Philips 754 (55OLED754) 4K OLED TV Review & Comments

Nick74

Thanks Phil.

Man, that's a shame with regard to Rec.709 accuracy, which still comprises the majority of day to day viewing.

Even factoring in the price and other attributes, this aspect of performance rules this television out for me. Any chance this issue could be addressed via firmware?

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Thanks Phil.

Man, that's a shame with regard to Rec.709 accuracy, which still comprises the majority of day to day viewing.

Even factoring in the price and other attributes, this aspect of performance rules this television out for me. Any chance this issue could be addressed via firmware?
As there is no colour management system I don't think firmware would be any use, and at the price point, I can't see an update being cost-effective. It is aimed at the general market and as such accuracy and the costs of a CMS have been left out to achieve the price point. I know that 98% of people who see this TV playing SDR (including some UK journalists) wouldn't realise it has errors, as they have never seen an accurate image before and will have it in Standard or Vivid, instead of Movie. But that's who the TV is aimed at.

Nick74

It is aimed at the general market and as such accuracy and the costs of a CMS have been left out to achieve the price point.
Understood, though it still seems like a large oversight, even given the price point. You can currently buy a GZ950 for not too much more, safe in the knowledge that SDR accuracy is exemplary.

Oddly, gamma tracking seems better on this review model than the more expensive Philips OLEDs you tested, so you get improvement in one area and a glaring issue for videophiles in another.

sue_hall

Very disappointed there was no mention of the issues with Dolby Vision from an Apple TV 4K Phil.

it makes this TV almost useless for DV from an Apple TV :-(

Rob

MEGATAMA

How is situation about burn in warranty from Philips?

Abacus

Banned
If the adverts are anything to go by it is already available for less than £1000 so you can’t grumble too much, as OLED is still more expensive to make than LCD.

Bill

SmAShY

Had my eye on this TV when it was first announced but decided to hold off and wait for Phillips to include HDMI 2.1.

zubeir

HDR10+ may be dead in the waters, as 20th Century who part of the alliance with Samsung are looking pulling out.

Coulson

A couple hundred nits more and this would be interesting for me. It's still on the low side even at 800 nits but with OLED's infinite blacks I suppose it could begin to approach my screen for HDR. Especially if it has similar colour volume to the better high nit screens.

sue_hall

Do all the major streaming apps do 4K/DV/HDR10+/Atmos where applicable?
in the built in TV apps, Netflix does loads in 4K DV and HDR. Amazon some but only HDR. And there’s about two or three series in iPlayer which are more for testing.

non built in, Disney does 4K DV, Apple does 4K DV and HDR.

DanM30

I picked this TV up recently. Replaced my LG55930v and I love it. Not an enthusiast like many on here though. Bargain for under a grand!

GreyMutton

I know a lot of people will say 'just use apple TV, roku etc' but the slow OS mentioned is a non starter for me. I appreciate its an oled but any TV costing a grand should not have these issues. Input lag also a little too high.
Pity cos it looks a decent set otherwise and I'm really curious to try Ambilight as I've heard nothing but good things.
As it stands I'm considering trying to pick up a 65 in Q90R as an upgrade from my current mid range Sammy.
Philips do seem to be doing well though and long may that continue :)

zetzet

I know a lot of people will say 'just use apple TV, roku etc' but the slow OS mentioned is a non starter for me. I appreciate its an oled but any TV costing a grand should not have these issues.
This TV basically gets you a whole TV for the price of an OLED panel with minimal profits. People pay more than a grand for a phone.

jotty

Had this tv now since December and it is a brilliant OLED for the money, Dont get caught up in the stuff that means absolutely zero to the everyday TV user as it wont really matter.

Sit down put on anything in Dolby Vision or HDR and you will be very impressed.

GreyMutton

This TV basically gets you a whole TV for the price of an OLED panel with minimal profits. People pay more than a grand for a phone.
People do pay more than a grand for a phone but they would expect said phone to run like sh*t off a shovel, not lag when in use.
Everyone has things they are willing to compromise on and, for me, a laggy or buggy OS isn't one of them. I'd rather pay a bit more for an Oled that runs quickly and smoothly.

The Moog

People do pay more than a grand for a phone but they would expect said phone to run like sh*t off a shovel, not lag when in use.
Everyone has things they are willing to compromise on and, for me, a laggy or buggy OS isn't one of them. I'd rather pay a bit more for an Oled that runs quickly and smoothly.
I can understand that point of view, but all TV OS's seems to be poorly supported and updated as soon as the model is no longer current. I have found that dropping in a new fast streaming stick every few years and basically treating the TV as a monitor gives a fast and up to date user experience for the life of the screen.

GreyMutton

I can understand that point of view, but all TV OS's seems to be poorly supported and updated as soon as the model is no longer current. I have found that dropping in a new fast streaming stick every few years and basically treating the TV as a monitor gives a fast and up to date user experience for the life of the screen.
Yeah I have heard that but I have 2 mid range Sammy in my place, one 2 years old, the other 3 years old and both still run fast so I have little patience for one's that don't.
I previously had an 2016 LG Oled and that was too laggy for my liking as well. If a 400 quid Samsung I have in the bedroom can manage it then it can't be much to ask.
Don't get me wrong, this seems like a great telly, that's just something that would annoy me every day.

The Moog

Yeah I have heard that but I have 2 mid range Sammy in my place, one 2 years old, the other 3 years old and both still run fast so I have little patience for one's that don't.
I previously had an 2016 LG Oled and that was too laggy for my liking as well. If a 400 quid Samsung I have in the bedroom can manage it then it can't be much to ask.
Don't get me wrong, this seems like a great telly, that's just something that would annoy me every day.
My oldest TV has been going for nearly 10 years and runs the 'basic' TV stuff fine (checking the EPG, changing channels, etc), but the performance of the 'smart stuff' (IPTV apps and services) started dropping off between 3-5 years in. I started to see services running unusably slow, or just not working at all.

The TV still works fine, and so dropping in a cheap steaming stick effectively gives me a TV with current generation performance across all of the services, and even new features that the TV didn't have when purchased. I now just look at picture quality rather than software features when buying a new set, as I assume that at some point it will become slow or stop being supported and I will drop in a low-cost streamer.

I actually did this with a new TV recently, as although the onboard software was fine, being able to get a consistent user interface with the other TV's in the house was worth the relatively small outlay.

stof

Novice Member
List of issues we detected on (french) forum
-incompetent customer service only capable to answer "do a reset factory"
-sound to late compared to image in HDMI ARC (so wrong delay impossible to compensate with an audio receiver)
-Ambilight + Hue completely bugged : we have to do the initial setting each time (+delay between image and Hue colour)
-No Ambilight in Audio mode from a HDMI source
-Different issues with some sources I didn't have with my previous TV (blank dots moving if Dolby Vision activated on XBox One X for example)
-no remote control code to access directly to HDMIx (too bad for Harmony remote control)
-Instant burning (will disappear after a few seconds but I didn't have this issue with a 2016 LG OLED)
-Sometimes, Netflix runs the screen saver when we are watching content
-Sometimes, Netflix show image with no sound (HDMI ARC issue) ==> exit and enter
-2 times I had to unplug TV not responding to "ON"
-if I want to listen to music with my player and I want to "desactivate image", the image is switching ON every 5mn anyway (and if I turn OFF the TV, no sound at all)
-sometimes with HDMI input, some black images (<2s) with no sound interruption
-very bad USB management : to be sure that the hard drive is detected, the TV has to be initially installed with an USB device plugged (otherwise, it depends, sometimes it is detected or not)

+
not an "issue" but the motion flow is far from amazing with a lot of artefacts

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
I've had this TV since early Jan.

Input lag for gaming, not noticed any problem with this at all. However I'm nearly 46 now, and I don't play 'twitch shooters' or racing games so maybe it's not something I'd notice.

Colour accuracy in SDR - now I'm just a typical user and never worried about calibration, so long as the colours look realistic to my eyes I'm happy, and I've been very happy with both SDR & HDR on my set.

The OS is bad. I hate it. I use SkyQ, Firestick 4K and Apple TV 4K so luckily I don't have to go into the built in apps too often, nor the TV planner. If I did have to rely on those I'd look elsewhere as it's frustratingly poor.

I also use Harmony Elite remote, and there's an annoying issue where half the time the wrong HDMI source is selected. The best way around it is to set the Harmony to NOT SET INPUT and instead allow the TV and connected equipment to control each over through HDMI. But even that sometimes gets out of sync. I then have to use the Harmony remote to control the TV direct and change source.

For me, the plusses outweigh the negatives, and I'm mostly happy with my purchase. I love Ambilight, I can understand it not being for everyone but I think it's great. 8/10 is spot on IMO.

Dalibor Koplik

Novice Member
Hi folks, I am going to buy a new TV and 65OLED754 is (together with 65Q85R and 65XG9505) in my scope. I also want a Dolby Atmos soundbar purchase with the TV (Sams. Q90R or JBL Bar 9.1) and my question is, if the TV will send Dolby Atmos signal to the soundbar, when it does not have the eARC? Is eARC mandatory for Dolby Atmos?

zetzet

Hi folks, I am going to buy a new TV and 65OLED754 is (together with 65Q85R and 65XG9505) in my scope. I also want a Dolby Atmos soundbar purchase with the TV (Sams. Q90R or JBL Bar 9.1) and my question is, if the TV will send Dolby Atmos signal to the soundbar, when it does not have the eARC? Is eARC mandatory for Dolby Atmos?
Dolby Atmos works with ARC, the compressed version. Not that you would probably notice that considering the effect is simulated.
You could get an LG B9 and eARC soundbar if you want maximum simulated dolby atmos. It should cost about the same?

Dalibor Koplik

Novice Member
Dolby Atmos works with ARC, the compressed version. Not that you would probably notice that considering the effect is simulated.
You could get an LG B9 and eARC soundbar if you want maximum simulated dolby atmos. It should cost about the same?
Thanks, but B9 is still about €200 more expensive than above mentioned TVs (Czech Rep.).
So do I unerstand it right that ARC plays Atmos in a simulated way despite the fact the sundbar has rear speakers? eARC utilizes rear speakers in full?