the picture looks great.

Sometimes theres a bit of judder, and some weird artefacting around subtitles and the images behind it, but I'm sure as I continue to tinker with settings I'll find a fix.

I dont have any audio sync issues, and the BBC iPlayer no sound is a non issue as I use an NVIDIA Shield TV for all my app streaming content. I dont use the TV apps for anything.
Would you mind sharing your settings with us? In my first post on the topic settings, I thought about how to achieve the values from @Phil Hinton's calibration mentioned in his review with the standard TV settings. Is that possible in any way? You too had to collect the information from different sources. I don't want to bother anyone with the topic, but I am not experienced in these topics and think that a basic set of more experienced opinions gives me a good basis to try for myself. Completely without help I feel a little overwhelmed.

Fizzled

Standard Member
Would you mind sharing your settings with us? In my first post on the topic settings, I thought about how to achieve the values from @Phil Hinton's calibration mentioned in his review with the standard TV settings. Is that possible in any way? You too had to collect the information from different sources. I don't want to bother anyone with the topic, but I am not experienced in these topics and think that a basic set of more experienced opinions gives me a good basis to try for myself. Completely without help I feel a little overwhelmed.
I can try and share them when I'm back home later this week (I'm away at client location for work).

A healthy disclaimer - I have absolutely no clue what the heck I'm doing with these settings and everything looks amazing coming off of a really old 1080p set.

So I could really close my eyes and it would be a massive improvement! But a lot of it will be trial and error and trying to watch the clip over and over to see if it's better or not (as I have no clue what most of the settings do!)...and I've not had the time or the heart to do so yet.

But yes, will share when I can and let's all work it out as a group in the spirit of collaboration!

I think the next thing I wanted to look at is how to do the panel uniformity test and the 5% thing? I'm not sure what I'm looking for or how to do it but am interested...

geof87

Novice Member
Hello guys,

I have recently purchased an 854 55" and i would like to give some feedback. I moved from Philips 7303 led, so the difference is very obvious :). The TV is only used for streaming: Netflix, Youtube, Prime etc

First I would like to point out the "bad", it is just my opinion after 2 weeks of usage.

- first of all and the most annoying thing is the ABL - way to aggressive in SDR content - you instantly lose a lot of details in bright scenes. I hope philips will rethink and find a way to better manage this. In HDR10 and Dolby is much better, but also the content is very limited.

- pixel shift + ambilight: kind of fail. In a dark room with ambilight on, the pixel shift will ruin the experience. You will always have a thicker edge( up to 1 cm) and it is a shame because otherwise the edges are very thin. You have to turn off the tv to reset the pixel shift but will not last, in 5 minutes will start over. I understand the need of shifting but this doesn't change the fact that ... is not ok for the experience.

- remote control looks cheaper :( - compared to 7303.

The Good:
Great picture, great blacks;
HDR content looks very good;
Same for Dolby Vision;
Good uniformity, no visible dirty screen effect;

It is possible that the "bad" that a i pointed, not to be an issue for you. As i said, it is just my opinion after 2 weeks of usage.

George

Last edited:

dkdrus

Novice Member
Guys, could you please try setting "Perfect motion" on Medium or High level and check whether you see these image artifacts or not?
link to the YouTube video is in my previous post (1:05) Philips 854 4K OLED Review & Comments

Attachments

Time2Smile

Standard Member
I have 854 65” overall satisfied though sound is not so great so looking at sound bars now.

Costco price is back at 2199. Most here paid 1689 ( including me) so sounds like a deal.

How do you find calibration options . Thanks

Cletus

Novice Member
I have 854 65” overall satisfied though sound is not so great so looking at sound bars now.

Costco price is back at 2199. Most here paid 1689 ( including me) so sounds like a deal.

How do you find calibration options . Thanks
Back at £1699 at Costco online. Strangely more in the warehouses. Higher price didn’t stick.

Cletus

Novice Member
Right you are. They must have had a glitch when I logged in this afternoon. It was 2199 then switched back to 1699. Hoping somebody somewhere got the better of the two prices today. Still in my cart at the lower price. I wonder how long they will honour that.
848F4F8E-D07B-41F0-A0BF-E5EA5B90001B.png

Cletus

Novice Member
Nice .. If you want it .. pay it ASAP. I wouldn't try my luck too much here LOL
I agonised deciding over which but opted for the 65” c9. Was all set on the 804/854 ahead of Black Friday, but heard about issues with iPlayer sound, some VOD apps and AirPlay 2 missing together just tipped balance against C9s HDMI 2.1. Fingers crossed I don’t lose out in the panel lottery when it arrives.

Time2Smile

Standard Member
I am still undecided, I bought it from Costco so I can test Philips . So far very good. But I have 90 days to return ... Might get C9 as well in Feb LOL

But now price for 854 has pushed it in next league LOL so I dont know LOL

coachdriver

Had the 934 a few days. Fantastic picture and getting used to a serious upgrade from a 7 year old Samsung LCD.

However, had some initial issues which will probably be on the 804/854 as well.

Cant get it to join my WiFi via a deco mesh network with fast roaming switched on. Every other device I have connects no problem including the previously mentioned 7 year old TV. Need to investigate some more as this although I got it connected with this setting off it didn’t reconnect after the TV was powered off.

Have been able to get sound via iPlayer via the press green to start from beginning and entertaining iPlayer that way.

ITV hub doesn’t work. All4 isn’t available and My5 does work

How this TV didn’t have all the catchup apps for a UK setup is crazy. Luckily I use my AppleTv for this mainly but still....

Last edited:

drk

Novice Member
Had the 934 a few days. Fantastic picture and getting used to a serious upgrade from a 7 year old Samsung LCD.

However, had some initial issues which will probably be on the 804/854 as well.

Cant get it to join my WiFi via a deco mesh network with beam forming switched on. Every other device I have connects no problem including the previously mentioned 7 year old TV. Need to investigate some more as this although I got it connected with this setting off it didn’t reconnect after the TV was powered off.

Have been able to get sound via iPlayer via the press green to start from beginning and entertaining iPlayer that way.

ITV hub doesn’t work. All4 isn’t available and My5 does work

How this TV didn’t have all the catchup apps for a UK setup is crazy. Luckily I use my AppleTv for this mainly but still....
Any issue with the TV Guide? Mine only shows whats on now and next(if i'm lucky) nothing in the future is available (antenna and satellite affected). Can't recored anything in the future because of this.

Amongst other things this is seriously impacting the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor)

coachdriver

Any issue with the TV Guide? Mine only shows whats on now and next(if i'm lucky) nothing in the future is available (antenna and satellite affected). Can't recored anything in the future because of this.

Amongst other things this is seriously impacting the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor)
Normally use a Humax box for Freeview but just checked and the whole guide beyond now and next seems to be there ok.

Time2Smile

Standard Member
Anyone tried Philips 854/804 and LG C9 side by side on SD content ? I am thinking to return my philips 854 and get LG C9 but not sure.

I have seen HD content and Philips was good or better but I am not too sure on SD or normal content like YouTube / iptv etc

Basically who does better upscale

Last edited: