Philips 5960/05 warnings before you buy.

choirboy

Just wanted to post that I recently got one of these from John Lewis and I wasn't impressed.

My machine had a glaring fault straight out the box, the sound kept glitching oddly when playing discs. This would have been perhaps understandable to an extent if playing DIVX or something as sometimes the files are badly encoded.
But it happened whilst playing DVD discs too.

The other problem I had with it was the extremely poor remote which is very uncomfortable in the hand, had small, fiddly buttons but worst of all had VERY poor range. Had to be practically in front of it seemingly to get it working, so those which their player and seating position at odd angles may need to bear this mind.

The drive seemed noisy too imo. Anyway returned it and bought a Sony DVPNS76H which I very happy with :) Superb player!

Btw, I updated the firmware to the latest on the Philips site just in case the sound glitching was a firmware issue but it didn't go away.

On the plus side I emailed Philips about the new firmware concerning packed bitstream support (and whether they removed it) and was told this:

"With regards to your query we can advise that packed bitstream support for Xvid has not been removed from the update to the DVP5960."

So that might be good news to some of you.

Anyway just wanted to share some thoughts, to those of you who have the Philips machine and like it then that's all good :)

hig

Standard Member
I have the same probs with the remote also..
Very bad signal strength from it, have to almost crawl over to the thing to get it to work....
Apart from that no other probs and quite happy with mine, found it a good player...
Although I do think the prob is with the unit and not the remote, cos I also have a Phillips Home cinema kit and the remote for that has dvd functions on it, and that remote works fine for the amp which is on the shelf under the dvd, but I also have the same probs using the amp remote for the DVD as I do the DVD remote...

philaitman

Novice Member
Just to add that apart from the remote being a weak. I have no problems with mine at all. Good PQ, good SQ, and plays everything I throw at it from disk or removable device via USB.
And for the price I don't think it's a bad deal at all.
Your heading is a be Daily Star sensationalist TBH.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom