Philips 630(642) or Pioneer 470?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by NeilF, Aug 19, 2004.

1. NeilF

NeilF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I want a good quality DVD player which will also play all my "backed up" films... eg: If I put 5-6 films in various formats on a DVD+RW I want to be able to play them.

I was looking at a Yamada 6600, but have heard a couple of negative things about it so am tempted to go with a big brand name.

Any suggestions?

I don't need onboard decoding as I have a separate DTS etc decoder... Hence me going for the lower models and not the Philips 720 and Pioneer 575...

The Philips is a fair bit cheaper.

2. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I can't vouch for the Yamada or Philips players but the Pioneer DV-470 plays everything I've thrown at it:

DVD-R
    DVD+R
    DVD-RW
    DVD+RW
    DVD-RW (VR)

It evens plays unfinalised DVD's and DIVX. Build quality is excellent and I've not encountered lip synch problems on my various TV sets and small LCD TV which I have with cheaper Chinese produced DVD players (which have all gone in the bin).

It also copes with the cheapest DVD-R's from the computer fair which cost £0.15p. Cool.

For what it's worth the DV-470 is worth every penny IMHO.

Picture quality is great on the LCD.