Philips 6557 iDTV Picture problems

JJM

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just taken delivery of a 32DW6557 to replace a 32PW6506 that had poor geometry, fishbowl on NTSC and a big blue patch.

The 32DW6557 has none of the faults listed above. But, the picture is lacking in fine detail for mid- to dark tones. Impossible to correct using available settings. Brightness in particular seems VERY sensitive, a few notches either way changes from too dark to too light.

It seems as if the gamma setting (or whatever is the equivalent in TV) is way wrong. I can't get into the service menu using the codes listed for other Philips TVs. I'd be a bit hesitant too. The TV was bought from Rackhams Leicester who are only too happy to replace/refund - but they say they cannot send out an engineer. Pity, if it is something like a gamma setting then a simple tweak should fix it. Another, possibly related, imperfection is that B&W movies are slightly sepia tinted unless the colour is turned right down. Again, it may due to individual RGB gamma (whatever) settings being wrong.

Any ideas? Other than send it back - which is the top option at present.

Anyone been in to the service menu on the 6557?

Cheers,

-JJM

:hiya:

Sorry to hear about your 6506 probs.

I've had my £600 6515 for the last 5 months,which seems to be identical to your 6506 and is fine.

What are you testing the 32DW6557 with,as a DVD is the best?

The 32DW6557 looks like the same spec as mine,is it?

Yes, tested using DVDs. In particular, B&W DVDs of:
Sunset Blvd. R1
Day the Earth Stood Still R1
Some Like it Hot R2
The Magician R2

Most likely exchange the TV for a Loewe - appears to be a very common route: several of any-mainstream-brand.... then Loewe.

AOB - a pity reviewers of TVs never seem to mention picture quality for B&W. For some it's just as important as colour.

R N M, an impressive list of faults!

Mine wasn't too bad in all those respects, but the way-off gamma(?) settings mean it's impossible to get an image that is both 'punchy' and has shadow detail.

It is going back for a refund. The Aventos is the most likely replacement. Digital channels were never much of an issue for me.

As has been oft said in this forum: TVs are built down to a price, not up to a standard. Maybe it's simply unreasonable to expect a reliable, consistent product for £800-£900. The Loewe Aventos isn't actually much more, ~£1200 - perhaps that's the minimum we should expect to pay for a bare-bones set.

I hope you get your problems sorted out.

:clap:

Hooray Trading Standards! :smashin:

:clap:

They have sent me an e-mail today saying that they have upheld my complaint against Philips, and are going to take some kind of action. What that entails, I'm not sure, but I hope to see something done.

Whatever manufacturers do to TV, making them up or down to the price, they (and everything you buy) should work properly for the purpose it was made. There's no excuse for the issues with the set I had.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom