Philips 806 or LG G1/C1 in my case

Pilsudski

Hi,

-My setup will be a Synology DS220+ NAS, Nvidia Shield pro (as i understand it is required for Dolby Atmos in my setup) + Sonos Arc, sonos Sub and 2 Sonance ceiling speakers.

-The tv I wanted to buy last year was the philips 805 because I like the ambilight, but I decided to wait a year for the 806 because you needs a hdmi 2.1 earc connection in order to get Dolby Atmos sound and as I bought a Sonos Arc (last year) I thought it would be stupid not to be able to make use of this feature.

About my tv use: I hardly ever have time for gaming (still have a PS3 haha) so that is not important for me. And my son is only 6 months old so I suspect when he starts gaming this tv will not hold any importance to him. So it will probably be used only to watch regular tv and streaming movies from the NAS but the more it can the better of course.

Now it turns out the philips 806 has the issue with the earc and it is not possible to get lossless Dolby Atmos through the sonos arc (unless they fix it at some future point in time).

So now my question is the following: I don't want to wait another year but it makes me feel stupid to buy a tv that will not do what it is supposed to do and what I waited for. But in my setup will it matter much if I get lossy or lossless atmos? As I read that the lossy atmos you get using the apps DOES work. But I have no idea what the actual difference will be like and if it is important?

If the difference is small perhaps I would go for the 806 after all and hope for a fix in the future. If not I would perhaps opt for the certainty of a tv that actually works and does what it is supposed to and go for a C1 or G1.

What would you guys do if you were my? Any advice is welcome...

mitor

I'm in the same boat trying to decide between the 77OLED806 and the C1. Same price more or less. I prefer the remote and the ambilight but the LG is more of a known quantity.

I'm wondering if I go for the Ambilight and just turn off eARC and use regular ARC for the time being, doubt I'd be able to tell the difference as long as it works reliably. Connected to a Beosound Stage so I have no option but HDMI for sound.

Dodgexander

All Atmos is lossy, none is lossless. Only PCM/LPCM is lossless.

There are 3 ways to transport an Atmos signal.

1. eARC is needed to pass Atmos in a Dolby TrueHD container.
  2. ARC is needed to pass Atmos in a Dolby Digital Plus container.
  3. ARC is needed to pass Atmos from games consoles.

Therefore, most people don't need eARC at all to pass Atmos because they use streams that only use the lowest quality Atmos contained in a Dolby Digital Plus container. Streaming services will never have higher quality audio due to bandwidth constraints.

Where you do need fully fledged eARC is if you have a games console or an UHD Blu-Ray player connected and you want to pass multi channel LPCM or Atmos transported with TrueHD.

In your own use case, playing Blu-Ray discs on your PS3 you will need the TV to support eARC because otherwise you will not be able to pass Dolby TrueHD sound tracks to your soundbar and you will be restricted to use standard 5.1 Audio instead.

Pilsudski

Thanks for the explanation!

So if I understand correctly if I stream a Bluraymovie from my Nas I will be getting 5.1 audio if I have a tv without arc and if I stream from let's say the netflix app on the tv I will by getting Dolby Digital Plus Atmos?

Will I hear the difference between Dolby Ditigal Plus atmos and Dolby True HD atmos with a Sonos arc?

Dodgexander

It depends on the title. When you rip the disc you need to make sure you include a soundtrack the TV supports sending via regular ARC. So you can't play rips where there's only Dolby Atmos or Dolby True HD. They need to have either a DTS soundtrack too, or a standard Dolby Digital track.

If you have a TV with eARC then that's when you can pass all the HD formats including TrueHD on Atmos.

For streaming you do not need to worry at all about eARC, all audio will work over ARC.

The quality of Dolby Digtial Plus is slightly better than the soundtrack quality on DVD discs, so to get HD sound instead is a bit like comparing the audio on a DVD to a Blu-Ray. Its still 'HD Sound' but not as impressive as the higher bit rate sound formats.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom