Philips 7304 reviews/experiences

Hello all, my first post here :)

I have read this thread from beginning to end in the last few days and thanks to everyone for all the information!

Guys I bought a Philips 43PUS7304 from Amazon 2 weeks ago for £370 (it was a deal for a day only) and I'm very happy with it so far, I've updated to the latest firmware 173.004 but I did not update my nvm yet, my mvn is 0.56 and latest is 0.61.

Now one thing I have noticed is this, I have a subscription tv service that operates through an app on my android box linked to tv through HDMI...the picture quality is ok after a lot of tweaking of picture settings...it's good quality but could be better. Now after sideloading the same tv app onto my tv the picture quality is a lot lot better! You can notice the difference a lot!.
My question is this...isn't the picture quality supposed to be the same from android box and tv using the same picture settings? It seems like the picture is missing something coming through HDMI and the android box is a good one (4k) If anything I would have thought that the picture quality would be a tiny bit better coming from the android box.

Also...how do I put a different home launcher on this baby? I don't really like the lean launcher...
I have used the button mapper app to change the home button to default to ATV launcher but when I do that part of the old launcher app shows the installed apps screen.

I guess rooting the system is out of the question as I did not read anything on here about it to get rid of the lean launcher or is there a way?

I have a pair of WiFi coloured bulbs and I'm wondering would they work with the ambilight or do I have to buy the hue bulbs and bridge?
The ambilight is bloody amazing tho isn't it!
Just to share with you all...in the service menu you can increase the brightness of the ambilight even more if you want, do that at your own risk!

Any help would be appreciated guys and thanks for all the information on here, p.s. I posted in xda too.

Has anyone got the smart app to work? Tried to pair it with TV but never get pin on the screen.

Hello all, my first post here :)

I have read this thread from beginning to end in the last few days and thanks to everyone for all the information!

Guys I bought a Philips 43PUS7304 from Amazon 2 weeks ago for £370 (it was a deal for a day only) and I'm very happy with it so far, I've updated to the latest firmware 173.004 but I did not update my nvm yet, my mvn is 0.56 and latest is 0.61.

Now one thing I have noticed is this, I have a subscription tv service that operates through an app on my android box linked to tv through HDMI...the picture quality is ok after a lot of tweaking of picture settings...it's good quality but could be better. Now after sideloading the same tv app onto my tv the picture quality is a lot lot better! You can notice the difference a lot!.
My question is this...isn't the picture quality supposed to be the same from android box and tv using the same picture settings? It seems like the picture is missing something coming through HDMI and the android box is a good one (4k) If anything I would have thought that the picture quality would be a tiny bit better coming from the android box.

Also...how do I put a different home launcher on this baby? I don't really like the lean launcher...
I have used the button mapper app to change the home button to default to ATV launcher but when I do that part of the old launcher app shows the installed apps screen.

I guess rooting the system is out of the question as I did not read anything on here about it to get rid of the lean launcher or is there a way?

I have a pair of WiFi coloured bulbs and I'm wondering would they work with the ambilight or do I have to buy the hue bulbs and bridge?
The ambilight is bloody amazing tho isn't it!
Just to share with you all...in the service menu you can increase the brightness of the ambilight even more if you want, do that at your own risk!

Any help would be appreciated guys and thanks for all the information on here, p.s. I posted in xda too.
Got the same tv as you on the same day from the same place.my current status with this tv is exactly the same as you!only there is a newer software update.now 007.this adds freeview play!when you update make sure you go into settings and use the reinstall tv option then switch off at the mains to fully install the latest update.this is very important!otherwise you may have issues with bbc iplayer and other apps.i have not updated the nvm yet in case of warranty issues.i have used hue app to connect two hue bulbs and works fine.i have hue light strip and may try connecting that.

Got the same tv as you on the same day from the same place.my current status with this tv is exactly the same as you!only there is a newer software update.now 007.this adds freeview play!when you update make sure you go into settings and use the reinstall tv option then switch off at the mains to fully install the latest update.this is very important!otherwise you may have issues with bbc iplayer and other apps.i have not updated the nvm yet in case of warranty issues.i have used hue app to connect two hue bulbs and works fine.i have hue light strip and may try connecting that.

My tv shows the latest firmware as being 173.004
This is the firmware I’m on and I have Freeview Play.
Am I missing something?

My tv shows the latest firmware as being 173.004
This is the firmware I’m on and I have Freeview Play.
Am I missing something?
Latest update for me is.007 on 17/12/2019.I did not have the freeview play app or the other catch up apps until I installed this update.I had bbc iplayer app but it did not work.

Just wanted to chime in to confirm the flickering issues with the 50PUS7304/12. I cannot say if this is related to the latest firmware version 173.004 (as a few mentioned beforehand), as I had the TV only for a few days. I have an opened case with Philips Support and they are looking into it further. Hopefully it is software related and we can get a fix for it, as the eye strain is horrible when viewing for longer periods.

I have the 8204 TV but I also noticed flickering after the latest software update, I'm hoping it's a software issue. I tend to notice it more when I make the whites cooler and it gets worse if I look at the TV out of the corner of my eye. I have also asked Philips to look at it and to see if I can roll back to the previous software.

I sold 7303 tv from last year to buy 7304. Great mistake. The dusty picture, dead pixels. Incredible. Now I have left without my tv with ambilight. What can I buy now to have a decent image? and ambilight....

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-12-24 at 19.05.50 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-12-24 at 19.05.50 (1).jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 502
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-12-24 at 19.05.50 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-12-24 at 19.05.50 (2).jpeg
    47.1 KB · Views: 523
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-12-24 at 19.05.50.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-12-24 at 19.05.50.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 519
I sold 7303 tv from last year to buy 7304. Great mistake. The dusty picture, dead pixels. Incredible. Now I have left without my tv with ambilight. What can I buy now to have a decent image? and ambilight....

Picture is so terrible?
Have you tried changing settings?
Mine (HDR trought HDMI problem apart) is almost picture perfect, way better than my "old" samsung KU6400

In this image, what to adjust. I made it back and now I have a Sony 55xf9005, crystal image , but slow menu and remote control from the middle ages.I miss ambilight a lot.

Last edited:
I have the 8204 TV but I also noticed flickering after the latest software update, I'm hoping it's a software issue. I tend to notice it more when I make the whites cooler and it gets worse if I look at the TV out of the corner of my eye. I have also asked Philips to look at it and to see if I can roll back to the previous software.
+ I can also notice image stuttering when playing videos, no matter the video quality or fps - be it 720p or 4k. The stuttering manifests itself for the first second or less when there is a rapid change in scenes. In addition, the google assistant will crash at times and resettig the iternet conection fixes it. I will relate that to the support too.

In this image, what to adjust. I made it back and now I have a Sony 55xf9005, crystal image , but slow menu and remote control from the middle ages.I miss ambilight a lot.
never had ambilight before, but now that i have i find it difficult to switch to another brand... damned gimmick

That is really bad light bleed!I would send it back.what size screen is it?I have the 43" and the screen is ok.

How happy I was to buy this TV and how disappointed I was when I saw how it goes, you should give me a gift the best TV , to forgive you ''Philips''.

Like all new products there is issues to be sorted.however the product should be fit for purpose.my tv has good picture quality in sdr.hdr is also good but could be improved.i don't have washed out colours that some have reported,but I expected hdr to be better than it is.the test is now how good customer support is in addressing these issues that have been reported,and how quickly.i will give them that opportunity.i have a return window that I will use if not.customers can make or break the reputation of a company.time will tell.

Like all new products there is issues to be sorted.however the product should be fit for purpose.my tv has good picture quality in sdr.hdr is also good but could be improved.i don't have washed out colours that some have reported,but I expected hdr to be better than it is.the test is now how good customer support is in addressing these issues that have been reported,and how quickly.i will give them that opportunity.i have a return window that I will use if not.customers can make or break the reputation of a company.time will tell.
I paid £380 for my tv and what you get is good value for what I paid.in reality hdr tv need 1000 bits or more to be good.so £2000-£3000 is probably the cost.

Thanks for your reply mate and happy Christmas to you 🎄

Do you need the "hue bridge" to connect the hue bulbs to the tv or will just the "hue app" connect them altogether? I'm wondering will ordinary WiFi colour bulbs do asI have 2 of them...
The price was good for this tv on that day alright !

Thanks for your reply mate and happy Christmas to you 🎄

Do you need the "hue bridge" to connect the hue bulbs to the tv or will just the "hue app" connect them altogether? I'm wondering will ordinary WiFi colour bulbs do asI have 2 of them...
The price was good for this tv on that day alright !
Merry xmas to you!Yes you need hue bridge and hue compatible bulbs.are you happy with picture quality on your tv?care to share your settings?

Hello everybody!
I'm a new owner of a 65pus7304, i still have to try setting the image properly, but even out of the box this IPS panel seems really good for the job it's supposed to do (use in a bright daylight for tv shows and in dark room for watching films during the night).

I'm just really worried about the ambilight, because it seems to lacks red component of the light.
Instead of white light it projects something like aqua or cyan light.
I tried to go into advanced setup to tune warm white but it works only if i keep the fixed warm white.

I nedd to say that the tv is wall mounted on a white wall.

I try also to change the setting of the wall colour and trying to switch on red walls (where it should reduces the red component of the rgb led) and there is a really slight difference from white wall setting.

Is it normal this behaviour or my tv could have a problem?
Your amblilight can reproduces a proper white "point" or creates a light aqua color?

Before asking ama*on to replace it with a new one, i need to understand if it's really a problem or a common behaviour of the ambilight.

Sorry for my bad english, I hope you can understand the problem and someone can help me.

Merry Xmas!

Just wanted to chime in to confirm the flickering issues with the 50PUS7304/12. I cannot say if this is related to the latest firmware version 173.004 (as a few mentioned beforehand), as I had the TV only for a few days. I have an opened case with Philips Support and they are looking into it further. Hopefully it is software related and we can get a fix for it, as the eye strain is horrible when viewing for longer periods.
It is software related since a downgrade fixes the problem.

My whites also have a tint of green like aqua, it also isnt very good at producing yellow colours.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom