Philips 55PUS7303 LED 4K TV Preview

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by Steve Withers, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,043
    2. md1985

md1985
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2
      If this is a vr panel and is backlit with local dimming does this mean this is full array local dimming?

If not how does the dimming compare to the model they brought out in 2010 when they had dimming clusters/zones? I think the 40PFL9705H had this. I think that model was backlit not edge lit. If not then i think it was the 2009 high end models that had this.
      In fact I would love to see a comparison between the old and the new models to see how much things have really changed.
      Just a comparison of all 43 inch tvs could be useful as its so difficult to choose.

3. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      I received my 43" version of this set from Amazon yesterday. Don't know specifics about the panel or what technology is going on behind the scenes, but can still relay my experiences here... (anyone know a way of telling for sure if it is VA or IPS? I think the 43" may still have IPS, so my observations might not be relevant for the bigger sizes.)

Initially was super impressed! It seemed like a great choice, same great picture as my 32" 9705 (which I am only replacing for extra size and 4k HDR etc) and familiar enough setting options. World Cup football and daytime TV looked very good indeed via the easily tuned-in HD TV channels. No problems with uniformity or dead pixels or any of the usual LCD fears...

So, relief and joy combined, to begin with. What I did start to notice more and more as I tried watching Blu-rays and dark films from any source, was the black levels. In fairness, may well be an acceptable amount of "greyness" compared to other LCD TVs out there, though not sure, but is a really noticeable step down from the 9705... Brought back a lot of memories of owning older LCDs prior to having the 9705. Days of constantly adjusting brightness and gamma etc, never being able to get an OK black without sacrificing elsewhere. I had legit forgotten about this issue! Got complacent owning (and loving) the 9705 for so long, subconsciously considered this a thing of the past.

The other thing is the screen is extremely reflective. I didn't notice that at first either, but then depending on whether I had the light on, or what was around me as I watched, it became more and more of an annoyance. But of course, only an annoyance, not a big deal. The black level is the main thing I am concerned with. Just want to mention these things for any potential owners, and again, may get the same issues with other manufacturer's sets, this is not an attack on Philips.

So, normal TV viewing is fine and I am half happy, but now regret not researching further. I thought the fact this TV has processing from high up the range meant that it would not have any significant shortcomings (despite not being premium cutting edge OLED or whatever, I was happy to accept the same level of black as on my old 9705.)

Again, seems like a great TV in lots of ways, I don't want to be a big complainer, will have more time with it today (so I can find more flaws! I'm kidding.) If the VA panels in the bigger versions help cancel out the lack of "black fixing" tech in the range, then those sets might actually be formidable. I will be trying some 4K HDR material out properly later today too, so will see if there are any differences/improvements there (obviously I know about the resolution improvements etc! Talking about black level again.) Haven't really tried adjusting options which only appear when you have certain 4K material, including options on my Blu-ray player. Can maybe find some slight workarounds.

4. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Had over a week with this TV now... Some additional thoughts/observations:

Black level seems more reasonable if you have dynamic contrast on maximum. Never used dynamic contrast on previous Philips set as it changed picture in a negative way (blowing out bright colours and could sometimes see processing shifts from dark/light.) Mostly watching Netflix and Blu now etc, especially in 4K, seems to be OK though. Dark areas seem decently black when there are bright images elsewhere on the screen, just less so when the screen is mostly black (especially with the black borders, when present.) So, for the most part, with the correct settings, can get black level reasonable, though again, not as good as on the 9705 and have to compromise by using certain pic modes which change other factors.

So overall, I am getting over the black level thing. That said, it will always come back to haunt when watching a primarily dark movie, but it can be mitigated and most viewing won't be an issue.

Let me be positive before I get negative again... Awesome picture for most sources. Like, daytime TV and football are both great. Most things on Netflix or FireTV look great (especially the 4K stuff on FireTV.) You have to turn off the motion settings for football, as there will be noticeable stuttering of the ball here and there otherwise. But medium natural motion is fine for most other things... I am used to how that looks and I like it.

Slight negatives again (heh!) there are lip-sync issues with the in-built apps. Like, things on Netflix will sometimes be out of sync, but not always by the same amount. Some things seem watchable, but others are badly out. I have found that using the digital audio out from the TV in to my amp remedies this (or seems to) so I have been watching things that way, or through Xbox instead (lip-sync fine on Xbox Netflix.)

Also there is a high-pitched noise coming from the TV if you listen closely... Not hugely loud, but is annoying once you notice it. Then after a while you get used to it and forget it, then a day or so later you notice it again... I know! This would be considered crazy nit-picking by some, but just telling you my experiences.

I am happy overall and trying to just get over the shortcomings and move on.

Oh but whilst I remember... HDR sources look washed-out. There are few things to test this further with, most of my viewing isn't HDR anyway, but when I've tested it, I've found it looks dull compared to regular HD (or regular 4K) After reading up on it, may be due to the lack of contrast range or general brightness limitations of the TV. But don't know if something is set wrong from the source. I will investigate further. I bought Kingsman in 4K HDR to watch, but found the regular Blu looked much brighter and more colourful.

5. Mane UK

Mane UK

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +15
      Thanks, that is all very interesting - all your observations are valid and useful, not nitpicking at all!

HDR stuff should have a greater colour volume than regular - however, it is possible the set has some sort of dynamic HDR mode for regular, which would remap the colours from regular (rec.709 content) to the full display range of the TV. This would make it more vibrant, when the HDR content is effectively scaled down from rec.2020 (which is greater than the colours any tv can display right now) but has a proper map built into HDR10 processing.
      Sorry, waffling - it's possible that hdr is giving you 'natural' colours mapped well, but they look subdued compared to 'enhanced' colours of regular content.

There are test cards on Netflix and YouTube which might help you.

6. IceskatingUphill

IceskatingUphill
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      Have you been able to work out if it’s IPS or VA yet?

I’m looking for a good quality (with hopefully passable HDR!) 43” TV. I can’t get my wife to approve anything larger than this for aesthetical reasons! I’m finding it really hard to find a good 40 or 43” option out there.

7. md1985

md1985
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2
      Im in exactly the same position. Its so frustrating the lack of reviews on tv's in this size. Techradar did a preview in January and then never reviewed the range. For some reason this size seems to be written off as too small and everyone should just go for 50" plus as apparently 50" is now considered small?
      My dad recently went from a 46" Pany G20 plasma to the Lg 55" b/c7 oled and what already looked big is now humongous.

Problem is now seeing this 43" on sale on amazon prime at £413 im so tempted. I just dont want to buy and then think that my samsung 37d6530 is much different when viewing fhd.

8. IceskatingUphill

IceskatingUphill
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      I’m really tempted, it’s a great discount for a newly released TV, but a) I’d rather buy from Richer Sounds or John Lewis, ideally, and get some kind of decent warranty, and b) I just don’t know enough about the TV.

It looks great, but it worries me that only Amazon seems to stock it and there are no reviews. I’m guessing it’s not selling that well I’d it’s 30% off? I think I’ll hold fire until Black Friday and hope there’s more information out there..

9. TheCrazy

TheCrazy
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Well there's one dude in here that has it, and he makes it seem like absolute sh*t. Crap blacks and lip sync issues. I wanted this TV as well, but I don't know.

10. md1985

md1985
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2
      I think this is probably the way to go but im still not convinced we will see reviews on it in the next 3 months or so. There seems to be a major lack of interest in reviewing anything thats not oled or qled equivalent. We get the occasional review on mid range but not many.

I wouldnt go as far as that. He said black were not as good as he hoped but still reasonable and that lip sync issues were resolved when streaming stuff through an external source which is what i would be doing anyway. I use my ps4 for netflix.

11. IceskatingUphill

IceskatingUphill
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      And those blacks are *probably* just a symptom of an IPS panel and will likely be common to many. Assuming it is IPS!

I just wonder if a more mainstream TV, stocked by more places, will get better support in the long run. Especially if it’s from a retailer with a good warranty.

12. TheCrazy

TheCrazy
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      I guess the lip sync could be for many different reasons, but if its not in sync when streaming from the tv to the TV speakers, that is really bad I think. If the delay is some issue with the reciever, that's another thing.

I feel tempted to get this, but I am uncertain, and also wondering why is a new tv like this on sale so soon?

13. Mane UK

Mane UK

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +15
      Philips do tend to support their TVs for a decent time.
      There have been issues with UK firmware updates on android sets this year - something about nougat certification of UK broadcaster apps. But again, android isn't going to disappear, expect it to be getting new apps and updates for a while.
      I'd still expect better support from Phillips than I would from most TV manufacturers in the mid-range - you can find consumer horror stories about them, or anyone, on the internet of course.

Amazon are a reputable retailer, with very good customer service, and are not likely to be going out of business any time soon.
      Standard UK consumer law covers you against faults for a period of six years from point of purchase.

To me this looks like a great value TV set - although I have seen Panasonic EX750b on clearance for under £400 which would be worth considering.

14. TheCrazy

TheCrazy
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Yeah, true, not worried about Amazon. They are ridiculously good when it comes to customer service. They are taking my TV back, but if I want to wait till later in the year, they would still take it back.

I need to decide soon, if I just hang onto the TV till later in the year, or return it and get one of these deals. This Philips TV seems like a great deal. I guess you're not really going to get a brand new mid level TV for cheaper than this are you?

15. md1985

md1985
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2
      I'd have thought its unlikely, I took the plunge and bought the 43" version. When you say they would still take it back later in the year, is that after using it and just deciding you no longer want it despite nothing actually being wrong with it?
      I did actually email Philips to ask if it is a VA or IPS panel after I had bought it thinking i could send it back if it was IPS as i want a VA for better blacks. I didnt get a good answer. They responded with
      "To be honest, we didn't receive any information about type of panels, so I it is hard to tell which models are VA and which are IPS"

I told them i wasnt impressed. How can they produce a tv when they dont even know what type of panel it is? I know they now get their panels from LG but still.

16. Julian71

Julian71
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2
      Not sure if you have found out one way or the other by now, but I have a VA type panel (50pus6272) and you have only have to move off centre a little bit and becomes more washed out than expected, IPS panels are supposed to be better when viewing on an angle.