Quantcast

Philips 55PUS8804 -- your experience and picture settings

veryfishysushi

Standard Member
Hey there AVForums users!

I recently purchased a new TV, the 55" PUS8804. It's my first 4K TV and a massive jump in quality from my Sony KDL50W755C, which was Full HD. I'm generally loving it so far. Picture's sharp, sound is great (I actually ditched my old soundbar, didn't need it, that's how good I think the sound is from the B&W built-in one). The one caveat I would say it has is the the 50 Hz panel, though I'm not sure yet, might be placebo.

I really want to become much more deliberate/conscious of how to take advantage of this TV and squeeze out all it's capable of in terms of picture quality. That said, there's barely anyone talking about it (there's a lot of new TV out there, I know, but still!) on the web and info on best picture settings is nowhere to be found, so I thought I'd ask here.

Do you own the PUS8804? What's your experience been like so far? What settings are you using for day/night/film/game and HDR variants thereof?

guile

Novice Member
I have a Philips 55" UHD smart TV and I love it! it took me months to get the calibration right but it's one amazing tv for the price and quality. you did good!

veryfishysushi

Standard Member
I have a Philips 55" UHD smart TV and I love it! it took me months to get the calibration right but it's one amazing tv for the price and quality. you did good!
I’m still in the process of finding the best settings, mostly for PS4 SDR and HDR gaming, and it’s a bit of a pain. I find the quality varies from game to game. Settings that work great for Uncharted 4 and really make the visuals pop make Resident Evil 2 Remake look waaay too white-ish and flat. These are both HDR games.

Were you calibrating yourself or used a guide/video guide?

guile

Novice Member
I too use it for my PS4 slim model and I did the settings myself and with some tips from users here in the forums. it's a pain to figure out just the right settings when you think you got it just right you see someone alittle off and have to go though the settings again and again after while it's annoying. but if you need and tips i'll help you out.

veryfishysushi

Standard Member
I too use it for my PS4 slim model and I did the settings myself and with some tips from users here in the forums. it's a pain to figure out just the right settings when you think you got it just right you see someone alittle off and have to go though the settings again and again after while it's annoying. but if you need and tips i'll help you out.
I would absolutely love the help! Yesterday I was fighting the HDR settings for Resident Evil 2 Remake so hard I forgot to eat dinner... :D Also got me very angry and sad that in HDR mode the game looked so much worse that in SDR. :(

I also noticed that depending on the scene (TV menu vs in-game, for example), the brightness or contrast of the TV changed? To the point the blacks became totally washed out. Wondering why this is happening. I have Dynamic Contrast off, so could it be Contrast Mode setting (currently set to Optimize for picture) causing this, or something else?

gamer82

Novice Member
looking to get a new tv in a few weeks as my hisenses needs binned, finally lol i came across this tv and was wondering if any of you guys that own it could do a wee video review on it.

also i know the new playstion system update has a new hdr feature that will help your tv get the best picture it can but i think games need to be patched by devs to benefit from it. check your settings to see.

gamer82

Novice Member
Hey there AVForums users!

I recently purchased a new TV, the 55" PUS8804. It's my first 4K TV and a massive jump in quality from my Sony KDL50W755C, which was Full HD. I'm generally loving it so far. Picture's sharp, sound is great (I actually ditched my old soundbar, didn't need it, that's how good I think the sound is from the B&W built-in one). The one caveat I would say it has is the the 50 Hz panel, though I'm not sure yet, might be placebo.

I really want to become much more deliberate/conscious of how to take advantage of this TV and squeeze out all it's capable of in terms of picture quality. That said, there's barely anyone talking about it (there's a lot of new TV out there, I know, but still!) on the web and info on best picture settings is nowhere to be found, so I thought I'd ask here.

Do you own the PUS8804? What's your experience been like so far? What settings are you using for day/night/film/game and HDR variants thereof?
richer sounds say the 8804 55" is 100hz panel and the 7349 is 50 hz .

veryfishysushi

Standard Member
richer sounds say the 8804 55" is 100hz panel and the 7349 is 50 hz .
I can definitely assure you that the panel I have in my 55PUS8804/12 is a 50 Hz one. Unless this is a country thing (I’m from Poland and all shops have this TV in all its sizes listed as a 50/60 Hz) or Philips releasing a revision of the model with a 100 Hz panel, then Richer Sounds might have an error in their listing. I also think that I read somewhere that only 2019’s OLEDs from Philips have a 100 Hz panel. You could try to inquire with then regarding this. If you do, please let us know what you found out.

looking to get a new tv in a few weeks as my hisenses needs binned, finally lol i came across this tv and was wondering if any of you guys that own it could do a wee video review on it.

also i know the new playstion system update has a new hdr feature that will help your tv get the best picture it can but i think games need to be patched by devs to benefit from it. check your settings to see.
You are correct about the PlayStation system update and HDR controls — games need to be patched in order to utilize them, however some games might be directly affected by these even without a patch, like No Man’s Sky, which becomes visually broken when you overtweak the settings. I don’t know about RE2 Remake, might have to check this out, actually.

As for a review, that might be hard to pull off, as this is my first 4K TV, so nothing to compare it to apart from a 4-year-old Full HD Bravia. I can try answer any questions you might have based on my experience with it so far, post pictures and maybe some clips of the TV in action recorded with my phone. Just let me know what you want to see specifically.

gamer82

Novice Member
Thanks for the reply, yes it does seem richer sounds have the wrong info on the site as the Philip's UK site says the hdmi are 60hz and doesn't mention 100hz . That was the only difference I could see on the website for the extra cost over the 7394.

Also came across this site and it mentioned it being 100hz panel as well .http://www.hdtv.com.pl/forum/philips/141461-philips-led-tv-pus8804-50-55-i-65-hdr-dolby-vision-hdr10-dzwiek-z-soundbara-2-1-i-android-pie-9-0-smart-tv.html

So I'm not sure where there 100hz panel info is coming from.

If you have the time would like to see how the Dolby vision performances and ps4 gaming on the set.

Last edited:

guile

Novice Member
I would absolutely love the help! Yesterday I was fighting the HDR settings for Resident Evil 2 Remake so hard I forgot to eat dinner... :D Also got me very angry and sad that in HDR mode the game looked so much worse that in SDR. :(

I also noticed that depending on the scene (TV menu vs in-game, for example), the brightness or contrast of the TV changed? To the point the blacks became totally washed out. Wondering why this is happening. I have Dynamic Contrast off, so could it be Contrast Mode setting (currently set to Optimize for picture) causing this, or something else?
The settings I use right now with the PS4, Backlight-28 Contrast -85 Brightness-60 Color-65 Tint-0 Sharpness-5 Dynamic Contrast-Maximum Color Enhancement-Off Black Stretch-Minimum 120 PMR-On Macro Dimming-Off Noise reduction-Off MPEG artifact reduction-Off everything else stays the same as the game preset. Everything about this TV from UHD movies to gaming looks fantastic. You just need the right settings. also make sure HDR is turned on as well as your HDMI set to 60hz + HDR

superdope

Novice Member
Hi, just got this TV and I'm really impressed by the looks, people who saw it asked if it was bang & olufsen, really looks different.

Now, about the settings - can anyone share their settings for calibration? So far I'm happy with it as I exclusively watch streaming services and Dolby vision on Netflix is truly stunning. I'm more concerned about regular HD quality, as HBO Go app is notoriously bad. If anyone could share their settings for that, I'd be grateful.

Also, Amazon Prime has a nasty bug where HDR10 looks overly dark and washed. Hopefully they'll fix it soon, it really looks disappointing.

As for the audio, I'm really satisfied with the sound (which was one of the main reasons I got this TV instead of "The One") so I was wondering if anyone knows is Dolby atmos automatically turned of? I leave the sound settings in "AI"

Thanks!

Purgatov

Novice Member
Hi yall.

Just bought the TV and registered here on AVforums. Estimated delivery time is on Monday so Im really keen on tuning it. Read the manual already from Philips online resource and it seems like there are sooo many options for tuning picture quality.. Wow. Not like 8 year ago when I got my last TV.

I think Ill try with your settings when Im fiddling around Guile. Thanks for the input!

Cant wait to get it set up!!
Cheers

How would this TV compare to a Samsung Q70r? I can only fit the 50 inch model in my room so both panels would be locked at 60 hertz.

my main concern is whether the Pus8804 has local dimming and whether it’s edge or fully lit -can’t find any of this information online.

deebo

I have the 50PUS8804, it is lit form the rear (Direct LED), not edge. it also has local dimming (Micro Dimming Pro). See here for spec:

iddimcid

Novice Member
Hey @acosminc - I have some settings but not proper calibrations and they are in my forum link;

I'm possibly having a bit of a problem with black levels - I would be very interested to know if you are having the same?

iddimcid

Novice Member
I am not having a good experience at the moment. When I watch a movie with lots of dark scenes, there are uneven lighter parts of the image. It's noticeable more when the room is dark.

Anyone else got this same issue?
DSC_0861.JPG
DSC_0924.JPG

iddimcid

Novice Member
Hi, I'm sorry I answered you so hard, unfortunately I don't have this problem, it seems ok to me. I currently do not find the favorite image settings :))
no problem acosmic. I couldn't get anyone on the forum to send me pictures so I sent the TV back and got a refund.

Happy you are doing good with your TV.

did you try these settings;

Settings are;
All features turned off
Colour 49
Contrast 85 but doesn't do much if I lower
Sharpness 0
Brightness 48
Video contrast 100
White point 2pt; Red - BL -2, Green - BL -4 Blue -6