Philips 65PUS8555 IPS Panel?

rajatparihar

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am about to buy 65 inch Philips PUS8555 series and I am worried about many youtube reviews saying it has an IPS panel which is inferior to the VA panels in terms of contrast and deep blacks. I would like to have an honest user opinion if that is true? and if yes then how bacd are the blacks in an IPS panel for a normal user?

My TV placement will be in the living room which is south facing so mostly bright during the day and we watch the television at night with ceiling lights on. Do you think IPS will be best suited for us? I know the 70PUS8555 is a VA panel but I checked its width and it is slightly more than the space that I have.

Genuinely looking for your help and suggestion here. Thanks in advance. Love from Ireland :)

2020-10-14_Toengels-Philips-Blog_Philips-TV-Overview-Range-Line-up_2020-1.png

Hope this helps, but do not trust to much specs of hardware. As in terms of IPS vs VA I think you need to see yourself. I personally trust my eyes o_O All I can say philips uses budget panels, so 400cdm is poor anyway either its IPS or VA... Best reading some forum threads relating 8000 series and 9000 series and make your decision. Also there is price difference within countries so all I can say do not bother paying premium as Philips is not worth it :lesson: if you can buy one, trial 14days return for refund, get another one :)

Hi, I am about to buy 65 inch Philips PUS8555 series and I am worried about many youtube reviews saying it has an IPS panel which is inferior to the VA panels in terms of contrast and deep blacks. I would like to have an honest user opinion if that is true? and if yes then how bacd are the blacks in an IPS panel for a normal user?

My TV placement will be in the living room which is south facing so mostly bright during the day and we watch the television at night with ceiling lights on. Do you think IPS will be best suited for us? I know the 70PUS8555 is a VA panel but I checked its width and it is slightly more than the space that I have.

Genuinely looking for your help and suggestion here. Thanks in advance. Love from Ireland :)

Would depend on what you consider to be normal usage.

Obviously its not exactly going to be OLED standards, but I have the 55PUS7334 which is an IPS panel. I chose this as viewing angels were important for where it was going to be placed (conservatory wall and a very bright environment)

Getting the PQ settings right on the Philips tellys is paramount, as out of the box settings range from dull to eye-bleeding.

Once you have it set up right, I've found mine to be excellent. Honestly, I'm really enjoying mine even though at a relatively low nits for HDR/DV, the set is capable of some very good results, including black levels

I've owned budget LCD, High end/high nits LCD, VA & IPS panels. I have an LG in the front room which was their flagship LED from 2yrs ago, but I can honestly say that the 430 quid I spent on the philips was a great deal.

Hope that waffle helps.

Would depend on what you consider to be normal usage.

Obviously its not exactly going to be OLED standards, but I have the 55PUS7334 which is an IPS panel. I chose this as viewing angels were important for where it was going to be placed (conservatory wall and a very bright environment)

Getting the PQ settings right on the Philips tellys is paramount, as out of the box settings range from dull to eye-bleeding.

Once you have it set up right, I've found mine to be excellent. Honestly, I'm really enjoying mine even though at a relatively low nits for HDR/DV, the set is capable of some very good results, including black levels

I've owned budget LCD, High end/high nits LCD, VA & IPS panels. I have an LG in the front room which was their flagship LED from 2yrs ago, but I can honestly say that the 430 quid I spent on the philips was a great deal.

Hope that waffle helps.

Great reply mate. Thanks your comment is very valid that the right setting not just in Philips but in others as well is a key to a real game. Can I ask you something: when they talk about max brightness of 400 nits or say 600 or more on others, does that mean the brightest at 100 (max) setting? Because I will never keep my brightness at 100 even if I go for OLED or high-end LCDs.

Great reply mate. Thanks your comment is very valid that the right setting not just in Philips but in others as well is a key to a real game. Can I ask you something: when they talk about max brightness of 400 nits or say 600 or more on others, does that mean the brightest at 100 (max) setting? Because I will never keep my brightness at 100 even if I go for OLED or high-end LCDs.

I think that would be the case in regards to nits, however its not particularly the 'brightness' setting, but more the back-light controls (which on the philips is somewhat confusing as its termed differently).

I dont have my back light at max, but when viewing DV/HDR it auto recognises this input and changes the settings to best suit.

As good as my set is, like others I didn't expect mind blowing HDR results and it doesn't deliver that due to the fairly low nit output. However, for standard HD viewing, the panel is still pretty bright for viewing in very bright environments

Has anyone checked displayspecifications lately? They now list the 65pus8505 and the 43inch as mva panels. I though there were both ips. Can anyone (especially model owners ) verify or deny? Have they just got it wrong or is there a panel lottery?

Its been found that the 65inch could have IPS or an MVA panel.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom