Philips 65PUS7601 UHD 4K TV Review & Comments

Very interesting TV, thanks.

I found a Belgian review that mentions that pressing "8687 MUTE" will enable/disable touchpad which cures the fiddly remote operation.

That review did not mention anything dramatically bad about the OOTB colours, hopefully it really is just some firmware bug and not such massive panel variance.

Great review Steve...
(1) Is the ISF Ambilight setting @ the correct 6500K level do you know?
(2) Two Samsung UHD 65" models are currently available now for below 2000 UK pounds Steve, the Samsung 65" UE65KS8000 (approx.1999 pounds) and 65" UE65KS7000 (1799 pounds)...so cutting to the chase...between this Philips and the Samsung UE65KS8000 model, which produces the better picture? Which would you choose?...

Great review Steve...
(1) Is the ISF Ambilight setting @ the correct 6500K level do you know?
(2) Two Samsung UHD 65" models are currently available now for below 2000 UK pounds Steve, the Samsung 65" UE65KS8000 (approx.1999 pounds) and 65" UE65KS7000 (1799 pounds)...so cutting to the chase...between this Philips and the Samsung UE65KS8000 model, which produces the better picture? Which would you choose?...
Yes, the ISF mode produces a D65 bias light. The KS8000 and KS7000 are both excellent and at those prices I'd be inclined to go for one of them, probably the KS8000 if you've got the extra £200.

Yes, the ISF mode produces a D65 bias light. The KS8000 and KS7000 are both excellent and at those prices I'd be inclined to go for one of them, probably the KS8000 if you've got the extra £200.

Thank you for reply. We are spoilt for choice these days and prices are slowly dropping- happy days :)

Thanks for the review Steve, it's been quite a while waiting for this set to appear!

I've been following the reviews on avforums for quite a while now and I've noticed that you guys have a tendency to be perhaps a little brief in your assessment of local dimming performance in contrast (;)) to the impressively extensive reporting on colour / grey scale calibration.

To take the Dx902 as an example, despite having 512 zones the local dimming algorithm actually leaves quite a lot to be desired, particularly with HDR content. You are left with the option of definitively lesser contrast performance and rather grey/fluctuating black bars with the least aggressive option or better blacks/contrast at the expense of considerable artifact including an obvious "banding effect" on panning content. I never really got that impression from your review, yet these issues somewhat cripple the HDR performance of the set IMO. Someone like John Archer, although giving a considerably less scientific low down on the set, actually describes the performance of it with this sort of content in a way that more reflects my experience with it at home. It would also be nice to have seen the THX mode explored a bit further as many people will use this rather than a professional calibration; for the DX902 the set behaves considerably differently in this than all the other modes, in both positive and negative ways.

In a similar vein, I haven't really got a "feel" for the actual dark room performance of this FALD Philips set from your write-up. It would be useful to know how effectively it can keep the letterboxing fully dimmed in a darker room, for example, and if haloing is suppressed by elevating absolute black areas around brighter content. How's the reaction time of the LED dimming on panning shots (the Dx902 Achilles heel)? What sort of options are available for adjustment or is it an on/off situation?

Not knocking you guys as its great to read your opinions, but perhaps food for thought. I personally feel these sort of issues on a FALD set are at least as important as colour accuracy etc in terms of enjoyment of the set at home.

i agree, where the reviews are always fantastic, dark room performance and local dimming really need need more action on here, these are often the deciding factors for people as general picture quality is generally very good on most high end TV's now - and you cannot demo dark room and local dimming performance in store at all, or its pointless.

On your excellent review you mention the banding issue which has effected all back lit TV's you have seen this year.Does this mean that on the Sony ZD9 which you reviewed that there is now some banding visible (as mentioned by forum members) although initially in your review you said that you did not notice any banding?

On your excellent review you mention the banding issue which has effected all back lit TV's you have seen this year.Does this mean that on the Sony ZD9 which you reviewed that there is now some banding visible (as mentioned by forum members) although initially in your review you said that you did not notice any banding?
That's true, the ZD9 was the one exception this year, at least on the sample I reviewed.

Thanks for the review Steve, it's been quite a while waiting for this set to appear!

I've been following the reviews on avforums for quite a while now and I've noticed that you guys have a tendency to be perhaps a little brief in your assessment of local dimming performance in contrast (;)) to the impressively extensive reporting on colour / grey scale calibration.

To take the Dx902 as an example, despite having 512 zones the local dimming algorithm actually leaves quite a lot to be desired, particularly with HDR content. You are left with the option of definitively lesser contrast performance and rather grey/fluctuating black bars with the least aggressive option or better blacks/contrast at the expense of considerable artifact including an obvious "banding effect" on panning content. I never really got that impression from your review, yet these issues somewhat cripple the HDR performance of the set IMO. Someone like John Archer, although giving a considerably less scientific low down on the set, actually describes the performance of it with this sort of content in a way that more reflects my experience with it at home. It would also be nice to have seen the THX mode explored a bit further as many people will use this rather than a professional calibration; for the DX902 the set behaves considerably differently in this than all the other modes, in both positive and negative ways.

In a similar vein, I haven't really got a "feel" for the actual dark room performance of this FALD Philips set from your write-up. It would be useful to know how effectively it can keep the letterboxing fully dimmed in a darker room, for example, and if haloing is suppressed by elevating absolute black areas around brighter content. How's the reaction time of the LED dimming on panning shots (the Dx902 Achilles heel)? What sort of options are available for adjustment or is it an on/off situation?

Not knocking you guys as its great to read your opinions, but perhaps food for thought. I personally feel these sort of issues on a FALD set are at least as important as colour accuracy etc in terms of enjoyment of the set at home.

i agree, where the reviews are always fantastic, dark room performance and local dimming really need need more action on here, these are often the deciding factors for people as general picture quality is generally very good on most high end TV's now - and you cannot demo dark room and local dimming performance in store at all, or its pointless.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll add more detail on local dimming (where appropriate) and dark room performance in future reviews.

Thanks Steve, a very good review, i really waited for it. I am a bit disappointed by Philips and out-of-the-box performance. I had hoped for a better performance by the Philips.

I have to make a decision this week: PHILIPS 65PUS7601, SONY 65 ZD9 or LG 65 C OLED, the Philips is cheaper by around 1000 GBP, SONY and LG 65C are the same price. Which one should i chose, any difference in future proofing (the next 3 years)? My only HDR source ist Netflix streaming, i watch mostly in dark rooms. All of them will be a massive upgrade on my current 55 inch LG. And finally for the wife: which is the best and worst looking of the three?

Thanks Steve, great review as always. Where are you finding the pricing information for this TV? Or re-sellers? I cannot find this anywhere on Google for purchase.

Thanks

Thanks Steve, a very good review, i really waited for it. I am a bit disappointed by Philips and out-of-the-box performance. I had hoped for a better performance by the Philips.

I have to make a decision this week: PHILIPS 65PUS7601, SONY 65 ZD9 or LG 65 C OLED, the Philips is cheaper by around 1000 GBP, SONY and LG 65C are the same price. Which one should i chose, any difference in future proofing (the next 3 years)? My only HDR source ist Netflix streaming, i watch mostly in dark rooms. All of them will be a massive upgrade on my current 55 inch LG. And finally for the wife: which is the best and worst looking of the three?

can you not push your budget to an LG OLED B6?, this would be a much better option for dark rooms.

can you not push your budget to an LG OLED B6?, this would be a much better option for dark rooms.
Yes, i have the money. I was looking at the LG 65 OLED C6 and it's one of my final options. Steve is tougher on the Philips than for example TrustedReviews, i had the impression (inlcuding from German users) that the Philips is an excellent value buy and the Sony ZD9 or LG C6 are really not worth the price difference for the average user (except maybe in dark rooms).

Thanks Steve, great review as always. Where are you finding the pricing information for this TV? Or re-sellers? I cannot find this anywhere on Google for purchase.

Thanks
Philips UK said it would be available from Argos but they have no idea when :confused:

If you have the budget I'd go for the ZD9, exceptional performance, great future proofing and it's the best looking of the three you list. The 7601 is great value though. If the sample I reviewed had tested better out of the box, then it would have been a definite Best Buy.

Isn't the hisense 65 a better bet at around a third of the cost of this? It certainly seems read like it.

Can't find this for sale anywhere, but the price of the 65" Panny from recognisable stores (online or offline) is more like £2,800. So if this comes in at the reviewed price, it's a bit of a bargain.

Can't find this for sale anywhere, but the price of the 65" Panny from recognisable stores (online or offline) is more like £2,800. So if this comes in at the reviewed price, it's a bit of a bargain.

It doesn't perform as well as the full array Panasonic...in fact, doesn't perform as well as similarly priced non- full array Samsung models... so I wouldn't classify the Philips a bargain at all.
I was interested in this tv myself having previously owned a Philips 21:9 tv but I'm now scratching my head wondering who'd be interested in this tv unless the price drops down to maybe 1500-1700 UK pounds.

It doesn't perform as well as the full array Panasonic...in fact, doesn't perform as well as similarly priced non- full array Samsung models... so I wouldn't classify the Philips a bargain at all.
I was interested in this tv myself having previously owned a Philips 21:9 tv but I'm now scratching my head wondering who'd be interested in this tv unless the price drops down to maybe 1500-1700 UK pounds.

How can you say it doesn't perform as well as the edge-lit Samsungs without seeing both head to head??

Steve on one-hand says the KS8000 is a better bet but on the other says if this was more accurate out of the box it would be a definite Best Buy. Confusing to say the least ... not seen a pro calibrator talk himself out of a job before.;)

Over the weekend I took a long hard look at the owners thread of the KS8000 and it is an absolute bomb-scare of a TV by the sounds of things - brilliant if you get a decent panel, but your chances of getting a decent panel seem to be very slim. It certainly eliminated it from my "potential list".

Over the weekend I took a long hard look at the owners thread of the KS8000 and it is an absolute bomb-scare of a TV by the sounds of things - brilliant if you get a decent panel, but your chances of getting a decent panel seem to be very slim. It certainly eliminated it from my "potential list".

Oh, sounds an awful lot like the Dell panel lottery a good few years back when you didn't know if you'd be receiving the coveted IPS or inferior PVA panel until you saw the serial num!

While every manufacturer produces the occasional bad model/unit, I got a bit stung by my last Samsung screen with brightness pops and then a big green line down it. Unfortunately it was from Comet, who of course went bust, and I left it too long before trying to reclaim it through the credit card company.

What a weird post. The Panasonic is about £800 more expensive so you'd think it performs a bit better. The KS8000 might be better when it comes to panel lottery but people have had a real shitty luck with the KS7000. On a different forum there are users with 3rd panels from Samsung and they're really not that pleased.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/924/blwhp8.jpg
http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums...oads/1474150248669-1022333746_zpsucigeyjz.jpg

Just a two different 65" KS7000's.

To me the biggest complaint is the the ootb performance which is somewhat repairable with calibration so I'm taking my chances with the 7601.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom