Philips 7304 reviews/experiences

I have a 43" 7304 currently installed with NVM 0.60 and i also have the 50hz bug. In the NVM files link a couple of posts above there is an update to NVM 0.61 and if knew for sure it would solve this bug i definetely would install it.
Recently i talked to Philips to return it for repair because they did not seem aware of this issue. Later on i received a call from their techinical dept. that it actually is a known software problem that will be resolved by a software update. They wanted to contact me when this update was ready, Well we are waiting for over a year so i think it will be ready soon.....

Are you able to chase them for it, since it has been over a year and they have acknowledged the issue?

Hi guys, a friend of my broke today my phillips 58pus7304 (2019) model and i was verry happy and pleased with it, on this site many user's were also complaining a lot about the hdr isseu's but i didn't had any problems it was looking great, so now im looking to get the same tv 58pus7304 because i liked the va panel, but is it better to buy the 58pus8505 for 50 euro more? because i saw some posts about that tv here :(

and what's different with the Philips 58pus8545 is it a newer version then the 8505?

Thx you guy's for helping

i didn't had any 50hz problem with my 58pus7304? was it when connected to the pc? but i'm still not out if i should buy the 58pus7304 or the 58pus805 because i saw the 58pus805 had way more problems with the hdr.

The 50hz issue shows when connecting a source to it that has 50hz output which is default in the Netherlands. It also happens with apps that have 50hz output. Or the internal DVB-C tuner connected to cable provider that carries 50hz output (which is why i hate it so much). I am chasing the issue with Philips. The Tech dept. of Philips mentioned there were more reports of this issue but they can't do anything themselves. They are completely depending on TP Vision.

I don't know. I guess low priority because not a lot of people are reporting the issue to them or they are just plain ignorant. I have always liked Philips though they were always a bit buggy software wise. But now with TP Vision this is just pretty far below my expectations so i would avoid buying a Philips next time.

The 50hz issue shows when connecting a source to it that has 50hz output which is default in the Netherlands. It also happens with apps that have 50hz output. Or the internal DVB-C tuner connected to cable provider that carries 50hz output (which is why i hate it so much). I am chasing the issue with Philips. The Tech dept. of Philips mentioned there were more reports of this issue but they can't do anything themselves. They are completely depending on TP Vision.

I don't know. I guess low priority because not a lot of people are reporting the issue to them or they are just plain ignorant. I have always liked Philips though they were always a bit buggy software wise. But now with TP Vision this is just pretty far below my expectations so i would avoid buying a Philips next time.

thx for the explaining, i am from the Netherlands and i never use cable tv or a horizon tv box. i only use the tv for my pc and to watch movies/tv on a app like Netflix and Ziggo go so i don't have isseus's there i think.

I also have it with the internal netflix app, its the image flickering, right? Strange thing is that some movies or series in hdr dont have this problem

I also have it with the internal netflix app, its the image flickering, right? Strange thing is that some movies or series in hdr dont have this problem

I've got the 50PUS7304 (VA) and had the flickering when watching various sources from my Fire Tv stick. I thought this was the 50Hz issue and upgrading the NVM to 0.70 as decribed earlier in the thread had fixed it. I was seeing it a lot watching "The Midnight Sky" on Netflix, but after the upgrade it was all fine.

However, yesterday I was watching one of the 4k Lord of the Rings releases from Apple TV (again, via the Fire Stick). I was disappointed that it wasn't coming through as Dolby Vision and was quite washed out. About half way through I checked the settings on the TV and the UHD setting for the HDMI input for the Fire TV was set to "Standard" as opposed to "Optimal" (I think this got reset when upgrading the NVM). I switched to Optimal and the Fire TV immediately switched to Dolby Vision (which was great - suddenly all the colours were popping and the film looked brilliant).

BUT the flicker was back - not much, but noticeable a few times through the rest of the film (mainly when lots of bright on the screen). It was very noticeable, though, during the end credits which start with a parchment type background.

I need to go back and try the Midnight Sky on Netflix again (once I can get the kids off the TV!), but to cut a long story short, I'm not sure the flicker on some sources is the 50Hz issue (or at least if it is, it wasn't fixed by the NVM upgrade after all).

I need to go back and try the Midnight Sky on Netflix again (once I can get the kids off the TV!), but to cut a long story short, I'm not sure the flicker on some sources is the 50Hz issue (or at least if it is, it wasn't fixed by the NVM upgrade after all).

Having now had a chance to look at Midnight Sky again, it definitely has some flicker, but doesn't appear to be as bad as it was...

Nvidia Shield update to 8.2.2. hasn't fixed the Dolby Vision purple images on my 65PUS7304.

Same as mine. You're the first if find with my same problem on Shield.
Just updated to 8.2.2 same problem of dolby vision purple bands, is it a Shield issue or philips tv?

Same as mine. You're the first if find with my same problem on Shield.
Just updated to 8.2.2 same problem of dolby vision purple bands, is it a Shield issue or philips tv?
What shield model do you have?When do you get purple bands?

I have shield pro 2019.

I bought philips tv in November 2020, DV always gave these purple bands, I asked help here

I have the shield pro 2019 and 43pus7304(ip panel).No issues with Disney+ watching dolby vision.So issue points to your tv rather than the shield.Unless it is something in shield settings.If you turn dolby vision off watching same movie does the purple bands disappear?What info do you get when you press + button on philips remote?
New update on shield is only for controllers so I have not updated yet.

I have the shield pro 2019 and 43pus7304(ip panel).No issues with Disney+ watching dolby vision.So issue points to your tv rather than the shield.Unless it is something in shield settings.If you turn dolby vision off watching same movie does the purple bands disappear?What info do you get when you press + button on philips remote?
New update on shield is only for controllers so I have not updated yet.
I sent tv to Philips service. They didn't find any issue on TV itself as dolby vision is working properly with other sources.

If I turn off dolby vision the purple bands disappear and I see the content perfectly in HDR

This is the device info from + button :

IMG-20210119-230814.jpg

I see that it is 8 bit, shouldn't it be 12 bit? If so where I can change the setting?

I sent tv to Philips service. They didn't find any issue on TV itself as dolby vision is working properly with other sources.

If I turn off dolby vision the purple bands disappear and I see the content perfectly in HDR

This is the device info from + button :

IMG-20210119-230814.jpg

I see that it is 8 bit, shouldn't it be 12 bit? If so where I can change the setting?
Disney+ puts dolby vision in a wrapper for some reason.You would think it would be 10bit at least for DV and colourspace bt2020.But mine shows bt.709 8bit and rgb pixel format.
I can't see the resolution you are using.Mine is UHD 2160p24.

Disney+ puts dolby vision in a wrapper for some reason.You would think it would be 10bit at least for DV and colourspace bt2020.But mine shows bt.709 8bit and rgb pixel format.
I can't see the resolution you are using.Mine is UHD 2160p24.
It is UHD 2160p60

It is UHD 2160p60
The issue seems to be linked with the colour space for some reason.If you check tv data when DV is off on shield your colour space is fine.You also see it is 10 bit and bt2020 which is correct.The container disney+ use is corrupting something causing the purple issue.There are over 40 display options on shield.Try a few to see if any are better.

The issue seems to be linked with the colour space for some reason.If you check tv data when DV is off on shield your colour space is fine.You also see it is 10 bit and bt2020 which is correct.The container disney+ use is corrupting something causing the purple issue.There are over 40 display options on shield.Try a few to see if any are better.

I tried with prime video too and result is the same. I already tried different resolutions "dolby vision ready" 24hz too, in the screen advanced settings. Nothing.

I tried with prime video too and result is the same. I already tried different resolutions "dolby vision ready" 24hz too, in the screen advanced settings. Nothing.
Yep, it's affecting all Dolby Vision sources, Disney+, Prime, Netflix, Plex.

Yep, it's affecting all Dolby Vision sources, Disney+, Prime, Netflix, Plex.
Did you find any solution?

I saw this differences on the same DV content in disney+:

Played in HDR
BT. 2020 10 bit

Played in Dolby Vision (with purple bands)
BT.409 8 bit

I read in a post in reddit that is fixed with philips new fw update, but my TV doesn't show any yet.

Anyway. The bin file for the 58PUS7304 also works on the 50PUS7304. The 50hz bug is fixed. I also have a bin file (0.74) specifically for the 50PUS7304. However, the bug is still present with this file. Even if I can understand Toengel, I can make a recommendation for the bin file of the 58PUS7304. The picture looks fine on my 50PUS7304. The only thing to do: Change the name from "58PUS7304" to "50PUS7304" in the service menu (to be found in the service menu under "NVM Edit").

By the way: Do you seriously believe that TP Vision will ever solve this problem with a firmware update? It's been present for over a year. Never!

I sent a detailed bug report to TP Vision months ago. Several times now. They either ignore me or they say thank you. But nothing happens!
Hi, you say you have a file specific to the 50pus7304. This is the 074 file I think you're talking about, not the 061. I've got the 50pus7394/12. Is this file suitable for my TV, and if it is, where did you get it ? I would like to try it on mine and see if it improves the hdr. Thanks in advance, regards to all, JT

Last edited:
There is a new update available, for PUS7304. It is dated, to 5th of jan. Any info of a changelog available for fixed and improvements?

Did you find any solution?

I saw this differences on the same DV content in disney+:

Played in HDR
BT. 2020 10 bit

Played in Dolby Vision (with purple bands)
BT.409 8 bit

I read in a post in reddit that is fixed with philips new fw update, but my TV doesn't show any yet.

As a different data point, I've got a 4k Amazon Fire TV giving me various services (50PUS7304). This uses Dolby Vision by default, but it also shows the 8-bit BT.709 colour space. What's worse, the Fire Stick actually has some settings where you can choose the bit depth, but whatever I set, the TV shows 8-bit.

Last night I watched something from Amazon Prime (on the stick) - this was using HDR 10+ rather than Dolby Vision - for this, the colourspace changed to BT.2020, but was still at 8 bit.

I don't get any purple bands, but I do get occasional flickering when watching Dolby Vision content through the Fire stick (seems to be related to lots of brightness on the screen and comes and goes).

I see from the post above, there might be a new firmware so will eagerly see whether it changes anything!

As a different data point, I've got a 4k Amazon Fire TV giving me various services (50PUS7304). This uses Dolby Vision by default, but it also shows the 8-bit BT.709 colour space. What's worse, the Fire Stick actually has some settings where you can choose the bit depth, but whatever I set, the TV shows 8-bit.

Last night I watched something from Amazon Prime (on the stick) - this was using HDR 10+ rather than Dolby Vision - for this, the colourspace changed to BT.2020, but was still at 8 bit.

I don't get any purple bands, but I do get occasional flickering when watching Dolby Vision content through the Fire stick (seems to be related to lots of brightness on the screen and comes and goes).

I see from the post above, there might be a new firmware so will eagerly see whether it changes anything!
This would be never ending debate as whilst firestick might be honest with its output I don't think philips is! Technically tv is only compatible with 10bit signal, but panel would just convert image to usable output which 8bit sounds right to me. Effectively you rely on algorithm converting your signal but I honestly doubt you will ever experience true bt.2020 on this tv.

edit: in fact I would rather prefer if info button would just show exact source info and panel output. would be much easier to identify problems.

There is a new update available, for PUS7304. It is dated, to 5th of jan. Any info of a changelog available for fixed and improvements?

Think once again incorrect date for update included in the release notes, I have modifed following from 2020/01/25.

TPM191E _ 101.001.208.001 – Date:2021/01/25
-Now Dolby Atmos are identified correctly when played from USB
-Fix for subwoofer pre out issues
-PlayFi and AmbiAir improvements
-UI and translations fixes
-Fix for PVR HDD formatting issues
-WiFi connection stability improvements
-Stability improvements
-General improvements

Release note information extracted from these release notes .pdf

Installed on TV and creation date for this release is recorded as 5th Jan

Let the masochistic fun begin in individually attempting to understanding what might have been truly fixed/improved and what has been fixed/broken by this particular release for a given tv model in range this software update release supports. (Reference surviving with update applied without or with a full tv reset for additional good/bad measure)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom