Philips 55PUS6703 - Motion problem

My mistake! I should have read more! I found the Philips so bad at everything in my model I wouldn't have noticed the dimming anyway. I assume your model can handle most inputs? Mine couldn't handle either my PS4 or sky q. The PS4 was the worse with moments in which the image slow down so stupid it would almost go in slow motion then speed up a few seconds later to catch up. It was unwatchable. Massive shame because it had great reviews!

My mistake! I should have read more! I found the Philips so bad at everything in my model I wouldn't have noticed the dimming anyway. I assume your model can handle most inputs? Mine couldn't handle either my PS4 or sky q. The PS4 was the worse with moments in which the image slow down so stupid it would almost go in slow motion then speed up a few seconds later to catch up. It was unwatchable. Massive shame because it had great reviews!
Don't own one, just helping a mate with his. Didn't spot anything like you discribe, sounds very odd.

Yeah my assumption is it was a faulty set. I heard they had Dodgy hdmi slots but I sounds more like it was completely screwed. Funny thing with Argos though to mention, if you contact them by phone they will (maybe depending on who you speak to) refuse to pick up smart TVs via delivery van. Apparently because smart TVs collect sign in information they won't let delivery drivers collect them because of sensitive data. They online live chat team said it was rubbish and just sorted everything out straight away but still something worth remembering. Wouldn't have fancied dragging a 50 inch telly in store to sort out which is what was suggested to me.

I have the same issues with this TV and sky q how long did you have the TV before returning it? I've had it about 6 weeks but get this motion lag even on game mode

Yeah my assumption is it was a faulty set. I heard they had Dodgy hdmi slots but I sounds more like it was completely screwed. Funny thing with Argos though to mention, if you contact them by phone they will (maybe depending on who you speak to) refuse to pick up smart TVs via delivery van. Apparently because smart TVs collect sign in information they won't let delivery drivers collect them because of sensitive data. They online live chat team said it was rubbish and just sorted everything out straight away but still something worth remembering. Wouldn't have fancied dragging a 50 inch telly in store to sort out which is what was suggested to me.

I only had it a day so was well I'm my 30 day return guarantee period. Unfortunately I don't think you could but you definitely could report your faults and disappointment. They might be willing to help out whoever you bought it from.

Have you all turned off the motion style under the advanced settings?

The default setting is terrible.

Maybe the 43" is different, but I am blown away at how good this TV is.

I paid £329 for it from Amazon, If I had paid a grand I would be fine with it.

I have no motion issues at all. The level of detail and depth has, as I said, blown me away.

No back light issues, really, really good black levels, just an amazing set.

I have it on custom.

Contrast 75
Brightness 50
Colour 50
Sharpness 2

Expert setting everything off other than dynamic contrast set to minimum

Contrast under expert settings is 85.

Remember to set motion style set to off.
Gamma is neutral.

Colour temp manual is 168 127 85

Have you all turned off the motion style under the advanced settings?

The default setting is terrible.

Maybe the 43" is different, but I am blown away at how good this TV is.

I paid £329 for it from Amazon, If I had paid a grand I would be fine with it.

I have no motion issues at all. The level of detail and depth has, as I said, blown me away.

No back light issues, really, really good black levels, just an amazing set.

I have it on custom.

Contrast 75
Brightness 50
Colour 50
Sharpness 2

Expert setting everything off other than dynamic contrast set to minimum

Contrast under expert settings is 85.

Remember to set motion style set to off.
Gamma is neutral.

Colour temp manual is 168 127 85

What size do you have?
Trying to setup my mates 43".
I believe contrast is actually the backlight setting!
And Video contrast is the usual contrast.
Is that correct?

Thanks for your reply. Yeah I have tried the motion setting completey off or on movie and doesn't make any difference, at least to my eyes.

Parts of the picture I am really impressed with. Though I keep experimenting with the "contrast style" between Off and Best suited to Picture. The latter gives miuch better black levels but the picture's brightness can noticeably fluctuate while you're watching something.

I think you're right. I actually have Contrast on 60 and Video Contrast under the expert settings on 90 I think it is.

The blacks are as good as they need to be, put on LBC radio on Sky and the log is bright and the blacks are proper black.

Dynamic Contrast set to minimum stops black crush in the lower ire ranges and gives a really good look while keeping the sub 3ire range proper black still.

I'm blown away by this set.

I had the VA NU7400 last night on loan, my local store's shop display unit was VA, I borrowed it even though I had the Philips coming, but prefer this and the Samsung has gone back this morning.

I noticed a couple of times there was a judder, but seems to have gone. Not sure what I turned off.
I wonder if it was simply setting aspect ratio to original? Maybe the set no longer scaling helps? Try that?

I should just add, I have always had Panasonic commercial plasmas and Pioneer Kuros, followed by OLEDs. The only LCDs I have had and kept was Sony W905, B&O Beovision 8 and the XE93.
I hate most LCDs, but I love this screen.

Last edited:
Hello gents, i also have a Philips 43pus6703 and i find it a great set, ambilight is also so immersive and just a great plus for a TV set, but would any of you mind sharing your full SDR and HDR settings and give out some pointers, pretty much i use the default Movie picture settings either in HD and SDR (mind it gaming or watching movies),- colour 50, brightness 50, sharpness 0, contrast (backlight depends on std viewing 50 on HDR 100) and on expert i turn absolutely everything off (aint' sure which one to use on contrast mode either off or best for picture? At the moment i use off), leave colour on default - Warm, an contrast - 85 SDR,- 100 on HDR. Have any pointers or tips how to make it even better? Thanks for the info :)

Last edited:
Yeah I have my contrast/black level at about 60 for my day setting and about 35 for night time setting.

Tried messing around with dynamic contrast but it wasn't to my taste. Its a really impressive set for the money for sure!

I've always been sensitive to motion issues with tvs.

Will try changing the aspect ration setting though, thanks for the suggestion!

Sunny93, as I said earlier, Dynamic Contrast set to minimum stops black crush in the lower ire ranges and gives a really good look while keeping the sub 3ire range proper black still.
This then pretty much matches my ISF calibrated OLED for low level detail.

Also, I have colour temp on custom and have it set to Red 168 Green 127 and Blue 85. This is pretty much spot on. Again, this was with my OLED next to it to get it looking the same. Takes away the funny looking skin tones in some scenes.

Hello gents, i also have a Philips 43pus6703 and i find it a great set, ambilight is also so immersive and just a great plus for a TV set, but would any of you mind sharing your full std and hdr settings and give out some pointers, pretty much i use the default Movie picture settings either in hd and std (mind it gaming or watching movies),- colour 50, brightness 50, sharpness 0, contrast (backlight depends on std viewing 50 on hdr 100) and on expert i turn absolutely everything off (aint' sure which one to use on contrast mode either off or best for picture? At the moment i use off), leave colour on default - Warm, an contrast - 85 std,- 100 on hdr. Have any pointers or tips how to make it even better? Thanks for the info :)

If you look back on page 1 you'll see some of my setting for SDR. Similar to what you use. I'd nudge the sharpness up to 2 or 3 though :)

Having the contrast mode on 'best for picture' i find does make the blacks go deeper so definitely worth trying out. I trsted out the opening of Star Wars The Last Jedi with it on 'best suited to picture' and the blacks were definitely inkier! Though i occassionally noticed the baklight going up and down. Worth experimenting with for sure. If you don't like it then set too off.

Also, try having the dynamic contrat mode to Minimum as suggested by gizlaroc as well, see what you think.

Still experienting with HDR but I have it on HDR Vivid and HDR contrast mode set to max. The rest of the setting are similar to SDR.

Hope that's a help!

Thank you sir's, And yeah i tried contacting Philips support about sharpness to find out which option is actually off, but to no avail they didn't give me a proper answer, because usually it it's recommended to be set to off, but now that i'm using 0 (would like to think that Philips is actually using 0 = off) i notice a little blurriness, don't know if it's my eyes or not, but it kinda looks like it's softening the image, makes me wonder?, will try using 2 when i get home as you lads recommend.

I know what you mean. I found having the sharpness on 0 made the picture (especially upscaled HD) look artificially soft. 2-3 was the sweet spot for me. Above that and the picture starts ringing.

And what preference do you use for sound? I don't have a soundbar yet, so i'm just using defaulted expert mode (probably same as standard) without any corrections, any general tips there? thanks. oh, and Mr. Krullhero don't you find using vivid with max contrast a little to extreme?

Thank you both for great answers :) really appreciate it gentleman and Mr. Gizlaroc i just tried your pointers on SDR and it makes the picture even more spectacular than it was, so thank you sir for that :) and if it wouldn't be to much of a bother would Mr. Gizlaroc share with us,- do you use the same settings for HDR? I'm probably gonna use the same settings for both definitions, just gonna set backlight and contrast to max = 100% on HDR.

Last edited:
I will post my HDR settings tomorrow mate.

This is for Netflix HDR...

Colour 60
Contrast 100
Brightness 50
Sharpness 1

Expert

colour enhancement Off
Colour temperature Warm
Contrast mode Off
HDR Plus Max
Dynamic Contrast
Video contrast 100
Gamma +2
Ultra resolution On
Everything else off.

In all honesty, I don't think the way many TVs handle HDR is great.
Even on my OLED the difference between HDR and well calibrated SDR is minimal, with me often preferring the SDR. Too often it is either too dim and image, or when there is loads of pop the mid tones can look too washed out.

I will also say that I have started to get some motion issues.
This TV doesn't detect a film source does it, you would expect it to automatically switch to a film motion mode when it detected a film source, you have to manually set it. So I have it all off now. But occasionally it does a weird almost slow motion type effect.

I really love the set apart from that though, so I have ordered a 7303 to see if the P5 processing handles it better.

For SDR I have settled on this, this is a Sky Q mini box....

Colour 47
Contrast 70
Sharpness 5
Brightness 50

Expert

Colour temp custom
Red 199 Green 145 Blue 112

colour enhancement Off
Contrast mode Off
Dynamic Contrast Off
Video contrast 100
Gamma -1
Ultra resolution On
Everything else off.

Thank you Mr. Gizlaroc for the settings, will try them out later in the evening when I get home ;) And I see you have Dynamic Contrast on Off what made you change your mind, and doesn't sharpness set to 5 start ringing? Will have to experiment, either way thanks and cheers mate :)

Sorry, sharpness is 1. My mistake.

I realised that video contrast set to 100 and regular contrast set to 70 it gave me the same results pop wise, but more natural.

I received the 43PUS7303 today.
I don't think the black level is quite as good, however, the motion is better.
Also, it does seem to handle HDR better out of the box.
One thing though, with all the sharpness off it seems there is still some sort of edge enhancement going on. I guess that is their P5 processing in action.

I think the overall image from the 6703 is better once set up right, however, the motion is sport on with the 7303, plus it has Android which is nicer to use.
The other thing is being able to set RGB properly, on screen and with the ambilight. Haha

Hi guys!

Anyone contacted Philips about the motion processing on the Netflix/ amazon app? I’m having the same issue on my set but with Netflix (don’t have prime video but might do a free trial later to see if it also has the same issue). I’m gonna contact Philips and see if they know a work around.

It’s basically the fast soap opera effect which is in full sway. It’s a bit like it’s always set to low and despite you setting it to off, it just keeps being engaged. With certain camera shots and action (guessing its when the camera frame rate changes) just go really smooth all of a sudden. It also happened with my last set (exchanged due to the picture going black with an electrical fault).

If I play Netflix using the Xbox one X, everything is dandy and the motion is perfect, just like it is for the Sky plus HD box. It’s almost like the smart features can’t get rid of this motion processing. I’m fully updated so there’s nothing else for me to try. Also the motion can be a little juddering in the Netflix app. The like not entirely smooth then ultra smooth. It’s basically like the internal software doesn’t know how to handle it so does this odd mix. Mostly it’s too smooth. Put an app in via hdmi and an external source, and it shows the Philips clearly has some Smart software issues as the set finally gets the motion tracking it deserves.

Also, with regards to HDR, at this price range and nit level (I think this tv is 400 nits), HDR is simply internal software trying to use video settings in order to enhance the picture. The set is actually not that bad, I have a panny EX700 upstairs (another excellent mid-level tv) and I would say this set is better at hdr gaming. But, it’s simply just the settings (Philips have always had better, more exstensive calibration options) emulating HDR. Unless your set is 800nits minimum (and well over a grand at my size of 65”), you won’t get any HDR worth writing home about. Someone who has calibrated their set well, would appear to get better HDR than someone who hasn’t. On this set HDR vivid with full colour enhancement and HDR plus on max gives the best pop - and to those not in the know might ‘appear’ to be something special. But that’s because it’s contrasting the peak brightness to the extreme (trying to emulate the effects of a nit level beyond its technical ability) all cheaper sets work this way be it Samsung, Sony, hisense, Philips, LG etc when trying to create an HDR effect. I’d go as far as saying this set is good for mimicking HDR. It’s one of the better examples. HDR is one of the most abused features in marketing this year.

Can you stick the app in game mode?
Is that possible?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom