Philips 7303 Crushed Blacks

JohnDimitrov

Novice Member
Reaction score
I had a 6703 before, but I replaced it with this 7303. I love movies and I’m a cinema’s student. So I have a huge collection of blu Rays, because I want to experience the most from a movie (basing on my budget). I noticed as soon as I start watching a blu Ray that this tv makes blacks and shadows really really dark. You lost details. The skin tones look artificial. But the sharpness is good. I tried to change some settings, but I think this tv makes everything darker. Even when I play videogames in game mode, shadows look really dark, and I don’t wanna play without game mode because it gives me full brightness and vibrant colors. About the blu rays, I’m afraid to change too much settings because of the movie grain, if you set something wrong you could notice grain. And I really don’t like it. I’m starting to think that 6703 was even sharper and brighter. I really don’t know what to do..
people said that this is a common problem for VA panels. I wanted to buy Sony XF70, but I'm afraid I would lost the vibrant colors and brightness that Philips can provide. So VA makes blacks really dark that you lost details, and the other kind of panel makes blacks tending to gray. I really miss my old plasma tv.. is this a common problem?

I've got the 6703 and yeah the blacks are black, as they should be, if you think you have black crush then adjust your settings, if you're too scared to adjust your settings I don't know what to tell you, all televisions need adjusting, they're never correct right out of the box.
If you're a gamer then load something with a brightness adjustment tool to see what's needed, after a lot of fiddling my TV looks great.
There are many tools online to help you, from guides to pics you can put on a stick drive.
If you study cinema then trust your eyes and get into the settings.

I've got the 6703 and yeah the blacks are black, as they should be, if you think you have black crush then adjust your settings, if you're too scared to adjust your settings I don't know what to tell you, all televisions need adjusting, they're never correct right out of the box.
If you're a gamer then load something with a brightness adjustment tool to see what's needed, after a lot of fiddling my TV looks great.
There are many tools online to help you, from guides to pics you can put on a stick drive.
If you study cinema then trust your eyes and get into the settings.

Do you think the blacks are crushed on the 6703? Playing video games, have you ever noticed loss of details in black areas? Where black appears too dark and deep that you miss what’s there? Watching movies, have you ever noticed that the shadows are too dark, especially shadows on faces ecc. I tried to set brightness to 60 but the result is just more washed out white. it’s like you can’t modify the black levels, it is what it is. On the 6703 I remember that movies were not that dark, but I had a normal ips panel, no va.

Do you think the blacks are crushed on the 6703? Playing video games, have you ever noticed loss of details in black areas? Where black appears too dark and deep that you miss what’s there? Watching movies, have you ever noticed that the shadows are too dark, especially shadows on faces ecc. I tried to set brightness to 60 but the result is just more washed out white. it’s like you can’t modify the black levels, it is what it is. On the 6703 I remember that movies were not that dark, but I had a normal ips panel, no va.

I recognize your problem. Did you followed all the steps in my earlier post for calibration for watching movies on Netflix etc? It’s important to set dynamic contrast on minimal. That solves the problem for about 80%. And video contrast on 88 (max 94).
With my settings I don’t have any problems with dark shadows around faces or vignetting in corners or washed out (yellow/ bright) faces etc.

No, not at all, out of the box it was terrible but it's all fixable, my picture is genuinely beautiful, I was hoping it would be be better than my previous Sony panel but I think I've just about got it on par as far as 1080p is concerned, I have no black crush Whatsoever.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom