Philips 55PUS7909 does not support 4k

jakab

Novice Member
I own a Philips 55PUS7909/12. However, I can only play 1080p, when I plug in a 4k resolution (three TV boxes, laptops, computers,...) there is no picture (random image appears and TV freezes). I have tried at least 10 HDMI cables (expensive 4k ones). I've also changed framerates. I've also factory reset it a few times.

I have talked with support and apparently the 55PUS7909 does not support "modern" 4K signal protocols, only basic UHD signals.

Since the android version of the TV is old, I cannot install modern apps, no youtube, no Netflix... so I am stuck with a 1080p TV, although it is a 4K 3D TV.
Ideally I would like to connect it to a PC and watch in 4k.

So my question is how do I convince the TV to display a 4K signal?
1. Is there any old HDMI cable I can try?
2. Can I convince my PC to send a compatible signal?
3. Can I convince the the TV to change protocol?
4. Is there any signal converter I can try (to "basic UDH")? What is the exact signal my TV supports?
5. Can I try any other video input (not HDMI), that could display the signal?
6. Is there perhaps only a motherboard damage and will it work if I replace the motherboard?
7. Can I upgrade the android software so I can at least install apps?

HAM5ter84

I own a Philips 55PUS7909/12. However, I can only play 1080p, when I plug in a 4k resolution (three TV boxes, laptops, computers,...) there is no picture (random image appears and TV freezes). I have tried at least 10 HDMI cables (expensive 4k ones). I've also changed framerates. I've also factory reset it a few times.

I have talked with support and apparently the 55PUS7909 does not support "modern" 4K signal protocols, only basic UHD signals.

Since the android version of the TV is old, I cannot install modern apps, no youtube, no Netflix... so I am stuck with a 1080p TV, although it is a 4K 3D TV.
Ideally I would like to connect it to a PC and watch in 4k.

So my question is how do I convince the TV to display a 4K signal?
1. Is there any old HDMI cable I can try?
2. Can I convince my PC to send a compatible signal?
3. Can I convince the the TV to change protocol?
4. Is there any signal converter I can try (to "basic UDH")? What is the exact signal my TV supports?
5. Can I try any other video input (not HDMI), that could display the signal?
6. Is there perhaps only a motherboard damage and will it work if I replace the motherboard?
7. Can I upgrade the android software so I can at least install apps?
Had a Google and did find a manual on what looks like an old Philips site. It does say 4k is listed and that you have hdmi 2.0 with arc.

This means you have a max of 4k at 60hz on the ports. You could connect a fire stick 4k, Roku Ultra or Android box for reasonable prices to get access to current or newer versions of android or fork in Amazon case. But, current apps like Prime, Netflix , Disney Plus +.

If there is issues with cables rated as hdmi 2.0 and you still have issues. Sounds like there is issues with the TV itself possibly. Hope this helps. The usb connections only allow 4k images to be displayed it seems, so no video. But, you should be able to connect to a pc and get 4k image, but assuming some form of hdcp would be needed, but if all busted and out of warranty than it would be a pro TV service company needed.

Darbo

Silly question but have you gone into hdmi settings, highlighted the 4k input and selected Advanced?
For some reason 4k hdmi inputs need to be set to 4k or they'll not play ball.

jakab

Novice Member
I don't think the cable is a problem, I've checked several. Also a 8K one with eARC. Could the cable be too good?

Sticks do not work on 4K.

@Darbo: there is no HDMI setting I can choose from. At least I cannot find it (and I've tried everything).

HAM5ter84

I don't think the cable is a problem, I've checked several. Also a 8K one with eARC. Could the cable be too good?

@Darbo: there is no HDMI setting I can choose from. At least I cannot find it (and I've tried everything).
What is the highest resolution available on the sticks and which ones have you tried. From the instruction I could find for the model it indicated the hdmi sockets were 2.0 variants , so would be 4k compatible. Have you got a screenshot of the plate on the back of the TV or link to the manual ?

Darbo

I've found the manual online and the only thing i can think of is although all four hdmi sockets are 2.0 only hdmi 1 is hdcp 2.2, maybe it has something to do with copy protection kicking in on the other inputs.
Other than that I'm at a loss I'm afraid.

HAM5ter84

I've found the manual online and the only thing i can think of is although all four hdmi sockets are 2.0 only hdmi 1 is hdcp 2.2, maybe it has something to do with copy protection kicking in on the other inputs.
Other than that I'm at a loss I'm afraid.
It is strange. I'd assume that all 4 ports would be hdcp 2.2, but apparantly not as 4k TV going back 2013 may not support 2.2 on all ports if it has 2.0 hdmi ports.

It would seem this could cause issue as hdmi 2.0 and 2.2 - hdcp is required for ultra HD 4k. It seems. If one port does support it though that should allow you see or access 2160 or up to 4k on a Firestick or other device in theory.

Without knowing when you brought the TV, but it looks pre the spin off by Philips of its TVs to partners in the US and UK.

HAM5ter84

Hi, just one idea, I know if you search the playstore there will be DRM apps allowing you to work out what hdcp standards and other DRM the TV supports. Hope this helps.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom