Philips 58PUS8555 Lots of noise via Virgin TiVo box

brezzer79

Novice Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help? The picture on my new TV via Virgin HDMI is terrible in dark scenes. I dont see it this bad via the TV's own Netflix or in menus.

Check out the picture

Any advice?

Attachments

• IMG_20201018_102755.jpg
    IMG_20201018_102755.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 234
How high is your Sharpness setting on that particular input?
It should be set very low, 0 to 1, that does help mitigate noise a little, though sometimes it's just standard definition sources looking ropey, does it improve on HD channels?

How high is your Sharpness setting on that particular input?
It should be set very low, 0 to 1, that does help mitigate noise a little, though sometimes it's just standard definition sources looking ropey, does it improve on HD channels?
That photo was Sky News HD ! I even thought, could it be the HDMI? So i ordered a new one but it's not gone yet. But it probably is not the hdmi because i couldn't see that on my old 2016 Android Sony... so you know of decent picture settings for this model or similar? Thanks for your reply by the way....

That photo was Sky News HD ! I even thought, could it be the HDMI? So i ordered a new one but it's not gone yet. But it probably is not the hdmi because i couldn't see that on my old 2016 Android Sony... so you know of decent picture settings for this model or similar? Thanks for your reply by the way....
I haven't got that particular model but a general rule of thumb is ditch the Sharpness, I will say though that looks like old school snow instead of a dodgy hdmi, wish I could be more help.

Just took delivery of a 50pus8555 and I've noticed this exact thing from my Virgin TiVo box. All connections are good, found that switching the TiVo box off and back on resolves it. Had it happen twice over the weekend....

Just took delivery of a 50pus8555 and I've noticed this exact thing from my Virgin TiVo box. All connections are good, found that switching the TiVo box off and back on resolves it. Had it happen twice over the weekend....

Thanks for this. However, was watching Ratched on the built in Netflix last night. Episode 5 dark scenes were terrible! Lots of blockiness....I hope it's the picture settings and not the TV itself!

Thanks for this. However, was watching Ratched on the built in Netflix last night. Episode 5 dark scenes were terrible! Lots of blockiness....I hope it's the picture settings and not the TV itself!
Have you turned HDMI ultra hd to standard and also auto movie off for the HDMI port your using. They are found under settings > General settings > then the HDMI port that the vm box is connected to.
I have also changed colour gamut to normal rather than wide for that port.
Those seem to have improved virgin media for me.
I only tried as I too had seen the noise your talking about on virgin media. SO far those changes have helped me. Will report back if I see bad noise again.

Nope. Made no difference. Its back again on the BBC News. It only shows up in the studio scenes though. Strange.

Nope. Made no difference. Its back again on the BBC News. It only shows up in the studio scenes though. Strange.
so would you aay ignore your suggestions above? Was just gonna give them ago. I posted on here about similar problems on Netflix... sounds like it could just be the fault of the TV then!

so would you aay ignore your suggestions above? Was just gonna give them ago. I posted on here about similar problems on Netflix... sounds like it could just be the fault of the TV then!
Try them. My eyes are getting tired with all the peeking and you can get back to me if it makes a difference to you. It did seem better. Just how much better I have no idea now. Plusit would be good to get another eye on the problem and potential fixes.

Last edited:
@brezzer79 @mykyl66
Has anyone had any joy sorting the poor screen uniformity? My 50pus8555 now has really bad banding when using the Virgin TiVo box and native apps like Netflix, YouTube, Prime and Disney+.
I've noticed bright patches in all 4 corners when I turn the set on and dark scenes from most content look really bad.

I suddenly had bad banding and noticed that my brightness had gone up to 70. I put it back to 50 and the banding disappeared. Set it back to 70 and no banding. I think there are major issues with Philips software.

Returning my 50pus8555 this week in exchange for a Sony KD49XH9505. Just couldn't get a decent picture with any input and the constant loss of sound,freezing,re-booting was the final nail in the coffin. Bit disappointed as I really liked the ambilight but the overall picture from this set is absolutely shocking.
@brezzer79 @mykyl66 hope you guys have a bit more luck resolving the issues you're having.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom