Philips 5960 2 problems, anybody else had them?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by radical1, Sep 15, 2007.

1. radical1

radical1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Be ineterested to hear if anybody has issues with the following?

! - When reading a USB drive, the titles are not displayed properly. Even very short titles like "Lost 101" shows as Lo~1Jd or something like that? Whats up with that?

2 - Thru the HDMI occasionally the picture starts cutting out (only happended on USB so far) the I get colored snow on the screen, pulling out the HD cable and reinserting seems to sort (not the HD cable though as had it for ages and used in other devices). When the HDMI cuts to colored snow if I flick over to component the output is just fine.

2. bones`

bones`

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Don't mean to highjack the thread but I have just bought one of these and it won't read my creative muvo 1gb MP3 player. The Philips is USB 1.1 only and the Muvo is USB 2 but I always thought they were backwards compatible?

3. chris57

chris57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    @Radical
    Displaying long file names over USB is the one major improvement that would be most welcomed. Apparently it is possible but takes a tremendous amount of coding work. The reason why it wont ever come from Phillips is something to do with Microsoft owning licenesing rights to the joliet filename system and wanting royalties or some other similar problem.
    Not had the HDMI problem you refer to.

@bones
    The player is USB2.0 compatable with a USB1.1 port. It can read from portable devices but as the drive has to be primary partitioned and FAT formatted there can be incompatability problems with some. It does work with 3rd gen ipods but not 4th or 5th for example. Here's a list of good and bad USB pendrives/players:-
    http://www.phunkyfish.com/article/4/philips-dvp-596012
    email phunkyfish to add your player to the bad list to help out others.