1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 610 cabling and more - Newbie

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Geoff Harden, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Geoff Harden

Geoff Harden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have hunted this and other sites but still can't get my new Philips 610 working properly.
    (A) I have downloaded their "fix" but when I tried to use it as per their instructions it seemed to work but after a while came up with the message WRONG DISC.
    (B) I have tried various cabling combinations advised on this and other sites to no avail. When I do get a decent picture, it over-rides all channels on my TV once I try to change channel. I get the DVD's picture, split into two or four rectangles and drifting; plus the sound from the selected channel. I have to switch off DVD machine or TV and on again to restore normal condition for TV viewing.
    My equipment is
    * NTL cable box (with two scart sockets & RF out)
    * Toshiba stereo TV with 2 scart sockets (fairly old)
    * Philips DVD recorder 610.
    Should I run the RF cable from the cable box to the DVD and on to the TV in addition to three scart leads (TV to DVD ; cable box to DVD ; cable box to TV)?
    Could it all be down to using old / cheap scart leads? I see worrying references to hugely expensive scart leads. I'm not looking for ultimate quality - just something that works adequately.
    Sorry this covers a lot of ground but I'm getting very frustrated at having to keep plugging everything back to the old VCR till I get moving to DVD. Any help much appreciated.

2. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scart route

NTL > 610 > TV

NTL > TV

RF Route:

Aerial > 610 > TV

3. Geoff Harden

Geoff Harden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for your prompt response.
    Do you mean the ordinary aerial into 610 DVDR or the (RF) feed from the NTL box?
    I have tried both. Do you think I should get new better scarts or a scart connector box (about £20 in Dixon's)??

I don't suppoe you happen to know anything about this wretched firmware fix that Philips offer???

Cheers,
    Geoff

4. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my aerial going direct to recorder - not sure why it would need to go through NTL tuner - might try it one day :)

i dont have 610, but i understand the update fixes clock problems - i do know that the update must be copied as an 'ISO Disk image' (you cant just copy it over) - Latest Nero can make disc image

your scart cables maybe old, but i dont see that being the problem - even the cheapest, cheap scarts should give you decent picture - beg, steal or borrow a couple just to eliminate this as 'the problem'

5. Geoff Harden

Geoff Harden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again.

I know I'm being thick. But I mean do I plug my ordinary roof aerial into the DVD rather than the "aeiral out" feed from ntl (which is RF isn't it?).

You may have hit the nail on the head about copying that fix. There was somethiing about not making a straight copy alright. Must have another look at that when I get home...

Cheers,
    Geoff

LATER: Hurrah! Copied the firmware again treating it as an ISO image and following exact intructions given by Philips and at least I have solved that problem.
    Still getting DVD over-riding all channels on TV though unless I switch TV or DVD off and on again. Maybe it's just something I have to live with???

6. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my ntl tuner has r/f (aerial) in & out - although i dont exactly know why - hence i skip it, & plug my roof aerial direct into my recorder, and then to TV

7. Geoff Harden

Geoff Harden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely that RF output gives you a better signal? And the terrestial channels seems to appear OK independently of the cable box. That's how I had it for my video recorder anyway...