Philips 7303 43'' VS 50'' - What Happened?

JohnDimitrov

Novice Member
Reaction score
So, I had this tv, Philips 7303 43'', but I sent it back for a 50'' model. And it feels like I have a different tv now. help me understand. The 43'' model, was darker, blacks were so deep like qled blacks, and colors pop out more thanks to color optimization. I'm a gamer so color were amazing, in game mode, I only turned contrast to 100, disable eco mode, and colors to 75. But I always had the feeling something was not right, the tv looked dim, I knew that the max brightness is 350 nit, so I thought "okay it is what it is", when I was playing game menus or some scenes looked very dim and dark, even with contrast to 100. i went to "brightness menu" in games, and they always say turn your brightness up until you see the figure, but even with all the game brightness up, you couldn't see the figure. I thought it's weird but maybe it's normal. PQ looked amazing overall, thanks to colors popping and deep blacks (but I had a major black crush on that tv). Watching Netflix I've noticed that sometime, the processor was struggling to encode the right colors, so I saw like "living pixels" trying to figure the color out, on skin tones and other stuff, especially in dark scenes (watching fast 8 on Netflix, HD, Movie mode, with all the tv enchanters off, no colors optimizer on or other stuff, there's a lot of scenes with this problem, or penny dreadful on netflix) same happened with blu rays. I mean, it was not that obvious, but an expert eye, can definitely see it. I decided to return the tv, because I had a transparent banding on the panel, and they gave me the 50'' version. A different world. First of all, the panel, the viewing angle are quite bad, if you sit on the front of the tv, you notice that the center is more dark, and right, left borders are more tending to a white light, if you move your head left to right, these light goes away and it becomes like the center of the tv, so I think it's viewing angles, but I didn't thought this would affect you even if you watch the tv in the front. But, I'm so surprised that the Brightness is so different and high now. things doesn't look dimmer anymore, it's so bright compared to the 43'' version. I soon noticed that colors were so different, in game mode I have to turn color to 95 if I want it to look like the 43'' version... but why? I thought they were the same. Then colors doesn't pop out like on the 43'', the pop out effect you can have it only if you keep "cold" as preset. But colors optimizations seems not working on the other presets, like standards, vivid. I have to turn the color setting up if I wanna the same effect of the previous 43'' one. Even for the other presets, I had my favorite settings, tested on the 43'', I tried to set the same settings on the 50'' and they look different, so I feel like I have to study new settings. Then, I've noticed a little bit less resolution, but maybe it's normal if you move from a 43 to a 50? (1600 ppi will look more popping out on a little panel, right?). The Black crush is gone, because blacks are not so deep like the 43'', I can see more details now. and the living pixels struggle is not there anymore, on the same movies I tried before. But black bars on movies tend to be more lighter. I'm happy for the brightness and the colors set to 95 in game mode. Even if without that deep black, it feels like the PQ is not deep anymore. So what happened here? I had a bad 43'' panel, dimmer with colors set to max, or the 50'' version use a different technology? I even thought to have a ips panel, but no clouding, and the 50'' version can have only the VA panel right? Or they have different panels manufactures? At this point, I just know every tv you buy is different from the same models..

Last edited:
49.5" Philips 50PUS7303/12 - Specifications

It should be a VA panel in the 50PUS7303/12. Try tapping the screen and pressure testing it to double check.

If you're having to move your head left and right to get the best blacks it sounds like a VA panel. It also sounds like you are sitting way too close to the panel !

You want to check if you have a VA panel ?

The VA panel is the one on the right....

I agree with Ekko. It should (must) be an VA panel. I have the 50 inch model and I get really deep black levels without grey spots in the corners or whatever. For VA panels you need to sit in front of the tv and you’ll notice how deep the blacks levels are with the right settings.

I agree with THX1234. These 7303/7383 TV's with a VA panel can reach really deep black levels.

It's a highly impressive TV and matched with the P5 Processor it can achieve aggressively sharp pictures or softer natural images dependent on your taste. Either way the P5 is an impressive and capable offering.

From reading the OP's post I would suspect they are simply sitting far too close to the TV.

yes, it's a VA panel, I did that test.
and yes, maybe I'm sitting too close for the size of my room. I just wanted to know why all of this lack of colors between same models, but different sizes. colors in game mode were perfect at 75. now I have to set the colors to 95 to match my previous 43''. I just wanted to know it this is normal or something is wrong. blacks are deep but no so deep as my previous 43''. talking about angle views, as you can see in this picture, in the center dark is almost deep, on the right side becomes more white, like a light is pointing on that zone, but if you move your head on that side, it becomes dark like the center, left side becomes white. this happens because I'm too close?

Attachments

• IMG_1762.jpg
    IMG_1762.jpg
    985.5 KB · Views: 119
and yes, maybe I'm sitting too close for the size of my room. I just wanted to know why all of this lack of colors between same models, but different sizes. colors in game mode were perfect at 75. now I have to set the colors to 95 to match my previous 43''. I just wanted to know it this is normal or something is wrong. blacks are deep but no so deep as my previous 43''. talking about angle views, as you can see in this picture, in the center dark is almost deep, on the right side becomes more white, like a light is pointing on that zone, but if you move your head on that side, it becomes dark like the center, left side becomes white. this happens because I'm too close?

You can try these Netflix settings in your Android TV app and see if you get a good picture. Follow all the steps. Giving your taste you can set colour higher and brightness down 55 or 50 for deep black levels.

Picture mode: Standard
Colour: 55 (close to calibration) or 60 (if you want more colour)
Contrast: 70 for daylight viewing/ evening lower)
Sharpness: 0 (or 1 if you prefer)
Brightness: 60 (for shadow details)
Colour enhancement: minimal. This is important to set on. In dark scenes you noticed the benefit on faces (not red or yellow). Huge difference and unfortunately you can’t turn this setting on in ISF calibration mode.
Colour temperature:
Red: 117 Green: 103: Blue: 93

Contrast mode: Off
HDR: Off
Dynamic contrast: MINIMAL. This is important to set on minimal. It get rid off all the dark areas/ contrast problems and grainy/ moire noise problems in scenes.
Video contrast: 88 (calibrated, details in skies)
Light sensor: Off
Gamma: +2 (this get the contrast balance back with dynamic contrast on minimal)

Ultra sharpness: Off
Noise reduction: Medium (important to set on for this tv model, this is where the P5 processor does an outstanding job)
Mpeg reduction: Minimal (same here)

The reason why you need to set these reductions on, is to get rid off the aggressive (over) sharping from the P5 processor on this tv model. You get a cleaner picture and it doesn’t effect the picture quality.

Motion style: Film/ movie (smoothest and closest to 24p without artefacts)

You can try these Netflix settings in your Android TV app and see if you get a good picture. Follow all the steps. Giving your taste you can set colour higher and brightness down 55 or 50 for deep black levels.

Picture mode: Standard
Colour: 55 (close to calibration) or 60 and higher (if you want more colour)
Contrast: 70 for daylight viewing/ evening lower)
Sharpness: 0 (or 1 if you prefer)
Brightness: 60 (for shadow details)
Colour enhancement: minimal. This is important to set on. In dark scenes you noticed the benefit on faces. Huge difference and unfortunately you can’t set this setting on in ISF calibration mode.
Colour temperature:
Red: 117 Green: 103: Blue: 93

Contrast mode: Off
HDR: Off
Dynamic contrast: MINIMAL. This is important to set on minimal. It get rid off all the dark areas/ contrast and grainy/ moire noise problems in scenes.
Video contrast: 88 (calibrated, details in white skies)
Light sensor: Off
Gamma: +2 (this get the contrast balance back with dynamic contrast on minimal)

Ultra sharpness: Off
Noise reduction: Medium (important to set on for this tv model, this is where the P5 processor does an outstanding job)
Mpeg reduction: Minimal (same here)

The reason why you need to set these reductions on, is to get rid off the aggressive (over) sharping from the P5 processor on this tv model. You get a cleaner picture and it doesn’t effect the picture quality.

Motion style: Film/ movie (smoothest and closest to 24p without artefacts)

Try THX's settings to begin with.

How far away are you actually sitting from the screen ? The field of view would depend quite a bit on that as well.

I doubt its uneven back lighting issues if you can move to either side and retain black levels.

Also it would really help to read your questions if you can write in paragraphs and try post pictures in horizontal format ?

Pictures taken in a darkened room can be deceptive if not taken correctly you see.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom