Philips 55PUS6703 - Motion problem

New firmware installed and looking good so far (at least in game mode). Didn't have to cycle the picture settings and ticker looks fine on sky news. No live football to test it on at the minute.
Tonight will be the real test for me as always had problems when watching The Chase so fingers crossed.

Hello. I've been following this thread from it's beginning, but registered just a sec ago to leave a reply.
I installed this latest firmware update version 018.005.007.001 on my 55PUS6703/12.
For now update is available only via OTA from TV settings.

It looks like stuttering is finally gone, after my 1.5 year struggling with this.
I've tested external sources via HDMI (1080p, 720p and 4K) and internal sources like DLNA (1080p, 720p, 4K) and Youtube/Netflix. It looks like everything is fine now. At last. :) No more Monitor mode or Game Mode. :) Tested on Personal picture setting.

Here's changelist: https://www.download.p4c.philips.com/files/5/55pus6703_12/55pus6703_12_fhi_pol.pdf
TPM186E_018.005.007.001 (Date published: 2020-03-24)
•Home/setup menuhang up/freezing issue.
•Game mode picture style setting not retained after waking up from standby issue.
•PatheApp Trailer playback freezing issue.
•Further improvement on Netflix error TVQ-PM-100 issue.
•Improvement on smart TV connection issue.
•TV switches sources unexpectedly with multiple HDMI CEC devices connectedissue.

Strange thing is that they only mention not remembering Game Mode setting after waking up from standby. No word about screen stuttering.

EDIT:
Did some more testing day after update. Unfortunately stuttering STILL EXISTS...
But, remembering Game Mode setting after tv reboot is fixed. It looks like it's ONLY fix of stuttering...
Tested on HDMI source - Set Top Box @ 1080p.

Here's a slo-mo movie with stuttering @ newest firmware:
Visible between 10-19 sec - look at word KOREA under DZIŚ WYLĄDOWAŁ

Here's a slo-mo movie without stuttering @ newest firmware @ Game Mode setting after reboot:

Last edited:
If you can make some tests with the built in apps, would be wonderful !

The update when sticking with game mode seems fixed. I have some recorded football from by sport that would always trigger the stutter but it was fine.

I haven't tested any of the inbuilt apps yet. I'm hoping those haven't messed up as it was working perfectly for me before this update.

I can live with having to use Game mode. Not completely satisfactory as all modes should work, but hey ho! Still a great TV.

Well seeing as the patch notes said they fixed hdmi-cec I thought I'd give it a go, nope, still randomly turns my amp off, changes the audio channel to tv instead of ps4/blu ray/ set top box and decides that my small cinema speakers are large stereo speakers and changes the amp settings accordingly...didn't even know tv's could do that.

I can live with having to use Game mode. Not completely satisfactory as all modes should work, but hey ho! Still a great TV.

I feel the same, just glad I don't have to cycle on switch on.
Game mode is great anyway once you get the settings like you want. Can certainly live with this, great TV for the money I paid.
Just hope the rest of you guys eventually get the patch/fix that you need.

Yeah, Game Mode is still OK. At least wo do not have to switch picture mode 7 times during every power-on or switching sources. BUT I wonder what setting is (or isn't) in Game Mode (and Monitor Mode) that fixes screen stuttering.

probably some post precessing effect that causes the stuttering that isn't in those mods

Movie picture with Movie motion juddered for me on Sky Q.

Hi,
As per way way back in this thread, I'm sure there is a known issue with Sky Q boxes and the signal they put out not being a rock solid 50 / 60 Hz, so its possibly the Sky box and not the tv? I posted links way back to the actual Sky forum itself confirming this.

YouTube also stutters. And you can't switch to Game Mode in bult-in apps. That really sucks...

Hi,
My tv is still on the firmware it came with (Ive refused all updates) - TPM186E_018.004.007.031 - and just tried built in Youtube, Netflix and Amazon Prime - all allow me to flick thru personal, vivid, natural, standard, movie, and game.

So, this firmware has now left personal, vivid, natural, standard, movie to choose from, but removed the game option?
This must surely be an oversigh on Phillips behalf if so?

Anyone else confirm this incase its, I dunno, a corrupted update?

Last edited:
Hi,
As per way way back in this thread, I'm sure there is a known issue with Sky Q boxes and the signal they put out not being a rock solid 50 / 60 Hz, so its possibly the Sky box and not the tv? I posted links way back to the actual Sky forum itself confirming this.

Yea, I didn't notice it so much until I upgraded to Sky Q from Sky HD+.

Sorry for being a pain in the ar$e, but no one else able to confirm if this firmware has now left personal, vivid, natural, standard, and movie modes only to choose from with the internal apps, eg Youtube, Netflix, and Amazon Prime, but removed the game option as Radkor says happened to him?
Thanks all.

Yeah, no Game Mode and Monitor Mode in built-in apps. Please anyone confirm.

Just checked Netflix and as you say, no Game or Monitor modes. I never had any problems though with the built in Netflix app when using Movie mode.

Utterly bonkers.....just when you think Philips have got their $hit together, they forget about the game mode.........

Not sure if it's a glitch cos I haven't changed my in built app settings for so long but YouTube was still in monitor mode and Netflix when watching HDR content was in game HDR mode.

Like others have said though, my issues weren't with the in built apps.

It has been much better since the last update. Fifa on XBOX no glitches for a few days and ticker tapes are smooth.
Long may it last.

I can confirm I bit, did the update, and monitor and game mode have vanished from the built in apps.
However, as mentioned by others, they were always fine anyway to be honest.
I tried watching James May in Japan in 4k from my Amazon Fire tv box, and in the past it'd judder like hell, constantly, and now its silky smooth (whilst admittedly on game mode). My XBox One never gave me issues at any point to be fair - must have been lucky...

Just wondering if anyone else on the newer firmware is having problems with All4? Had this months ago where you try to launch All4 via the shortcut, the logo appears for a second, then it just goes back to the TV/HDMI or whatever you were watching before. Can't get it to work via the EPG either.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom