1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 6515

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Comicman, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Comicman

Comicman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just reserved one of these (32") after viewing one in Jessops. Seemed really good. But I have heard negative reviews, can anyone fill me in on this.

Also it has Virtual Dolby, is this any good on the set. Over all which is better Nicam or Virtual Dolby?

Let me know what you think of this set.

2. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do a search on here for various threads on this model. Its mainly bad but a lot of the dogdy sets seem to be the 28" model. I have had my 32" for about 6 months and its got a great picture for DVD and TV. The sound you'll have to decide on yourself as mine is used with a surround sound receiver etc...
    Basically its a good set as long as you get a good one which does seem to be the case with most widescreens. Sony & Toshiba also have there problems.

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nicam is a system used for analogue broadcasts. If a TV is Nicam-capable (and they virtually all are these days, apart from the odd portable set) then it can receive these. If a set is just a Nicam set, then it is just stereo. If it has Virtual Dolby as well, then it can provide you with surround sound from 2 speakers (but it doesn't compare to separates).

The sound on the 6515 is very good for a TV set and the Virtual Dolby is one of the best I've heard. The picture was also sharp and colourful with a nice contrast range. However, that's where the nice stuff ends, unfortunately. I had two 28PW6515s and sent them both back. Both sets had the worst geometry I have ever seen in my life (including an interesting wavy picture during panning shots and tremendous bending towards the right near the top of the tube). The second set also made loud popping noises throughout the entire duration of the set being on (so loud, it used to make me jump!), and all four corners of the picture were blurred. As far as I could ascertain, these problems are caused by bad set design rather than just a bad batch or anything like that.

As Mitch has said, you'll find lots of comments and experiences about this set on the forum.