Philips 55PUS6703 - Motion problem

Just wondering if anyone else on the newer firmware is having problems with All4? Had this months ago where you try to launch All4 via the shortcut, the logo appears for a second, then it just goes back to the TV/HDMI or whatever you were watching before. Can't get it to work via the EPG either.
I had that from day one, actually started working properly after the update so the opposite of what you're having.
The workaround was going to one of the 4 channels and using that to get to all4, it worked fine from there.
Edit, just noticed that doesn't work either... Sorry bud.

Anybody had any experience with customer services? Two lines running the length of my tv have appeared today, definite hardware fault, I've only had the tv a year so it'll still be in warranty, just wondered if I'm in for a fight or not...

Has Ambilight+Hue stopped working for anyone since the firmware update that fixed the motion?

Funnily enough, and I dont know how I didnt notice, but mine was off too, despite being "on" in the settings. Just went into the settings, moved off then back on to "follow video" and back it came.

Funnily enough, and I dont know how I didnt notice, but mine was off too, despite being "on" in the settings. Just went into the settings, moved off then back on to "follow video" and back it came.

I had to reset configuration but all done now.

Just bought 65pus6703 and noticed the judder and framedrops also.
Looks like the panel is working in 60Hz mode with 24Hz input so it does 2:3 pulldown. So the panel is not running @48Hz or 72Hz with 24Hz input but 60Hz.

Here is slowmo video recorded 240fps, so you see every other frame is displayed longer.

Source for video is youtube played with nvidia shield, output set 24Hz and TV in game mode

Even with my old 2008 sony kdl4000w with true cinema it displays 24p properly (its not interpolation but maybe sets screen to 48Hz)

I'm sensitive for 2:3 judder, but maybe I get used to it.

More I'm concerned about dropped frames I had in custom mode with motion off. Need to test more the game mode.

Last edited:
^^ did you try cinema motion setting if it does something diffrently? Or user and all off

Cinema motion and user all off it is the same, so there is 2:3 pulldown for 24p content. Also resolution does not affect this.
Panel seems to be only 50Hz/60Hz.

Game mode works fine with 50p content @50Hz, no frame drops or stuttering, it is butter smooth. If using custom setting and motion off, it stutters every now and then

For 24p content game mode works better with 24Hz or 59.94Hz, with 60Hz it gets framedrops and is stuttering occasionally. Judder from 2:3 pulldown can be reduced by setting motion to minimum, no visible artefacts, but it gives SOA. 24Hz or 59.94Hz works better than 60Hz also when motion enabled, exact 60Hz it stutters.

And here's photo of the rtings 24p test video with 1 second exposure. Tv in game mode @1080p24

IMG_20201104_220904.jpg

It looks like there's a big update suddenly: https://www.download.p4c.philips.com/files/5/55pus6703_12/55pus6703_12_fhi_pol.pdf

TPM186E_018.005.058.001
(Date published: 2021-02-22)
• Image blinks sporadically during HDR content playback from HDMI source.
• General Stability improvement.
• Mesh WIFI network connection issue.
• Power on no image issue.
• Sound settings not retained after standby cycle
• 3rd_rw partition full due to MDS and DLNA Data
• More stringent playback control on Video content encoded with proprietary codec.
• Update DP client to v7.0.2.

Please update the demo video after the software upgrade.
1) Download the zip file from the link : Box
2) Extract the “update_demo.pkg” file to a USB drive root folder.
3) Connect the USB drive to TV side USB port, remove and reconnect the AC Mains power to TV set.
4) TV will show “software upgrade in progress”for about 3 minutes before it starts up normally.

Power on no image issue

Well I wasn’t expecting this! I get this issue once or twice a week now and I was considering buying a new TV. Fingers crossed this sorts it!

I wouldn't hold my breath.
There are 8 fixes mentioned, and zero reference to motion judder :-(

I wouldn't hold my breath.
There are 8 fixes mentioned, and zero reference to motion judder :-(

I have everything set to Game mode these days and don’t use the built in apps, I don’t see the image judder like I used to.

The two I’ve had recently are powering on into a black screen and random crashes when changing input source.

I’ll install now and see how it is.

There's still judder on YouTube app, and there's no way to select Game picture mode in app.
It was a good idea to buy Shield TV Pro for Smart apps and 4K HDR on DLNA because Philips can't handle it without hiccups. ;)

There's still judder on YouTube app, and there's no way to select Game picture mode in app.
It was a good idea to buy Shield TV Pro for Smart apps and 4K HDR on DLNA because Philips can't handle it without hiccups. ;)
Ah I don’t use the apps. I’ll use everything on my Xbox.

Updatewise, menus seem a little bit faster. Still laggy and poor, but not as laggy or poor. Man I wish they had put Android on this TV

Ah I don’t use the apps. I’ll use everything on my Xbox.

Updatewise, menus seem a little bit faster. Still laggy and poor, but not as laggy or poor. Man I wish they had put Android on this TV
I am the same. I don't use the built in apps at all.

Just out of interest. What picture settings to people use? I have been using a mixture of different settings people have posted in the past and I am quite happy with the results. Assassin's Creed Origins looks very good indeed.

Attachments

• IMG_20210216_174716.jpg
    IMG_20210216_174716.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 115
I have most PP turned off and have a warm image for my games.

After a few days with the update, the menus have gone back to being super laggy. But I haven't had any random restarts or powering up into a black screen. So there's that I suppose.

I love Ambilight, but man I hate Saphi so damn much. It's straight up the worst SmartTV OS I've ever used.

Just a random update to this thread. I've not had the motion issues for a very long time now, although I have had the super laggy menus (especially when changing input sources).

I've sussed it. If you disconnect from Wifi and disable the Wifi in the settings, the menus are super responsive again. I also don't see the ambilight ad in the menu anymore.

I don't know if the lag is due to it recording clicks for analytics or loading in ads / calling home etc, but with Wifi off the speed is great.

Just a random update to this thread. I've not had the motion issues for a very long time now, although I have had the super laggy menus (especially when changing input sources).

I've sussed it. If you disconnect from Wifi and disable the Wifi in the settings, the menus are super responsive again. I also don't see the ambilight ad in the menu anymore.

I don't know if the lag is due to it recording clicks for analytics or loading in ads / calling home etc, but with Wifi off the speed is great.
I agree. The menus can be painful. This TV has gone upstairs now and I have a PUS8556. Beautiful TV

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom