Quantcast

Philips 55PUS6703 - Motion problem

RustyMG

Standard Member
I've been reading around this for a while.
My TV is awful. It stutters so much in Fifa and when watching live football (and anything else really). Ticker tapes on the news are also very noticeable. I've tried every picture setting possible from all the forum guidelines...

One question - I can't see where to switch HDR on/off, can anyone tell me?

I arranged an exchange a while back but decided to keep it as I'd hoped a software fix would be available and also I love the Ambilight tech.

Hoping the latest update which sounds like it's imminent will solve it this time otherwise it's going to have to go.
You cant switch HDR off - it automatically enables HDR mode when an HDR signal is detected.

Bossworld

This is finally some great news!

Is the TV still working as it should days later?
I believe so - I stress believe, because I've got two small kids and a report to write for my masters, so I've not been near the TV myself in over week. I put my faith in Philips and bought a 7304 for upstairs, which seems a better set but A) still has its own issues - I had no sound after initial setup and B) laughably comes with that leaflet earlier in this thread, advising to use Game mode.

I missed the follow up call from AO, given the current circumstances I've not chased up again but will send an email now.

I've been reading around this for a while.
My TV is awful. It stutters so much in Fifa and when watching live football (and anything else really). Ticker tapes on the news are also very noticeable. I've tried every picture setting possible from all the forum guidelines...

One question - I can't see where to switch HDR on/off, can anyone tell me?

I arranged an exchange a while back but decided to keep it as I'd hoped a software fix would be available and also I love the Ambilight tech.

Hoping the latest update which sounds like it's imminent will solve it this time otherwise it's going to have to go.
If it's an XBOX One X, then you have to actually go some distance to get HDR working within the XBOX settings, so you could always look to disable that. If it's a PS4 pro, not sure.

Either way, the cycling through Game mode used to fix it, so this secondary fix was to prevent the need for that cycling. If you're still getting the stutters on tickertapes, with game mode enabled (& cycled), something else sounds wrong.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue where every time you startup your PS4 you have to cycle through the picture styles and select Game Mode every time? Kinda becoming an unnecessary hassle.

Martin27Scott

Novice Member
Is anyone else experiencing this issue where every time you startup your PS4 you have to cycle through the picture styles and select Game Mode every time? Kinda becoming an unnecessary hassle.
Yes or when it starts juddering generally. I think it's been accepted as the current known fix.

SmAShY

Confirming that my first game of FIFA in weeks on HDR Game was without issue and without the need to cycle. Hopefully they’ll issue the patch soon
Do other picture modes such as 'Movie' work without judder for normal TV viewing?

Bossworld

From any source I mean?
Everything I own is hooked up to a Marantz receiver so everything effectively comes in via HDMI2, and therefore Game picture mode.

The early suggestion in this thread was to use Monitor mode but that has very little adjusment for picture quality and still exhibited the issue. The Philips addendum for the 2019 sets just advises to use game mode if you encounter judder.

I think the inbuilt Netflix app is configured on 'movie' picture mode on ours, but all I've done there is mirror my picture settings from Game. Haven't noticed any judder on that, but conversely, I think the issue is only evident on external sources anyway

Bossworld

The firmware update has broken YouTube. The set is conencted to the internet and other catch up services work, but pressing YouTube takes you to a screen saying:

Connect this TV to the internet. After a minute or so, of a screen saying 'Register' (not sure what for), it says 'Philips server not found. Try again later'

EDIT: Uninstall and reinstalled the app and it seems OK.

Darbo

The firmware update has broken YouTube. The set is conencted to the internet and other catch up services work, but pressing YouTube takes you to a screen saying:

Connect this TV to the internet. After a minute or so, of a screen saying 'Register' (not sure what for), it says 'Philips server not found. Try again later'

EDIT: Uninstall and reinstalled the app and it seems OK.
Does your TV play nicely with your marantz reciever? Because it bloody hates my Sony.

Bossworld

Does your TV play nicely with your marantz reciever? Because it bloody hates my Sony.
Mine's fine but I don't use any EasyLink/HDMI-CEC stuff. This TV only supports ARC on HDMI1, which doesn't support 4K HDR (unlike HDMI 2 and HDMI 3).

I've got an optical cable linked back for using the 'TV Audio' setting on the Marantz when I want to watch Netflix through the amp, also works fine.

Darbo

Mine's fine but I don't use any EasyLink/HDMI-CEC stuff. This TV only supports ARC on HDMI1, which doesn't support 4K HDR (unlike HDMI 2 and HDMI 3).

I've got an optical cable linked back for using the 'TV Audio' setting on the Marantz when I want to watch Netflix through the amp, also works fine.
Ah ok, I tried using cec because it worked so well with my previous telly, this one...doesn't.

Infilz

Confirming that my first game of FIFA in weeks on HDR Game was without issue and without the need to cycle. Hopefully they’ll issue the patch soon
Did you get your feedback to philips support ?
Letting them know it solved the issue and they can spread it as a firmware update ?

Bossworld

Did you get your feedback to philips support ?
Letting them know it solved the issue and they can spread it as a firmware update ?
I emailed them and gave them feedback that they had provided no context for the update, that the instructions were inaccurate and that other people were waiting on this. Never heard anything back either way. Someone else has tried to chase me via PM, for clarity, I am respecting Philips' request and won't be sending the file out given the download is tied to my email address.

I would recommend contacting their support, once the bigger issues at hand are back to some state of normality, and quote that version number from a page or two back.

Infilz

I emailed them and gave them feedback that they had provided no context for the update, that the instructions were inaccurate and that other people were waiting on this. Never heard anything back either way. Someone else has tried to chase me via PM, for clarity, I am respecting Philips' request and won't be sending the file out given the download is tied to my email address.

I would recommend contacting their support, once the bigger issues at hand are back to some state of normality, and quote that version number from a page or two back.
Thanks a lot, let's hope they take your note in consideration and create a viable procedure.

Darbo

TV updating, hopefully it's the firmware and not just an app refresh.
Edit: yep, it's the new software, halleflippinluliah.

Last edited:

Darbo

Currently watching toy story 4 on Disney+ (like a real man) and all far it's smooth as ever, standard mode with movie motion setting. Definite improvement... So far.

SmAShY

Currently watching toy story 4 on Disney+ (like a real man) and all far it's smooth as ever, standard mode with movie motion setting. Definite improvement... So far.
Movie picture with Movie motion juddered for me on Sky Q.