Philips 70PUS8555 Screen issue

Bennicut

Novice Member
Hi,

I got my 70PUS8555 last week and although I do love the TV I seem to have a weird shadow that is more apparent during panning which is very annoying. I have posted a photo below. This isn't just on this sample but on anything bright with a panning motion.

Can anyone advise if there's anything I can do about this please?

I've added a second photo to show my issue.

Thank you :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Bennicut

Novice Member

Get it replaced i would suggest
Thank you,

I will return it ASAP for a new one. I've only had it 2 weeks.

markfawcett

I don’t want to put you off but don’t be surprised if the replacement is just as bad.

It’s just one of those things with huge screen TVs sometimes, unfortunately.

Bennicut

Novice Member
I don’t want to put you off but don’t be surprised if the replacement is just as bad.

It’s just one of those things with huge screen TVs sometimes, unfortunately.
Looks like I have another issue with mine. I've watched Netflix this morning, no issues. Flicked over onto football on BT Sports and got a 1 inch section at the top of the screen that is out of sync with the rest of the screen.

Great stuff 🙄

Attachments

Tiriki

Looks like I have another issue with mine. I've watched Netflix this morning, no issues. Flicked over onto football on BT Sports and got a 1 inch section at the top of the screen that is out of sync with the rest of the screen.

Great stuff 🙄
I have this same problem with 70pus8535, did you update the firmware recently? In this post I tell a little more about my experience, I have already reported it in the Philips forum, I want to think that it is a problem of the last update.

Bennicut

Novice Member
I have this same problem with 70pus8535, did you update the firmware recently? In this post I tell a little more about my experience, I have already reported it in the Philips forum, I want to think that it is a problem of the last update.

I only updated it when the TV arrived 2 weeks ago. Its so annoying though. I've read your experience as I followed that thread before my TV arrived.

If I find any trends with mine I'll add it to the thread. The one I posted happened after watching Netflix and switching to my virgin media box on HDMI.

Let's hope they can sort this out.
🤞😁

Drexl

Distinguished Member

Having same issues following the recent firmware update - did you find anything to resolve?

Tiriki

Having same issues following the recent firmware update - did you find anything to resolve?
I notified it in the Philips forum and they asked me some questions, I sent them as much information as possible with videos included, they told me that there seems to be a problem with nearby bluetooth devices ... I doubt it but I am not an expert. I could not check if it happened in the previous firmware since when I bought the tv update almost instantaneously, you have been able to verify that before the update it did not happen? The guys at Philips told me they're going to look into it.

Drexl

Distinguished Member
Cheers for update.
I have raised a ticket too.
Never had any picture issued before in last 10 months with my TV. In the last week have noticed that picture is more pixelated/black crush issues and only thing I have changed is run the update recently.
Will see what they say back to me.
Issue is now I notice it all the time and it's very distracting

Attachments

Bennicut

Novice Member
I returned mine, as simple as a firmware update may be. How long are we meant to wait for it? Bluetooth issue is a bit ridiculous as the 70PUS8555's remote is connected via Bluetooth. Silly from Philips.

Let's hope they sort it out soon 🤞

2badmice

I have just updated my 43 inch and noticed this the other day, just at the top of the screen only, like the edging of a mirror, but completely out of syn on Plex app for Xbox and on ITV HD. No issues with playing Xbox One games, or watching the YouTube app on Xbox.

I got this set in February, but don't fancy the hassle of arranging a refund, when it has come from a Firmware update, just hope it gets back to Philips and they throw something out sooner rather than later.

I have the 58PUS9005 with the same issue of the screen having the top inch out of sync. Reported to Philips and initially got the standard 'reset everything and that'll do it', which is did for just under a week. Got the following response after, so hopefully it's on their radar to get resolved soon. Who knows for how long though...

After reviewing your case and escalating the issue, we have been informed that this situation is being investigated for the time being, so please keep your television ready for software updates and soon a solution will be provided.

The TV is intermittently displaying a horizontal bar at the top of the screen where the picture content is displayed with a small delay compared to the remainder of the visible screen area.

The issue can be temporarily recovered by disconnecting the TV set from mains and restarting the TV again, as you have already carried out.

We hope that the information provided has been helpful and would like to inform you that in the coming days you may receive a short survey through which you will have the opportunity to evaluate, with a maximum score of 10, the service we have given today. The survey is quick and easy to fill out and your comments can be of great help in improving our service.

Bennicut

Novice Member
I have the 58PUS9005 with the same issue of the screen having the top inch out of sync. Reported to Philips and initially got the standard 'reset everything and that'll do it', which is did for just under a week. Got the following response after, so hopefully it's on their radar to get resolved soon. Who knows for how long though...
Finally! This has taken them way too long to sort.
Lets hope it's fixed soon for everyone's sake. :)

2badmice

Thank you for this.

Do you happen to have an email address for how you reported it?

I find it odd that it shows on freeview and Plex via Xbox but not YouTube on Xbox.

Hi all,

Reported it through here:

I wonder if we could work out the issue and get back to them with it to speed up the process? Personally, I think Game Mode is the problem, but I'd be interested to know what everyone else's experiences are so we can hopefully speed it up.

For example... I almost always get the problem on anything on iplayer. I tried restarting the TV from the plug, and as soon as the TV turns on it goes to my HDMI2, which at the moment was a steamlink that wasn't turned on. I have that in Game Mode, but I noticed that Game Mode is actually greyed out whilst the device is switched off. As soon as it started up, I went into iplayer, played something (Harold Shipman documentary in case anyone wants to try and reproduce it...) and after about 6 seconds the top of the screen went wrong.

I then went back to HDMI2, frequent settings, and changed picture mode back to personal. I then restarted the TV with through Android Settings -> About -> Restart, and after it booted up again (and immediately went back to HDMI2), went into iplayer, same programme, and no issue with the top of the screen. I turned on the steamlink, went back to HDMI2, put it back into game mode, reopened iplayer and the same episode, and the top of my screen is broken.

If anyone else could confirm it may help to add some clout to this 'investigation' and get it tied up sooner!

Tiriki

I reported this problem to Philips a few weeks ago with great detail (videos, photos), a few days ago I updated to a new firmware and today I tried a few minutes to force the failure, turning on ps4 and returning to tv channels, the Failure has not appeared like other times, I need to do more tests to check it 100%.

From what I see there are many different models affected and from different years, so it is possible that they share firmware and this is the problem.

2badmice

Hi all,

Reported it through here:

I wonder if we could work out the issue and get back to them with it to speed up the process? Personally, I think Game Mode is the problem, but I'd be interested to know what everyone else's experiences are so we can hopefully speed it up.

For example... I almost always get the problem on anything on iplayer. I tried restarting the TV from the plug, and as soon as the TV turns on it goes to my HDMI2, which at the moment was a steamlink that wasn't turned on. I have that in Game Mode, but I noticed that Game Mode is actually greyed out whilst the device is switched off. As soon as it started up, I went into iplayer, played something (Harold Shipman documentary in case anyone wants to try and reproduce it...) and after about 6 seconds the top of the screen went wrong.

I then went back to HDMI2, frequent settings, and changed picture mode back to personal. I then restarted the TV with through Android Settings -> About -> Restart, and after it booted up again (and immediately went back to HDMI2), went into iplayer, same programme, and no issue with the top of the screen. I turned on the steamlink, went back to HDMI2, put it back into game mode, reopened iplayer and the same episode, and the top of my screen is broken.

If anyone else could confirm it may help to add some clout to this 'investigation' and get it tied up sooner!

Thank you for the link. I only experience the issue on Freeview which is the antenna source and on Plex which is on HDMI 1 for the Xbox. Yet if I open YouTube on the Xbox, same input, the issue isn't there at all.

When my children watch for example Bluey on Plex, during moving scenes the bar is there and I have watched other TV shows on Plex and the same issue, but anything that is via the YouTube app, it doesn't show up, regardless of the content I am watching. Which is bizarre.

Are you using Game Mode to
I reported this problem to Philips a few weeks ago with great detail (videos, photos), a few days ago I updated to a new firmware and today I tried a few minutes to force the failure, turning on ps4 and returning to tv channels, the Failure has not appeared like other times, I need to do more tests to check it 100%.

From what I see there are many different models affected and from different years, so it is possible that they share firmware and this is the problem.
I'm on a 58PUS9005 and have this issue, unfortunately with the latest firmware (23rd of Sept I believe). The firmware is definitely shared, according to this site by quite a few models (Philips: Neue Firmware für 2019/2020er TVs mit Android TV 9 Pie (TPM191E: 101.1.123.3) - Toengels Philips Blog):

OLED935 with sound from Bowers & Wilkins (3.1.2 Soundbar) and Ambilight 4
    OLED805, OLED855 and OLED865
    9435 with sound from Bowers & Wilkins (2.1.2 Dolby Atmos Soundbar)
    9235 with 2.1 sound from Bowers & Wilkins
    8505/8535/8545/8555 Performance Series
    OLED984 with sound from Bowers & Wilkins (3.0 Soundbar) and Ambilight 4
    OLED934 with sound from Bowers & Wilkins (2.1.2 Dolby Atmos Soundbar)
    OLED804, OLED854
    8804 with sound by Bowers & Wilkins
    7504 with sound base in the table stand
    7304, 7334, 7354, 7394 - Performance Series - “The ONE to watch”

I'm surprised it hasn't been rectified sooner, it's really quite irritating.

Thank you for the link. I only experience the issue on Freeview which is the antenna source and on Plex which is on HDMI 1 for the Xbox. Yet if I open YouTube on the Xbox, same input, the issue isn't there at all.

When my children watch for example Bluey on Plex, during moving scenes the bar is there and I have watched other TV shows on Plex and the same issue, but anything that is via the YouTube app, it doesn't show up, regardless of the content I am watching. Which is bizarre.

Are you using Game Mode to view the Xbox? When you next have a chance, could you try setting it to Personal, rebooting the TV completely, and then seeing if you can reproduce the issue? If not, could you turn Game Mode back on and see if there's any change?

I really think this is it.. I'm a software developer so I'll never say I'm 100% sure I've worked it out, but my tests seem to have revealed this. If I switch to a source that's in Game mode, then go into iplayer or anything like that, it's broken. However, if I don't enter a source in Game mode, or I enter a source in Game mode and switch it back to anything else, or I switch to any HDMI source that isn't in game mode before entering iplayer, it behaves as expected.

If nothing else, I'm relieved I now have a way I can resolve it, as long as I switch to an HDMI source that isn't in game mode everything behaves. Unfortunately if you're getting this issue IN game mode and need to use it, I don't have a solution, but hopefully if I give this info to Philips it'll get a fix out sooner!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More

Latest News

Humax launches AURA 4K Freeview Play Recorder
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Fyne Audio adds new standmounts to F1 speaker range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Mark Levinson expands 5000 Series with amplifiers and players
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 14th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton