1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 6506 / dvd sound problem

Discussion in 'TVs' started by wharfman, Mar 3, 2003.

1. wharfman

wharfman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is going to sound very weird, but is this little niggle is driving me barmy.

When I play dvd's on my Wharfedale 750s through the tv speakers there is , what i can only describe as slight rumbling noise underneath the dialogue track. It's driving me crazy trying to work out what it is!!

It only seems to be with dvd's although i did hear it the other day while channel hopping and watching 5 minutes of Babylon 5??!!

2. Jonathan West

Jonathan West

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if this sounds too obvious - have you set the TV volume to 0?:lesson:

3. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Wharfman,

I had the same problem with my 9527, I think it is crosstalk from the tv.

I mentioned it to engineer when he came to look at dark bars. He mentioned that it was something to do with signals coming thru' the scart lead, not sure exactley how.

Mine only happened when i had dvd through ext. 2 and cable thru' ext. 3. So I switched them around and the problem disappeared.

When tv volume was muted, i couldnt hear anything then.

Paul

4. wharfman

wharfman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes it only happens when waching a dvd through the tv. But why is only dvd affected all the time?? is it cheap leads? They're all individually screened.

My system is linked dvd>vcr2 socket.>vcr 1 to digibox>tv.

5. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im not really up on the technical side of things, when the engineer came, he mentioned that it could be the quality of scart.

Do you have seperate speakers or do you just run dvd through tv speakers?

Paul

6. wharfman

wharfman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Normaly Tv speakers......however I do use my amp and extra speakers sometimes for the big blockbusters.

I don't think that there is a problem with amp/speakers. I need to have a good sort out and see if I can eliminate possibilities

7. dan_ys

dan_ys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have this problem too. It is only noticable when I have the sound mode on 'theatre' or 'music'. It is quite irritating, but I haven't got a seperate sound system at the moment, and it sounds rather reedy in the other modes, so I just have to put up with it. I would say it sounds more like a computer searching the hard disk or under heavy strain than rumbling.

8. wharfman

wharfman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dan_ys.....Do you have the 6506? That's exactly it!!! although I've not noticed that it is only in Theatre mode ( and doesn't the Theatre mode automaticaly activate 'incredible surround mode')

My previous Philips set , which i was forced to replace due to tube failure, had a theatre mode but i didn't like that mode at on.....this one sounds much better, except of course when watching dvd's.

9. dan_ys

dan_ys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I have a 28PW6506. I think the theatre mode is the incredible surround one, yeah. When I change the sound mode to 'Personal' there is no hdd reading noise from the set. I just turn the volume up and it is less noticable. It is a very weird occurence though. And my picture is perfect, so it is very annoying.

10. wharfman

wharfman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    indeed it is......If I can't get rid of it by changing connections I'll be getting someone to have a look at it.

One thing, all we are doing by changing those settings is altering bass/treble so it's probably still there, but less noticable

11. wharfman

wharfman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    changed the sound settinings.........it's still there.....and tried other leads and another dvd player. I've e mailed Philips this morning

12. dan_ys

dan_ys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I rang Philips myself, and they said that they had no idea what the problem was. I have an engineer coming to look at the set next week...

13. wharfman

wharfman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got one coming as well next week. Don't think he's an engineer as such ( and I don't intend to let him fiddle) , he's the guy who installed it. He'll report back to the store I got it from, who have told me that they will replace the set as it's only a few weeks old.

The problem is not just dvd's either it's sky and the terrestial. I'm concerned that they will say there's nothing wrong, but there is!!

14. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is your audio out setting on the DVD?

Is it 2 channel or surround sound?

Playing stereo material with an audio system set to "surround" can generate random background noise from any out of phase material on a plain stereo track.

Just a thought...

15. dan_ys

dan_ys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll try fiddling with the audio settings on my DVD player again, but I think I already tried that and it made no difference. My set is also only a couple of weeks old, and I'd rather be safe than sorry whilst I can still replace it. It's a shame, as it was a good deal.

16. dan_ys

dan_ys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, I hope so too. I made my sister listen and she said she couldn't hear anything, but it is really obvious to me.

17. wharfman

wharfman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm convinced it's the tv, as it happens thru Sky as well. My engineer is coming Friday. If yours is earlier let me know what happens. Where did you get your's from??

18. wharfman

wharfman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it's deffo the tv! where did yours come from? my engineerer is here Friday 21st........let me know what yours says if he's there before mine

19. dan_ys

dan_ys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine from Hi-Spek, £448.98 with stand and a free VCR. Thought that was pretty decent. They are ringing monday, so I doubt mine will see the TV before yours.

20. wharfman

wharfman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had a similar deal, with free vcr and 5 year guarantee, fingers crossed for friday

21. jammods

jammods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Against my better better judgement I just got the 6506 and Vcr for £450 on a price match with JL. Dont get me wrong I think its fantastic value (When coupled with the Sony ht-p1000) I will have a full set up for under £800 then add £50 for the stands for the fronts =£840. Bargain I think so.

Back to the judgement thing I had the 6515 before christmas £650 with 3 year guarantee, :eek: but the picture was crap so I sent it back as they didnt have another in stock.

The 6506 is basically the same set without the virtual surround, so I just hope I get lucky with the tube.

Its being delivered so I will post my finds later in the week:D

22. wharfman

wharfman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a replacement Tv this morning......it seemed ok when the guy was insatalling , but i have a sneaky suspision that the problem is still there during the very brief play i was ablr to have when he left. How can this be!!!???