Answered Philips 55PUS7303/12 Calibration (I'm lost)

iralecs

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I'm the new owner of a Philips 55PUS7303/12 and I feel like I'm in way over my head. We just got the TV yesterday, and from the way it it's factory set it up, I can't say it really looks that good, but I know that's partly my fault.

4k seems pixelated, my PS4 doesn't look that well either, and from what I've seen in showrooms and read through hundreds of reviews, it's not the TV's fault, it's mine.

What should I do to improve the PQ? Does anybody have a list of settings to be used with them? Or anything really since I haven't found much on my own.

I really like how the TV looks, but my wife is thinking about returning it because of the bad PQ, so please, if you can, help spare me from a long drive back to the store (we live in a remote area).

Thank you and have a great day!

I agree mate.

Stick it in Monitor mode, Contrast at 60, colour 50, brightness 50, gamma 0 and everything else off.
It looks amazing.

However, you can't adjust colour temperature in Monitor mode. But it shows you how good it is when you can defeat Philips added sharpening or dithering whatever it is.
I think it may be adding dithering to try and give the impression of a 10 bit panel. I would prefer it didn't bother.

A quick couple of nasty screen shots show it in monitor mode with no dithering...
IMG_5542.jpg

And then in any of the presets such as ISF, Movie etc. etc. This is with all enhancements off as well...
IMG_5544.jpg

Philips need to have an option to turn this off!

Thanks for that, the second picture is literally how Netflix looked last night, which was a tad bit disappointing. I'll try to check what you wrote in this thread and the other one as well.

Hi Both,
I need help with this too! I’ve got the 43incher and so far have spent hours trying to make it look good. I think I’m slowly making progress. Freeview HD channels don’t look as good as my 20 year old Panasonic....just like the 2nd picture you’ve posted. So far if I turn most things off eg dynamic contrast, sharpness etc but add in a bit of noise reduction then it looks better but still not great. Monitor mode is greyed out.
Another thing. My original Xbox one (non 4K or HDR) connected via HDMI looks bad - like an old analogue signal used to look with ghosting and halos around text particulary. The Xbox DOES however allow me to use monitor mode and the picture is MUCH better BUT colours are WAY too saturated and it’s too dark but the colours and brightness settings are all greyed out so I can’t adjust them!
Any help much appreciated! Cheers.

OK, here are my settings for the 43" 7303...

PERSONAL (will probably copy these to ISF and then lock them down)
Colour 50
Contrast 85
Sharpness 2 (I know, but if I am going to have the dither I may as well have more pop)
Brightness 50

Custom RGB
High
Red 127 Green 85 Blue 71
Low
Red +2 Green +3 Blue-2

Video Contrast 70

Gamma -3 (This has made all the difference, this is pretty much matching my calibrated OLED which is calibrated to gamma 2.3-2.4. Which make me think 0 on this set is around 2.4 and -4 is around 2.2 with +4 around 2.6)

Picture Clean settings are both set to Minimum.

Motion is MOVIE.

Last edited:
I should just add, the top of end of the image is still too bright, almost as if there is too much luminance in the RGB from around 90 ire.

Maybe the contrast and video contrast need a bit of playing around with?

Thanks gizlaroc I’ll give those settings a go!
Why do you need to lock them down to ISF? Will they not be saved in the PERSONAL setting?
Also I have managed to adjust the colour in monitor mode from 65 down to 50 (which is now too low!) but I’m not entirely sure how and I now can’t change it again!!!! I THINK that I adjusted it in PERSONAL mode and then switched to MONITOR mode and the PERSONAL settings seem to have copied over to the MONITOR mode. But when I try and repeat it with different settings, they won’t change again in MONITOR mode and remain on those other settings!!??? Any ideas? Cheers

Have you got a PC going into it?
Sometimes with PC signals if you output RGB you can't adjust colour.

I just meant, if I copy those to ISF Night I can then lock the preset.

Press 473473 and it locks it.

You can then select it with any other input.

Have you got a PC going into it?
Sometimes with PC signals if you output RGB you can't adjust colour.
It’s the original Xbox One. Come to think of it I think there is a setting on the Xbox that outputs RGB....maybe the Xbox is set to that - I do remember fiddling with it.....

Thank you so much gizlaroc for your opinion, I used your settings from that other thread and it's miles better than how it looked before.

Would you so kindly tell us again about the locking them down? I made all those changes in ISF Day, do I need to copy them to personal/isf night and then tap on "473473" numbers on the remote control to save them?

Or do I just let them there and select isf day when I'm not in gaming mode for my ps4? Do you just use these for every instance you use the TV?

Thank you again, it helped a lot.

*I'd like to mention I have both a laptop and the ps4 always connected to it through HDMI, should I do anything differently than what I wrote above so I can save them?

PERSONAL is the only setting that is input dependant, buy that I mean, if you set up say MOVIE while watching Sky on say HDMI 1, and then switch to your AppleTV on HDMI 2 and mess around with MOVIE it will change it across all inputs.

Do it under personal and it only changes the settings for that input.

ISF DAY and NIGHT can look exactly the same as the other inputs.
Once you have set them up, if you press "473473" on the remote the little padlock will lock it down, so others can't mess around with the settings.

It just gives you a good reference point to always fall back on.

For the PS4 etc. just use Game mode or Monitor mode. Far less lag.

Colour 50
Contrast 85
Sharpness 2 (I know, but if I am going to have the dither I may as well have more pop)
Brightness 50

Custom RGB
High
Red 127 Green 85 Blue 71
Low
Red +2 Green +3 Blue-2

Video Contrast 70

Gamma -3 (This has made all the difference, this is pretty much matching my calibrated OLED which is calibrated to gamma 2.3-2.4. Which make me think 0 on this set is around 2.4 and -4 is around 2.2 with +4 around 2.6)

Picture Clean settings are both set to Minimum.

Motion is MOVIE.

Many thanks for these settings. If I had to rely on the preset picture modes the set would have been returned. But with your values I'm much happier with the picture.

The blacks are a little lacking but it's only apparent with black bar content and Ambilight may help mask the issue. Plus, what can I expect with a £419 set?

It's a keeper.

Last edited:
Yeah, thank you for the settings indeed, it's a keeper here as well. For me only the brightness should be a bit more popping, the picture seems a little bland, so I'm gonna play around that when I get the time, for now I'm happy with it, compared to how it came from the factory it's miles better.

Question though, why do "we" hate all those internal functions it has? Like all the little technologies Philips implemented but we turned off? I didn't have the time to really test what Philips has, but from my past TV experiences and forum discussions, almost everybody always turns these off. Do they really not add nothing to the quality?

gizlaroc thank you for those settings! They have drastically improved the picture.
It did look slightly warm on my TV so I just turned the red down to 120 (but maybe I’m just used to cooler screens). Agree that turning the gamma down made a massive difference. I have turned the HDR upscaling back on and the sharpness back down to zero but I think this is just down to personal preference.

I still can’t work out MONITOR mode though. The picture is SO much “cleaner” for my Xbox one BUT all the colour/brightness etc settings are greyed out so I can’t adjust them! I have DEFINITELY managed to do it before - I think I adjusted them in PERSONAL and then when I switched to MONITOR the settings were retained in MONITOR mode. But for some reason I can’t seem to do it again (all I need to do is tweak the colour down a bit). Can anyone help?!

What signal is being output from the xbox?

Set to 1080p and YUV if you can, then I bet you can change the settings.

If you go to RGB 4:4:4 they probably will be greyed out.
You may be able to select YUV 4:2:0, that would probably allow you t change settings too.

I don't have an xbox so don't know, but I would imaging you can change it somewhere manually.

Yeah, thank you for the settings indeed, it's a keeper here as well. For me only the brightness should be a bit more popping, the picture seems a little bland, so I'm gonna play around that when I get the time, for now I'm happy with it, compared to how it came from the factory it's miles better.

I concur. If you find a tweak that injects a bit more colour please post back here.

Or maybe gizlaroc can suggest which setting/settings we could try playing with to achieve this?

Well the obvious answer is to raise the Video Contrast.

The issue is the Darker parts of the image are fine, well they are when you set it to gamma -2 or actually -3 ~(something between would be ideal) but the brighter parts of the image the gamma is too low. Lower is brighter by the way, which I am sure you all know.
So when you get studio shots or bright outdoor scenes peoples faces, bald heads etc. stand out far too much.
Combine this with the added processing from the P5 chip which is adding dither and some sort of edge and contrast enhancement, and it stands out like a sore thumb.
I normally have video contrast on 100, I do on the 6703, but on the 7303 it just exaggerates the above too much.

But try it.

If you drop the Contrast you are dropping the backlight, it is subtle however, but try Video Contrast at 100 and drop the Contrast to say 65 and see how that looks?
This will improve black levels, however, some of that detail you have retrieved by setting gamma to -3 might be lost again.

But give it a go.

I think playing with these settings are better than turning on HDR Upscaling etc. Problem with settings like that is they are not linear, get it looking good for one show and the next skin tones etc. can look really weird.

What signal is being output from the xbox?

Set to 1080p and YUV if you can, then I bet you can change the settings.

If you go to RGB 4:4:4 they probably will be greyed out.
You may be able to select YUV 4:2:0, that would probably allow you t change settings too.

I don't have an xbox so don't know, but I would imaging you can change it somewhere manually.

Hi, I have the Xbox set to 1080p. The only other settings are Colour depth (24/30/36 bits) - I’ve tried them all and can’t see any difference - and Colour Space either “Standard (Recommended)” or “PC RGB”. I’ve tried both and they’re pretty much the same. None of these settings allow me to change the colour/brightness/sharpness in MONITOR mode (they are greyed out). Contrast is not greyed out and I can change it ok. I am certain I have managed to change the colour setting but cannot for the life of me remember how.....I THINK I changed it in another mode and then it was somehow copied over to MONITOR mode but I’ve tried redoing it but colour is stuck on 50!!

I don't even see colour on the 6703.

There is contrast, colour temperature, which I couldn't change on my 7303 and that is it.

I finally managed to get contrast look good on my 50'' version. I came across a particular bad scene with faces very washed out due to direct light, so settings above were a good starting point, and I ended up with this:

Contrast 70

Advanced contrast settings
Contrast mode: off
HDR upscaling: off
Dynamic contrast: minimum (!)
Video Contrast: 65
Gamma: -3
Light sensor: off

What really made a difference is dynamic contrast. In order to solve washed out highlights I needed to bring contrast/video contrast that much down, so everything looked quite dim and not really watchable, but minimum dynamic contrast brought everything back up nicely.

Main contrast can potentially go higher that 70 without causing highlights issues, but I felt that regular pure whites were too white (like in fire stick menus).

Just for those who do use fire stick 4k - make sure you set it as adaptive HDR, otherwise you will have almost no control over brightness in HDR mode even when regular source is playing or in the menus and everything will look quite dim.

Colour 50
Contrast 85
Brightness 50

Custom RGB
High
Red 127 Green 85 Blue 71
Low
Red +2 Green +3 Blue-2

Video Contrast 70

Motion is MOVIE.
Hi, I'm new here and this is my first post.

I can't do anything with the RGB settings on my TV, is there something I need to do to access them?

Chose CUSTOM and you get a menu appear underneath.

I see it but it's greyed out for some reason and I can't select the options?
Thanks for your setting btw the ones I've managed to do have improved the picture massively

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom