1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

philips 6006 ps2 thru rgb very,very dark!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by joecool, May 19, 2002.

1. joecool

joecool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when i connect my ps2 to the rgb scart of my philips 32inch 6006 the picture is very,very dark and unplayable and i cannot alter it but my digibox thru rgb is perfect. any ideas?

2. rmg

rmg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry but it does.

Just got me replacement 286006 from hi-spek and it still has the same ghosting and buzzing using RGB input.

I have no idea why you cannot adjust the picture to make it brighter, you can adjust the RGB picture on my 28PW6006.

Interestingly the interference is almost invisible if you turn down the brightness but the buzzing is so annoying...

A few people on the forum have got decent 6006's but I say AVOID! Or at least test with RBG input first...

Im calling phillips customer support now...

0208 665 6350

Give em hell ;-)

--
    rmg.

PS - My digibox picture is also perfect, go figure!

PPS - Try another device with RGB and make sure it is still dark
    Try another RGB lead with your PS2
    Make sure the PS2 is outputting RGB (in settings)

3. RossG

RossG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I just received my 32PW6006 from Unbeatable and it is also very dark when EXT1 has and RGB input, in my case a Toshiba 510 DVD player. When I crank up the brightness I see the ghosting that other people have talked about on this forum.

Ross:mad:

4. doug2002

doug2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I got a Philips 28pw6006 yesterday. Very dark unusable RGB from my Samsung DVD player. If I turn up the brightness way too high I can see the rgb ghosting that has been mentioned in other threads. But no matter how I adjust it it is impossible to get a watchable picture. The DVD player works fine on other TV's.

Contacted the dealer I bought it from and they tried a shop display model with JVC and Sony DVD players. Again far too dark RGB.

Some people here have said that their DVD's on RGB are fine.
    What DVD players are you using? Just wondering if it is a make specific problem.

I'm not too sure to try another 6006 to see if I can get one which works properly with RGB or to give up on the model. Bad batch or just bad design! Although I have seen very dark RGB mentioned on other makes of televisions.

I phoned Philips Customer Service where the guy thought RGB brightness might be adjustable via Service Menu. Any ideas if he was right?

The 6006 has a lot going for it (the undocumented feature of being able to save differant picture setting for TV, Ext1 and Ext2 being an example) but unusable RGB makes it a no no for me. While the S-video picture is v. good it is not a patch on the RGB picture I got from the Panasonic TX28DK1 I replaced with the Philips.

The Panasonic had faults - geometry distortions with dark bottom/bright top scenes and an annoying intermittent hum but overall I think I could probably live with these to get it's suberb RGB pictures - rich smooth colours and pin sharp detailed pictures.

But a properly working RGB on the Philips would swing the balance towards the Philips. Mine has no geometry problems and is very quiet in use. Is there any way of distinguishing the good 6006's? I doubt it, but maybe Philips might know. Although whether they would admit it is another matter!

Cheers

Doug