Philips 5960 or Samsung 870

jediuk

Standard Member
:) Ladies and Gents,

Is there anyone that can advise me what player i should buy out of these two. I dont have an HDMI upscaler but would like to get one. Currently my requirements are to upscale region 1 and 2 movies. and playing jpegs on datawrite DVD's.

Ideally multi regional and something that is able to play divx without problems.

Any ideas where i can find the cheapest of either, I am open to other recommendations but my budget it about £100.:smashin:

Thanks for your time.

davedoubledecks

Standard Member
Hi
I've got a Philips 5960 and i've found this dvd player excellent and would recomend this player.
Hope this helps
Dave

bobsters

Bear in mind the 5960 is now at the end of its life and is discontinued. On the other hand, the Samsung 870 is a new model :) The successor to the 5960 is the 5980 and should be out in early May.

JENeric

Owned the Phillips. Found it could not render dark scenes without loads of blocking and it's upscaling to be barely noticable.

jediuk

Standard Member
Thanks for your input uys, i think i will probably go for the Samsung which i can get for £65.

Just hope it works as good as a pioneer i used to have.

Peopleselbowpad

Just a note the new Samsung 870 is not as far as I know Multi-Region yet. Looks like a nice player, tempted myself once a hack is available.

jediuk

Standard Member

Peopleselbowpad

Quick search on Google and quite a few now selling it but most seem to be out of stock or 7-10 delivery which we know means the same thing.

zzzpt

Standard Member
How does the Samsung plays with divx/xvids ?
Is there any alternative firmware ?

I know that the philips has a very good firmware support ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom