Question Philips 6703/6753 - ARC vs HDR?

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by Bossworld, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Bossworld

Bossworld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I feel I've spent too long reading up on these sets, finally plumped for the 6753 over the Android 7303 as I've got a Fire TV gen 2 and it seems the Android implementation on the Fire TV handles refresh rate switching better and audio pass through.

I have a Marantz NR1508 that handles all HDMI inputs and drives a 5.1 system.

I've just read that the Philips TV supports ARC (& 4K 30hz) on HDMI1, but HDR (& 4k 60hz) on HDMI2 and HDMI3.

This seems ridiculous - presumably I have to make a choice between future HDR compatibiltiy (yes I'm aware the sets' brightness doesn't lend itself to true HDR), and ARC for the inbuilt Freeview Tuner/Netflix? In which case, do I need to forget the 6753 and jump straight to the 7303?

EDIT: I'll lose the faux outrage, it appears from research HDMI ARC is just SPDIF carried over HDMI. Therefore, DD+ isn't possible via either. I'll just run an optical cable between the TV and the receiver and use HDMI2 on the TV and save the £100 on the TV.

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  2. SmAShY

SmAShY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Dolby Digital Plus is possible over HDMI ARC isn't it? Dobly Atmos on Netflix is compressed so is carried by DD+.

I'm in in a similar predicament in that my Sony HT-X8500 soundbar only has 1 input. It supports eARC but my 6703 doesn't. I can't plug my PS4 into the soundbar as the HDR won't pass through as I use HDMI 1 for arc due to my Sky Box and internal apps. Still trying to figure out the best way to set this up so I don't have to move things about when watching/playing something with HDR.

3. Darbo

Darbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I don't know how the Philips would get in with your Marantz but I can tell you it doesn't get on with my Sony ampm at all, to the degree where arc is disabled as is hdmi cec, love the tv but this is annoying on a daily basis.

4. Bossworld

Bossworld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Thanks both, that's useful to hear your experiences.

@SmAShY - the Philips manual advises DD+ isn't available via S/PDIF . It doesn't specifically say it's not possible via HDMI and the insinuation in the manual is that it is possible. But further Google searching, which is what led me to the conclusion re ARC, example:

Dolby Digital Plus over ARC : hometheater

(Snapilica's post )

@Darbo - no harm done then, I found a 2m optical in my box of cables which I've just run through the wall. Happy to carry on with two remotes.

Attached Files:

5. SmAShY

SmAShY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    In All Settings - Sound - Advanced - Digital out format it says the following;

Select Dolby Digital Plus to send bitstream in Dolby Digital Plus from HDMI ARC (SPDIF output will be disabled). Make sure the connected HDMI Sound System is capable of playing back Dolby Digital Plus content.

My Sony HT-X8500 does support Dolby Digital Plus over HDMI ARC.

6. Bossworld

Bossworld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Cool, the other thread had some interesting discussion about how ARC was originally specced/designed, but real life experience trumps theory.

I don't have any real HDR sources at the moment so I could always chuck it on HDMI1 as a test when the set arrives I guess.

7. SmAShY

SmAShY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I do have to confess to not actually having played any DD+ through the soundbar yet, only DD via my Sky HD+ box so can't confirm 100% that it does work. I'm just going by what it says in the TV menus.

8. Bossworld

Bossworld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    The later posts in that thread I linked to suggest some receivers allow for it, even if not technically 'within spec'.

To be honest, I'm not too knowledgeable about this stuff anyway - with only a 5.1 system am I missing out on anything by choosing 'multichannel' on the TV rather than the setting that would give DD+?

Another interesting page here - ARC / eARC COMPATIBILITY

9. SmAShY

SmAShY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I'm not sure - sorry! Trust your ears though.