Philips 5990 WMV support

davee b

Hi all

Can anyone owning this player confirm if it is capable of playing WMV files or not. If it can i'm surprised , as I don't know of any other decks that do support it. :)

wulfrun

I bought one of these today for £45 from an ex catalogue shop in the hope it would play Wmv files. And it does.

The manual says it will only play wmv's on cd and dvd +r discs and without fast forward or slowmo capability ,but this is nonsense . I burnt 2 data discs of wmv files on a dvd -r Verbatim and they play back great.

Not quite all Wmv files are supported. Mp43 files play back distorted and a wmv2 wouldn't play at all , but these are minority codecs. To find out the codec , play the file in WMP , click on file , then properties and the codec details will appear. Trial and error will tell you which are supported and which not.

Only quibble with the player is the menu not appearing during play, but to finally find a dvd player that means i wont have to keep converting wmv files to a playable format is bloody marvellous:)

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom