Philips 58PUS8535

Richard Murcia

Novice Member
Interested in this tv (58pus8535) but a bit hesitant as i've had a Philips before (pus7150) and although the picture quality was great the android part was not (very slow and unusable) also remote control functions were very slow , i couldn't use it as a normal tv but as a monitor viewing through a sat receiver it was fine also had to do numerous unplugging of the mains lead as it crashed quite often
So just wondering if the newer sets have been improved if not i think i would steer clear.. I am also looking at the Hisense u7qf and wondered if that would be better.. Both have VA panels and the Hisense is FALD
Has anyone got this set that can comment on the following
Picture quality
Is the remote control fluid going through menus etc
Does the Android part function ok
Also what is the HDR and Dolby Vision like
Many thanks

Last edited:

AVtest

I think you answered your own question. u7qf is way forward.
Just keep in mind android performance greatly affected by hardware in tv which manufacturers hardly ever disclose. It quite annoys me that reviews from so called experts these days don't benchmark hardware. TV's these days are no different to phone or PC so technical specs should be listed. I think its only SONY who kinda sticks better hardware as they learned lesson hard way with their first android tv's.
Philips is pants with support and software updates, but software is usable as Android tv has been well improved over all years. And yes we still have to unplug tv to reset it :rotfl:
Buy tv based on panel and picture quality U7QF 700nits peak, FALD will beat this philips instantly. Whilst I am not keen on VIDAA OS, mi box S, shield, or firestick could quickly solve this issue. Plus you got far more chances to get more often updates and support from tv box manufacturer than philips tv.

Or you can wait for 2021 line xxx6 from philips. New hardware looks promising if philips has not lied to us.

Richard Murcia

Novice Member
Thank you AVtest for your advice
You are quite right of course that i think i answered my own question, i was always erring on the side of the Hisense for the higher nits and quantum dot, I wasn't fussed with the Vidda os as as you suggested i have Shield and various Android boxes i an use.. As i said the Philips i have (about 5/6 years old now) has a great picture but the hardware/software was never all that great which let it down badly, i vowed not to buy a Philips again unless they had improved a lot but it seems they haven't.. Have read lots on here about pic quality (of certain models) out of the box not being very good, whilst i know you would have to adjust settings for your own personal taste. I was also looking at TCL but they are few and far between where i live (Spain) so looks like it will be the Hisense, just have to decide on the 55 or 65, that was one of the good things about the Philips size of 58 as it was somewhere in the middle
Thanks again

markfawcett

U7QF is technically better on paper, but is supposed to have huge problems with motion.

At the price point these TVs sell at, you sometimes have to pick the lesser of two evils, and glitchy software would be way done the list for me.

My biggest bugbears with any TV are dirty screen effect and poor motion, both of which the Hisense is supposed to suffer with. Upscaling is supposed to be sub-standard as well, whilst it’s actually very good on the Philips.

Richard Murcia

Novice Member
U7QF is technically better on paper, but is supposed to have huge problems with motion.

At the price point these TVs sell at, you sometimes have to pick the lesser of two evils, and glitchy software would be way done the list for me.

My biggest bugbears with any TV are dirty screen effect and poor motion, both of which the Hisense is supposed to suffer with. Upscaling is supposed to be sub-standard as well, whilst it’s actually very good on the Philips.
I read the forum so i know about motion issues, i don't watch any sport so hopefully the issue will be limited for me..... but what is Dirty Screen effect?

vanjazz

Novice Member
Interested in this tv (58pus8535) but a bit hesitant as i've had a Philips before (pus7150) and although the picture quality was great the android part was not (very slow and unusable) also remote control functions were very slow , i couldn't use it as a normal tv but as a monitor viewing through a sat receiver it was fine also had to do numerous unplugging of the mains lead as it crashed quite often
So just wondering if the newer sets have been improved if not i think i would steer clear.. I am also looking at the Hisense u7qf and wondered if that would be better.. Both have VA panels and the Hisense is FALD
Has anyone got this set that can comment on the following
Picture quality
Is the remote control fluid going through menus etc
Does the Android part function ok
Also what is the HDR and Dolby Vision like
Many thanks
Hi there, I was shopping for TV recently, and similar as you, after reading bunch of forums, reviews and benchmarks, narrowed my choice down to Philips 50PUS8535, Hisense U7QF and TCL 50C715...
First off was TCL since it's relatively new brand in Europe with not much support and the biggest downsell for me was glitchy software, having to update firmware on almost a weekly basis, I simply wouldn't spend my money on a half-finished product, though it looks great, build qualify is great and on paper it looks really good.
Later I was deciding between Hisense and Philips, and after plenty of consideration went for Philips. Hisense looks ok, didn't like plastic case so much, QLED is cool, keep in mind that 700nits is kinda "short-burst" feature only, it can work for 15-20seconds then reverts to normal lighting conditions, and also, in real life scenarios you basically have no need for that. You won't almost ever have a need for such stronger light since that's basically only a brightest part of some explosion, for example, so figure how much of that kind of strong bright light are you actually going to see in a movie, series, tv show, etc, I guess couple of seconds on a tiny part of screen in a two hour movie, plus in that conditions your eye wouldn't be able to notice any difference, measurement devices can, but not a human eye...
Other thing, Philips has done superb job with their implementation of Android 9, I was looking specifically for Android TV, it definitely has one of the best if not the best, Android TV implementation, regarding functions, smooth operation and bugs, it works amazing.
Didn't care too much for Hisense's VIIDA, also, if you're spending cca.600euro you shouldn't calculate for a separate Android Box to go with TV, for that money that TV must have amazing Android/software out-of-the-box. Philips has done outstanding job an almost every aspect of this TV, I am using it daily for the past 8-10 weeks and the experience is amazing, I love it so much, whether using for SD/HD content, 4K, Dolby Vision/Atmos, Android implementation, richness of options in menus and the complete feel, superb build quality (all metal case, metal stand with swivel option), built-in Chromecast, and yeah, Ambilight is freaking awesome. Not to mention, Philips screen covers 90+ percent of color gamut.
Looking for weeks before buying, reading tons of reviews, my opinion is that companies are using plenty of stuff and technologies aimed to better market their product without actual improvement in a real world scenario and regarding improvements you can actually see with your eyes and subjectively better viewing experience.
One great thing is that Hisense was giving a 7-year warranty which was great, but Philips also had a promotion extending warranty to 5-years which was great for me.
So, to try to finish this, my recommendation goes for Philips, a BIG, BIG recommendation, I think it's amazing piece of Technology, a TV you can really enjoy with in a great viewing experience no matter the content you're watching. Hope this helps in your decision, good luck!

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom