• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Philips 7803 / Philips 8303

pina

Standard Member
A few days ago, I went for the 6QFN, and alhough I liked it a lot, I tried the Philips 7303 too. While Samsung's image is better, I liked the versatiliy of Android TV much more. But I decided to go for an Ambilight television with Android TV, but now I don't know to choose the 8303 or the 7803.

It's not clear to me whether the 7303 I tested, has got a VA panel or IPS panel. It was ok for gaming, but dont know whether the occasionaly stuttering was due to the connection lag or the 60hz panel of the tv.

Does anyone know if there's a difference in input lag between IPS and VA? I read many contradictory comments about this. IPS has got a wider color gamut, but contrast is poor. So I don't know whether the lack of contrast would make it up for the wider color gamut. Perhaps local dimming on 8303 would do the trick...

Dodgexander

It depends what size you are looking at. It may also be that Philips use different panels on the same TV in different regions too.

If you believe a philips rep, they told flatpanelshd.com that 90% of their 7 series models would be using VA type panels.

The 8 series is exclusively IPS.

Panel hz for gaming makes no difference whatsoever as you can only send each TV a 60hz source anyway...there only a few exceptions to this from different manufacturer models.

IPS tech will have faster response times so the 8 series will have less blur than the 7 series, especially if the 7 series is using a VA type panel.

However as you already mentioned, IPS tech means for worse overall picture quality in other areas.

Wide colour gamut isn't really important at all unless you use HDR..and if you use HDR you want to set your sights higher than the 8 series really.

Input lag is a measurement of how fast a change appears on the screen so if a TV has a slightly faster response time (assuming it uses the same everything else) will have slightly faster input lag..but its not worth thinking about when every TV now has low enough input lag.

So what sizes are you looking at? What sources are you using? Have you considered keeping an android box seperate? What is your budget?

pina

Standard Member
Do you than mean HDR on the VA panel would be useless? My PS4 uses HDR for some games.

I’m looking for a 55” tv. I’m using digital cable Tv, plex, some netflix and PS4. I’m not considering a seperate android box, I want to have my setup as compact as possible.

Dodgexander

Do you than mean HDR on the VA panel would be useless? My PS4 uses HDR for some games.
Its not really the panel that restricts HDR performance but other areas of the TV. Yes VA type panels block more light through from behind which means all the very best HDR LCD TVs are ones that use VA type and not IPS but that is not what I trying to explain. The fact is for HDR to be worth considering you need more than only a wide colour gamut. It means none of Philips LCD TVs are going to be decent at displaying HDR from their 2018 lineup.

Why?
There are different things that constitute to better HDR picture quality and their LCDs lack them.
  • 6 series & 7 series have no wide colour gamut, poor peak brightness, no decent local dimming. They do have decent contrast (if they come with a VA type panel), but only for SDR.
  • 8 series has a wide colour gamut, poor peak brightness, no decent local dimming and they have a worse contrast ratio than even some cheaper 6 and 7 series models as they use IPS tech on their 8 series compared to VA on some 6 and 7 series.

What do you need for decent HDR? Well if sticking to Philips you need their OLED803 or last years POS9002.

Sticking to the want of Android TV you should consider instead the Sony XF9005 or the Sony AF8.

If you spend less than these you cannot get good HDR on a TV.
I’m looking for a 55” tv. I’m using digital cable Tv, plex, some netflix and PS4. I’m not considering a seperate android box, I want to have my setup as compact as possible.
You will have to weigh up how important each aspect is to you, the Philips 8 series ticks boxes for your want of ambilight and android TV built in, it has good motion too but generally TVs like the Samsung NU8000 are a lot better value if you do not want wider viewing angles as they have a lot better overall picture quality.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom